Questions

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Questions

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm

First specific question:The last line in ITA really intrigues me:"Stones must learn learn to fly". I know this is meant metaphorically, but does it mean the climbers physically(as stones), or spiritually(the biblical quote"and the rocks wil cry out" comes to mind).Or have I totally missed it-or can it have any meaning I want it to? Anyway-its a POWERFUL lyic,esp. a closing one of THE EPIC!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Is the "icy" breath that opens and closes the CD significant?, and whose idea was it?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Questions

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:09 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:First specific question:The last line in ITA really intrigues me:"Stones must learn learn to fly". I know this is meant metaphorically, but does it mean the climbers physically(as stones), or spiritually(the biblical quote"and the rocks wil cry out" comes to mind).Or have I totally missed it-or can it have any meaning I want it to? Anyway-its a POWERFUL lyic,esp. a closing one of THE EPIC!
Its just wrapping up the lyrics that happen at the beginning where "we fall like stones" occurs two or three times. Thus, "stones must learn to fly". We're all earth-bound, we wish not to be, so learning to fly is essential. Its all spiritual to me, not to be translated literally.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:02 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Is the "icy" breath that opens and closes the CD significant?, and whose idea was it?
Well, I would say it's significant in terms of mood. More than that, you must decide. They were more or less my idea, though the fact they wound up bookending the album was something of an accident when we decided on the running sequence of the songs...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:30 am

Speaking of the running sequence of the songs-I think it is totally inspired. Esp. SSOTS seguing into Sun Song, and Into thin Air going into Rest-as far as sound,feeling,emotion,mood,everything. I can't think of a recent album that seemed to be so perfectly sequenced-seriously. ALso, Fred-I was wandering if on EWN and Rest did you send the whole finished music to Carl and let him write the lyrics from there, or was it more collaborative.It really is inspired. It made me think of a comment I heard Steve Howe make about when fans came to them during the banner years(TYA,Fragile,CTTE),and said "did you two write this together?-you need to do that more often".And his comment was that "That would be the end of the true creativity process", it was spontaneous, or something that just happened. The same with the way JA's vocalizations work perfectly with Steve's writing on SS.It's all really pure magic.This may be your "CTTE"!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:42 am

He basically had the completed music to work with. I had my ideas about melodies and such but I didn't share them, I let him start from scratch so-to-speak. I think the couple things I maybe did show him he ignored *lol*

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:52 pm

I hope Carl will get on and read these questions-I'm really curious about the lyrics on EWN-I get general ideas, but wander if his intention is to be known, or if its to be left up to the listener.

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:23 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:I hope Carl will get on and read these questions-I'm really curious about the lyrics on EWN-I get general ideas, but wander if his intention is to be known, or if its to be left up to the listener.
This.

Also, after hearing his voice multiple times a day for the past week now, I have come to the conclusion that he is one of my favorite singers ever. I know it's kind of stupid to make quick decisions, but I can't get over how awesome his voice sounds. It's sort of how I was with hearing John Wetton's voice for the first time. I was surprised and thought I hated it at first (Same with Carl's), but I got used to it and realized how intense but angelic (all the same) it is.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Yeah, it's funny because I love JW's voice and of course I love Carl's but I wouldn't have necessarily thought they sound similar. And then Carl did some things in Ember and I realized, dang, he sounds like Wetton! It was awesome :D

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Have you guys ever considered writing a piece that's similar to King Crimson's style before? I think that'd be really cool personally, and very different for the band. And with the band members you guys have now, it'd be really easy to pull off. For say, the next album be more experimental rock styled like KC sort of was, it would be wicked awesome. But I mean, of course this is all just one man's opinion, and I doubt I'm changing any minds. :P

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 am

Shadoshi wrote:Have you guys ever considered writing a piece that's similar to King Crimson's style before? I think that'd be really cool personally, and very different for the band. And with the band members you guys have now, it'd be really easy to pull off. For say, the next album be more experimental rock styled like KC sort of was, it would be wicked awesome. But I mean, of course this is all just one man's opinion, and I doubt I'm changing any minds. :P
Can you imagine the response on PE over that one?

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:16 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:
Shadoshi wrote:Have you guys ever considered writing a piece that's similar to King Crimson's style before? I think that'd be really cool personally, and very different for the band. And with the band members you guys have now, it'd be really easy to pull off. For say, the next album be more experimental rock styled like KC sort of was, it would be wicked awesome. But I mean, of course this is all just one man's opinion, and I doubt I'm changing any minds. :P
Can you imagine how much none of us should give a crap what people who can easily be considered as snobby-prog-fanboy-elitists with no sense of reality should care? I mean honestly, forget them. Who cares? That place isn't the only source to gain fans (and apparantly you'll end up just simply losing more than gaining from that place anyway judging by how you guys act about it). Besides, I never said GH had to do this or I'd 'never listen to them or trust them again'. I just was throwing ideas out there.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:10 pm

Shadoshi wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote:
Can you imagine how much none of us should give a crap what people who can easily be considered as snobby-prog-fanboy-elitists with no sense of reality should care? I mean honestly, forget them. Who cares? That place isn't the only source to gain fans (and apparantly you'll end up just simply losing more than gaining from that place anyway judging by how you guys act about it). Besides, I never said GH had to do this or I'd 'never listen to them or trust them again'. I just was throwing ideas out there.
You are correct, but there are 3 threads on the front page of PE right nowand they're all getting a lot of attention-mostly poistive-and I think this will really help sales. I don't care so much about opinion-believe me I've been burned over there more times than I'd care to mention, but to me its still a "necessary" evil.And GH is getting A LOT of international atention thru them.I just can't help myself.But personally, I don't see this band moving in a King Crimson kind of way. KC is under Mr. Fripp's dictatorship usually, and GH is becoming more and more of a collaborative,diplomatic band,and even theyre newer style doesn't quite fit the KC mold(IMO). But a cover would be nice., How about "Red" or "Sleepless"with Steve thumping on bass?

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:53 pm

There you go, that's what I'm talking about! :D
I mean, I know it's super doubtful, but if GH decided to keep their 'edge' on the next album, I was thinking maybe a cover of Larks' Tongues In Aspic Pt. 2 or something. I guess that'd be a little too obscure, but something like that would be awesome to hear with more keyboards and the GH technology. Ah, how a fan can wish. :P

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 pm

Ok guys-just imagine that the COA sales go thru the roof, and you're given a chance to tour, or at least do a show or two in the next year or so. What are the chance that you'd do the whole COA in its entirety in sequential order. I personally think it would be amazing. Start out with Long and Long Ago,Lisette,One King,etc.,then go into COA, and end with a couple of old classics,etc.Anyway, just dreaming. Manyband are doing their entire new albums live(like PT-which I personally don't think deserves to all be done live). David Gilmour really pulls it off on his new DVD. And when I saw DT in 2000 and they did Scenes from a memory in its entirety-it was stunning. Ponder on it........................