Wow, only by an act of God!

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Wow, only by an act of God!

Post by Shadoshi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 pm

I couldn't resist starting a new thread for this simply because my story is so weird and I felt the need for it to be known. Okay, it's obvious to tell that I am posting a thread on Culture of Ascent simply because I obtained my copy of Culture of Ascent, but to understand why this is so unique to any other story in-lies with what heck I went through on Friday.

First off, at my school, I've had a project I've had to do that we've been given 9 weeks to do, and I waited till the last week to get it done. It counted as two exam grades and if we failed either section of it we'd fail the class basically. I was nervous the whole day because we had to present our information and I knew I wasn't prepared at all! Long story short, after almost getting an office referral, vomiting from nervousness, and nearly having a nervous breakdown, I ended up getting a 100 on my exam grade and the teacher said it was one of the best presentations she had seen all day :shock:

So after all of that craziness, I was on a total wave of peace and happiness for the rest of the day. So what do I find in the mail when I get home from school? Oh yes! My GH album(s) came early! :D
How could the day get any better!?

I sat down and listened away, and by the end, my mind was simply blown out of my brain (but luckily I had a spare). So here's my reaction:

South Side of the Sky - That intro is insanely cool. I love how the sampler on the website tricks you into thinking that's how you guys started the song, but no, you had better tricks up your sleeves. I love this cover, and I honestly don't like Yes' SSotS version very much. One of my least favorite sections of Fragile. But this cover actually makes me appreciate the song more, and I love it now more than ever (but I like GH's version better, sorry Yes).

Sun Song - I was so skeptical about this song, because I thought it was going to be the weakest song on the album, but this isn't true at all. The bass lines are awesome here, and the instrumental section is genius. I love the lyrics a LOT also, they are very creative! Overall the song is pure fun.

Life by Light - Man, I can't get over how awesome the ambiance is here. The harp-ish sounds and aquatic and icy feel is so perfect. Jon is of course, an amazing addition, and his parts are awesome. I love this song on a high scale, and it is probably my second favorite track.

Note: I have one question.... On 4:41 - 4:53 of the song, is the Viola or Cello out of tune here? It sounds really weird to me. :?

Ember Without Name - My GOD. Never have I connected with a piece of music so easily in my life. VERY EASILY my favorite Glass Hammer song, and will be for possibly a VERY long time. Everything down to the last note on this song is absolute genius. I can't get over how mind-blowing this song is. Don't get me wrong here guys, it's NOT that this song is the most technical on the album, no, I know I'm young and many of the older prog fans believe that is all the younger generation of prog listeners would be interested in, but no. The lyrics and the composition. They both are so absolutely perfect and beautiful here, I can't explain it. The samplers don't do justice for the song. There is so much going on it's almost too much to take in even on a second listen through. The vocal lines and String Trio are absolutely amazing here. And I can't get over how awesome Matt's snare and cymbal work are here. Awesome awesome song. I want more like it.

Into Thin Air - I like how the album goes from intense new-age GH sound to a more classic GH sounding epic here. It really brings the album to a circle that it needed to hit, and it hit it well. The piano intro reminds me of Lex Rex, yet the vocals on top of it reminds me of TIS. A perfect blend. Moving later on, not as complex as EWN for sure, but just as easily complex in lyrical meaning, which is what this song seems to be made for. The first half I absolutely love, I only wish more of that new-age GH intensity had been used in the last half of the song. It doesn't live up to EWN in my opinion, but it most definitely an awesome song. I actually just realized that I love the ending to it the best, it has a very epic last few minutes for sure.

Rest - Beautiful. I can barely say more. The intro keyboard ambiance haunts and scares me. The chord progression and melody is perfect. The chorus makes me nearly cry. The ending, left me feeling complete and whole, especially with the LBL reprise.

But when it ended...
I begged for more. I only wish the album had been longer because I loved it that much.

So overall, my track order goes in this manner:

- Ember Without Name
- Life By Light
- Rest
- Sun Song
- Into Thin Air
- South Side of the Sky

I hate to say it... I like this album more the The Inconsolable Secret, :cry:
And I use the crying smiley because I loved TIS so much and considered it my third favorite album of all time. And I had it set in my mind for the whole time I knew COA was going to be released that I would still like TIS more. Sorry Steve, I still love TIS, but COA was just slightly better. I was shocked that I liked it more, but I guess I have to just get over it and except that COA is the best GH album of all time (for now at least), I can't wait for the next album, but you guys get a break first okay? You deserve it for this!

Oh, and tell Carl I love his vocals and am now a Salem Hill fan because of this album! :lol:

(Edit)

Ya'know what? I feel stupid now. It seems there already is a thread for posting personal opinions on the album. Excuse my ignorance. :oops:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Haha, what are you afraid of? That the big scary moderator is going to frown at you?

I will use your topic to say that I going to ignore all of your spoiler opinions and simply look foward to my copy, which has a long journey up to Minnesota before it joins me here in the libraries and studying coves of Chicago. Maybe it can keep me company by the time I finish my phonetics lab - analyzing waveforms of vowel formants involves lots and lots of peaks and valleys.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm

GOT IT!!! Just starting to listen to it and am VERY excited!!!! Let you know when I hear more...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]