Favorite Song

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Favorite Song

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:49 pm

I know this will change day to day, but right now "Ember without name" slightly beats out "SunSong", and "Rest". Perfect song in ALL aspects!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:50 pm

My order:

- Ember Without Name
- Rest
- Life By Light
- Sun Song
- Into Thin Air
- South Side of the Sky

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:04 pm

My order:
1)EWN
2)SS
3)Rest
4)ITA
5)SSOTS
6)LBL

but it is subject to change, EWN and SS are very close!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 am

Mine already changed again! :lol:

- Ember Without Name
- Life By Light
- Rest
- Into Thin Air
- Sun Song
- South Side of the Sky

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Still listening, processing, and working on writing up my review, however, the track that consistantly knocks my socks off, is Into Thin Air.

Golly, I just wish the ending 3 minutes were more like 9 minutes!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:26 pm

Into Thin Air is definetely growing on me and I like the way it mixes the more familiar GH sound with the more dissonant and dark sound towards the end,I am definetely catching onto the ascending feel of the piece as a whole-it is a great epic.

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 am

I like Into Thin Air, but I still can't get over how the first 10 minutes kind of do nothing but build and build. Then the 10 - 15 section is amazing. But the only major explosion the song has is the Guitar solo at the end. And because that riff (the one that starts at 14:27) played underneath the solo had been played already for about 2 minutes straight, it's not much of an explosion in the end. It kind of bores me. I understand that the band were trying to quietly play the riff to have it build-up and then have it blast in the end for 'an epic solo to close the climax' but I'm afraid that (because I'm not a fan of shredding styled guitar) it doesn't do much for me. But I love the ending 3 minutes.

Yeah, the truth is out, I don't particularly like the guitar solos on the album much. Not say I don't like Shreddy, I do, but I just don't like... Well, 'shredding'. :lol:
But the riffs that he plays are awesome. And I love the way his guitar sounds. Besides, I respect that he is an awesome player, and that's all that really matters I would think.

(edit)
Also, in the Guitar solo's defense. I love EWN's guitar solo (The one kind of in the middlish end). It's actually really good in my opinion.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:00 pm

It's still "Ember" for me, I don't see that changing.
And now for something completly different

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Picking a favorite is a tough one. I've been spinning the record once a day or so for the past week and can't settle on one favorite. Leading candidate though: Sun Song. The entire album is delectable, but this song is just bloody brilliant.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:46 pm

:dito:
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:39 am

Its a pretty even toss-up now for me with SS,EWN, and Rest., and the other three are close behind! The most CONSISTANT PROG album in a long,long time-maybe 1972(CTTE).

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Its a pretty even toss-up now for me with SS,EWN, and Rest., and the other three are close behind! The most CONSISTANT PROG album in a long,long time-maybe 1972(CTTE).
That might be overreacting. I mean, my own list of top three albums would go:

Close To The Edge
Larks' Tongues In Aspic
The Inconsolable Secret

Now notice that COA isn't on the top three. I do believe it's GH's second best album, but TIS still is on another level. COA kind of steps back and away from the TIS based music and sound, but not in a bad way obviously. But for me, I just happened to like TIS' style more. And of course, it's all opinion.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:11 pm

You guys are so weird. I don't get your priorities at all.

The best song is clearly Life by Light, just because it so perfectly captures that art-induced longing for the transcendent.

Followed closely by Into Thin Air, which I really like but mainly didn't choose as #1 because it's hard for me to process long epics because my attention will wander. Maybe it will rise after I get really used to it, like what happened for Having Caught a Glimpse.

But I don't know, Rest is so good too!!!

So that's

1. Life By Light
2. Into Thin Air
3. Rest (which may be a sort of 2.5 rather than a 3)
4. South Side of the Sky
5. Ember Without Name
6. Sun Song

Why do you people like Ember over Into Thin Air? There's clearly no contest!!! ;)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:You guys are so weird. I don't get your priorities at all.

The best song is clearly Life by Light, just because it so perfectly captures that art-induced longing for the transcendent.

Followed closely by Into Thin Air, which I really like but mainly didn't choose as #1 because it's hard for me to process long epics because my attention will wander. Maybe it will rise after I get really used to it, like what happened for Having Caught a Glimpse.

But I don't know, Rest is so good too!!!

So that's

1. Life By Light
2. Into Thin Air
3. Rest (which may be a sort of 2.5 rather than a 3)
4. South Side of the Sky
5. Ember Without Name
6. Sun Song

Why do you people like Ember over Into Thin Air? There's clearly no contest!!! ;)
Isn't it amazing how such devoted GH fans can have totally opposing views,you're list is like totally inverted from mine. EWN is so awesome cause it blazes new territory without losing the great song stucture,lyrics,and performances all GH classics have! And those lyrics-are SO intriguing and thought provoking. Don't get me wrong you know I love em all!

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm

I would choose Ember over Into Thin Air any day. I like both songs, but Ember is one of the most intricate, delicate, yet intense and blazing songs I have ever heard by this band. The lyrics are downright genius, and the string trio just blows the song into a huge spectrum of infinite awesome with their ambient-to-edgy ratio of parts. Every single line sang keeps me more and more excited to hear the next. Into Thin Air, while having beautiful vocal lines and excellent musicianship, does not much other than build for 10 minutes only to have that slight explosion near the end. Ember has a major compilation of 'build then explode' sections and keeps every part as interesting as the last and next. There is too much of a difference between the two pieces in this sense. Into Thin Air is great for that 'mountain climbing' experience, but Ember Without Name is more for those who wish to be constantly blown to bits and rebuilt again in a soothing repetition, which to me, is how a edged and carved-out epic should be.