Culture of Ascent - Suzie

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Culture of Ascent - Suzie

Post by Octavian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:05 pm

Most of my friends don't like Prog much. It can't be helped, I live in an uncivilised country obviously. This conversation has now occurred 3 times, with different friends who are unaware of much prog:

"Hey, who are you listening to?"
"They're called Glass Hammer, this is the latest album."
"That singer is awesome!"

I feel the same way, on my first play of the CD I listened to SSoS and stopped the CD to replay it a few times. I didn't want to have to stop listening to the track! :)

I've replayed old GH stuff to try and work out whether Suzie has always kicked so much derriere, and I don't hear the same stuff going on in Run Lisette. So, I don't know what good thing has happened, but the singing on SSoS is absolutely classy - pure, rich, with conviction.

Someone else said that this is what you'd get if Annie Haslam had sung with Yes, but I think Suzie is better than that.

Is it because it's a Yes cover? Does anyone else think that this singing is amongst the best ever heard on a prog song?

:)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Culture of Ascent - Suzie

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 pm

Octavian wrote:Most of my friends don't like Prog much. It can't be helped, I live in an uncivilised country obviously. This conversation has now occurred 3 times, with different friends who are unaware of much prog:

"Hey, who are you listening to?"
"They're called Glass Hammer, this is the latest album."
"That singer is awesome!"

I feel the same way, on my first play of the CD I listened to SSoS and stopped the CD to replay it a few times. I didn't want to have to stop listening to the track! :)

I've replayed old GH stuff to try and work out whether Suzie has always kicked so much derriere, and I don't hear the same stuff going on in Run Lisette. So, I don't know what good thing has happened, but the singing on SSoS is absolutely classy - pure, rich, with conviction.

Someone else said that this is what you'd get if Annie Haslam had sung with Yes, but I think Suzie is better than that.

Is it because it's a Yes cover? Does anyone else think that this singing is amongst the best ever heard on a prog song?

:)
First things first. She would have sung more on COA, but she was pregnant and living 5 hours from here. She's moving back next summer I think.
Lisette was super low for Susie. That's why Bethany sings it live. I think she does an amazing job on IS however.
Robert Streets produced her vocals on SSoS. The credit goes to him and her. Fred and I just watched.
Oh yes - she's nothing like Annie Haslam. I love Annie and she's one of the main reasons I like working with female vocalists. But Susie and her are two very different singers.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Culture of Ascent - Suzie

Post by esteban » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 pm

Octavian wrote: I've replayed old GH stuff to try and work out whether Suzie has always kicked so much derriere, and I don't hear the same stuff going on in Run Lisette. So, I don't know what good thing has happened, but the singing on SSoS is absolutely classy - pure, rich, with conviction.
We had a similar reaction to the encore at the Tivoli concert last year. That version of SSotS rocked hard throughout - and the forum was all about how much derriere had been kicked by Suzie in particular and the band as a whole. In comparison to that, I was originally taken aback by the more ambient feel of the CoA sampler on the GH website, but I became a believer on hearing the CD version. Gave me major goosebumps thanks to the contrasting feel.

Curious, I was just listening to "Lisette" today and trying to decide if Bethany had the solo. The high notes in that solo are where a good alto voice can sing with power, which is what I thought I heard. If Suzie took that solo, then she fooled me into thinking she was a solid alto.

But as to pure, rich, and with conviction - add "Lirazel" to that list for me, especially the Belmont rendition.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Bethany sung the '...the horse and rider...' alto part- she nailed it on the Belmont DVD, fyi.

Susie does the high part overtop
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03