South Side of the Sky

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

South Side of the Sky

Post by Octavian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm

I like this cover, it's got a lot of subtle twists on the original. I think it would have gone well on the Tales From Yesterday album, in preference to the somewhat dodgier version by Cairo.

The intro reminds me of 'The Great Debate' by Dream Theater, with some of the same harmonic language and soundscape.

I do like the sudden pianissimo verse half way through.

I have to wonder why the first note of each Chorus: "*Were* we ever colder on that day" is flattened to the minor. Deliberate? If so, why? :)

I think David is bold to play his own solo instead of Steve Howe's, but I'd like to have heard an interpretation of the Howe solo instead of (what appears to me) fresh material.

Lelulily

Post by Lelulily » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 pm

The minor "were..." , yes, was deliberate. Why? Because Fred said so, and he's the man. :wink:

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:07 am

No other female vocalist could come come close to covering that song like Susie does, that's why no female has tried.It's a hard song to sing-and she nails it!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 am

Lelulily wrote:The minor "were..." , yes, was deliberate. Why? Because Fred said so, and he's the man. :wink:
*lol* Well, if you want a technical answer, harmonically it's the right note given what's going on in the background. The organ is hitting that exact same note. It's unambiguously a minor chord, not an open or major one like the verses. And it was the melody on the original after all. It's the same note as "..on that day", and you wouldn't make that major now would you?? :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Lelulily

Post by Lelulily » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 am

That's what I meant to say. :)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:29 am

Lelulily wrote:That's what I meant to say. :)
I should point out that I wound up quoting you but I was addressing my comments to Octavian :)

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 am

Oh yeah? :twisted:

I'm listening to both the Yes version and the somewhat better produced (but worse) Shadow Gallery version, and finally the Glass Hammer version.

It sounds to me like the instruments are playing a perfect fifth on that quaver and only introduce the minor third later in the bar. It's hard to pick out, and seeing as you played it perhaps you can confirm if indeed there is a minor third being played on the first beat of the bar, as you alledge? :)

I think that the chord is major on beat one, then becomes minor following. It doesn't sound awkward because the accompaniment is arpeggiated and the harmonies are kinda quartal, with lots of 7th and 9th feel.

Whaddaya think? :wink:

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Hehe- well, according to what the instruments are playing in the background it's not. The organ hits a minor third, the bass and the guitar hit minor thirds in another note or two and you can hear it pretty clearly during the fade-out solo, no one hits anything but a minor third, ever, anywhere in that riff... now the thing is, Jon DOES sort of veer a little sharp on that note, toward a major, in several places. But to my ear, frankly, that's just him being wrong :p :D He makes it work, especially in their mix because things are harder to hear and a bit more ambiguous. In ours I felt we kind of needed to nail it down. But short of isolating the tracks that's the best argument I can make. :)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm

I'd love to hear ya'll do a Gentle Giant cover like "On Reflection", or "Proclamation" with all of the intricate vocal parts. Fred,Steve,Susie, and Carl could do a good job with those. Have ya'll ever considered this-I amagine their sound could be "modernized" lke SSOTS was.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:12 pm

So... what did JA say when he heard the minor third? You had access to the horses mouth... :D

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Octavian wrote:So... what did JA say when he heard the minor third? You had access to the horses mouth... :D
He didn't say anything because I'm pretty sure in his mind that's the note he was singing :D

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:42 pm

I have a new question. How many vocal tracks were used in SSOTS? Can you explain who was singing them? It feels like there are often 3 'groups' singing, some groups of just a solo line, others singing in harmony.