Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

The Compilations

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:10 am

Steve and Fred,

I just have to say, that The Compilations CD has been getting a LOT of play lately for me.

The live version of Time Marches On gives me chills ever time I listen to it.

I never realised that Air Born was actaully a song by Camel! I've been filling out my 'Classics of Prog' collection, and just bought Moonmadness last week.

Of course, those privledged few who received the symphonic version of Heroes and Dragons as a Christmas Present a few years ago love having this on CD now too.

As I've posted elsewhere, In the Court of Alkinoos remains a high favorite GH song for me, and I truly belive it represents a peak for GH (not that CoA was a step down!) in songwriting, performance, and lyrics that takes the best of so many aspects of your work.

Just felt this CD earned it's own thread ;-)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: The Compilations

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Steve and Fred,

I just have to say, that The Compilations CD has been getting a LOT of play lately for me.

The live version of Time Marches On gives me chills ever time I listen to it.

I never realised that Air Born was actaully a song by Camel! I've been filling out my 'Classics of Prog' collection, and just bought Moonmadness last week.

Of course, those privledged few who received the symphonic version of Heroes and Dragons as a Christmas Present a few years ago love having this on CD now too.

As I've posted elsewhere, In the Court of Alkinoos remains a high favorite GH song for me, and I truly belive it represents a peak for GH (not that CoA was a step down!) in songwriting, performance, and lyrics that takes the best of so many aspects of your work.

Just felt this CD earned it's own thread ;-)
I love Moon Madness, but haven't heard it in years. I need to grab a copy.
S
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 am

I get all my Prog from Greg Walker - great guy out in UT that has just about any release, cheap, fast delivery.

Camel - MOONMADNESS (REMASTERED) $15

Has some bonus tracks, like a piano solo of 'Spirit of the Water'

http://synphonic.8m.com/
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I get all my Prog from Greg Walker - great guy out in UT that has just about any release, cheap, fast delivery.
Between him and Ken Golden at the Laser's Edge, I get about 75% of my prog. The rest is between Vintage Vinyl in NJ -an actual brick and mortar store with a prog section, and Amazon.
And now for something completly different

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 pm

So, quick (probably stupid, lol) question, but if I were to order the Compilations by itself right now, would I still get the one with that nifty mountain cover or the old cover with the TIS lettering?

Because I'm really liking the mountain cover and have yet to add The Compilations to my collection.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:21 am

NelStone wrote:So, quick (probably stupid, lol) question, but if I were to order the Compilations by itself right now, would I still get the one with that nifty mountain cover or the old cover with the TIS lettering?

Because I'm really liking the mountain cover and have yet to add The Compilations to my collection.
The mountain cover is the official cover art now, and you'd get that copy except that we're sold out! I'll try to reprint this one later - maybe near summer. And with any luck there will be another album of unreleased tracks coming out this summer - before the new album is released. I'll try to put a mountain on the cover of that one too :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
NelStone wrote:So, quick (probably stupid, lol) question, but if I were to order the Compilations by itself right now, would I still get the one with that nifty mountain cover or the old cover with the TIS lettering?

The mountain cover is the official cover art now, and you'd get that copy except that we're sold out! I'll try to reprint this one later - maybe near summer. And with any luck there will be another album of unreleased tracks coming out this summer - before the new album is released. I'll try to put a mountain on the cover of that one too :)
Yeah, the second after I posted yesterday I went over to the shop page and was confused as to why it was missing from the page. Thanks for the clear-up. I can wait for summer re-printing; it'd be a good b-day gift.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:40 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Maybe you could also make one with an elephant. On a mountain.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:36 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:And with any luck there will be another album of unreleased tracks coming out this summer - before the new album is released.
Do you mean tracks like Eiger Dreams and Forum Troll (I've only seen them available on that Snocap thing)? Or should the surprise remain a surprise? :P

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Is this album an iTunes exclusive now, or is there a way to purchase a tangible copy? I remember seeing it, but I think I missed the boat! ;'(
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Japes wrote:Is this album an iTunes exclusive now, or is there a way to purchase a tangible copy? I remember seeing it, but I think I missed the boat! ;'(
Well, it's out of print now, but if you look up the page a few posts, you can see that they'll reprint it once they have the time. Personally, I can't wait to finally hear "In The Court Of Alkinoos" when it comes back, especially after all of the praise I've seen for that song.

Of course, you typed this weeks ago, so maybe you already saw that. :P

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 pm

NelStone wrote:
Japes wrote:Is this album an iTunes exclusive now, or is there a way to purchase a tangible copy? I remember seeing it, but I think I missed the boat! ;'(
Well, it's out of print now, but if you look up the page a few posts, you can see that they'll reprint it once they have the time. Personally, I can't wait to finally hear "In The Court Of Alkinoos" when it comes back, especially after all of the praise I've seen for that song.

Of course, you typed this weeks ago, so maybe you already saw that. :P
Well, they SAID that, but it seems like at this point it's not going to happen. Honestly, I don't mind at this point because I already downloaded it on iTunes, and if it came out on CD I'd feel obligated to buy it.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.