Drums on the new album?

The latest news on the upcoming album for 09.

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Mark of Cenla

Post by Mark of Cenla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:19 pm

I sure hope the drumming is better than on Lex Rex. Some of that stuff is pretty bad. I was very happy when Matt joined the band. I'll have to hear samples before I spend my hard-earned money on the new one.

By the way, on a more positive note, I like the drumming on On to Evermore, which is one of my favorite prog albums of all time.
Mark Wellman ><>

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:41 pm

I thought the drumming on Lex was just fine, especially since that is such a keyboard heavy album. I hardly notice the percussion side of things on an album like that. I have the new Rick Wakeman DVD - 6 Wives, and the drummer uses an electronic kit. Its not a problem, since the drums are the not a big aspect of that music.
And now for something completly different

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Mark of Cenla wrote:I sure hope the drumming is better than on Lex Rex. Some of that stuff is pretty bad. I was very happy when Matt joined the band. I'll have to hear samples before I spend my hard-earned money on the new one.

By the way, on a more positive note, I like the drumming on On to Evermore, which is one of my favorite prog albums of all time.
Sound samples here...
http://glasshammer.com/pages/features/T ... sNews.html
And you can also watch / listen to the video on our home page. www.glasshammer.com
These are certainly the best sounding drums we've had (IMHO) :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Mark of Cenla

Post by Mark of Cenla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for the links. The new stuff sounds very nice. I have seven Glass Hammer CD's and the first two DVD's. I really like some of it very much, and I think you are great musicians who deserve much more recognition and compensation that you have gotten.

IMHO some of Lex Rex is outstanding, but it really bothers me in a few places. So what? I am no one important. I did not buy Shadowlands because of how Lex Rex affected me. I have all the Glass Hammer CD's that Matt plays on.

The one-minute samples and two videos sound nice, but it reminds me more of the Beatles than prog.
Mark Wellman ><>

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 am

Mark of Cenla wrote:Thanks for the links. The new stuff sounds very nice. I have seven Glass Hammer CD's and the first two DVD's. I really like some of it very much, and I think you are great musicians who deserve much more recognition and compensation that you have gotten.

IMHO some of Lex Rex is outstanding, but it really bothers me in a few places. So what? I am no one important. I did not buy Shadowlands because of how Lex Rex affected me. I have all the Glass Hammer CD's that Matt plays on.

The one-minute samples and two videos sound nice, but it reminds me more of the Beatles than prog.
buy shadowlands. you may even be able to get it with the new album at a nice price ... if you ask nice (eh it rhymes).

Mark of Cenla

Post by Mark of Cenla » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm

I hardly ever listen to prog anymore. I mostly listen to various types of jazz.

Yesterday, I received the new Transatlantic and The Culture of Ascent in the mail from Radiant Records. Those are the first prog CD's I have bought in over a year.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I cannot help how I feel. Maybe I should have kept it to myself. Drums on an album have two factors: how they sound and how they were played. The later is more important to me than the former, although it too is important. I have been a drummer and a prog fan for over forty years, and I am pretty picky about prog drumming.

Fred is one of the best prog keyboard players on the planet. He is also a good composer. With such a good foundation, all of the parts should be top notch, IMHO.

I will go away now. Mega blessings to all.
Mark Wellman ><>

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Mark, it's no problem. You're certainly welcome to your opinion and I don't mind you expressing it. Just know that the drums are how they are because that's how I like it and that's not changing for anyone. You're welcome to listen or not listen, either is fine. We love Matt and his playing but it's not always the vision we have. This album is EXACTLY what we want it to be. I would change the sound of Lex Rex somewhat to take advantage of the technology of today as opposed to that of 2002 if we were doing it now but not a singe note (hit) of what I played. For a different approach, you really should try the Trurl project. I think you'd be surprised. Cheers!

(BTW "sounds like the Beatles" is the best thing you could possibly say about Three Cheers. Thanks!)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 pm

Mark of Cenla wrote:I hardly ever listen to prog anymore. I mostly listen to various types of jazz.

Yesterday, I received the new Transatlantic and The Culture of Ascent in the mail from Radiant Records. Those are the first prog CD's I have bought in over a year.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I cannot help how I feel. Maybe I should have kept it to myself. Drums on an album have two factors: how they sound and how they were played. The later is more important to me than the former, although it too is important. I have been a drummer and a prog fan for over forty years, and I am pretty picky about prog drumming.

Fred is one of the best prog keyboard players on the planet. He is also a good composer. With such a good foundation, all of the parts should be top notch, IMHO.

I will go away now. Mega blessings to all.
sorry didn't mean it to look like i was having a go. i agree that fred is one water-holder-backer fine keyboardist that's for sure.
and whoah ... you got transatlantic album already!?! cos i'm in australia i'll have to wait a bit longer. and i'm already waiting for the many new purchases like: izz, tangent, neal morse live, GH ... man i'm gonna have to pick up some extra shifts or something to pay for all that! from a fellow drummer.