Albums starting to ship - to you :)

The latest news on the upcoming album for 09.

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:33 am

Right, time for some a-listenin' and a-lookin' - 2 CDs and 1 DVD courtesy of Sound Resources!! 8)

Chin-stroking analyses to follow! :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:50 am

I say, GH kickin' ass and takin' names!! :D

Listened to 3C4TBH last night (just the once, alas) - me likee!

I thought someone had snuck an Ozric Tentacles track on when Hyperbole started.

There's a slight Porcupine Tree flavour in places, too. I'm thinking it must be a nice change of approach to limit yourself to (relatively) short self-contained tracks after the epics of recent albums - maybe even more discipline required to keep it brief...

Once I get it over onto my phone, then more listenings will ensue! 8)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm

SuperTed wrote:There's a slight Porcupine Tree flavour in places, too. I'm thinking it must be a nice change of approach to limit yourself to (relatively) short self-contained tracks after the epics of recent albums - maybe even more discipline required to keep it brief...
It's funny you mention this, because just a few days back I picked up a few PT albums to listen to after hearing The Incident. There is a bit of a similar sound between 3CftBH and them, now that I think about it.

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

The Only PT album I have is Deadwing, and I was not a big fan. Perhaps I need to give it a few more listens...
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 am

Get In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet.

Money song man, money!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

My brother and I have both decided that Sun Down Shores is our clear favorite. Awesome job on the vocals, Steve!
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:11 am

Japes wrote:My brother and I have both decided that Sun Down Shores is our clear favorite. Awesome job on the vocals, Steve!
:::bows:::: Thank you. It wasn't easy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Boy oh boy, I just listened to it again and am awed by your amazing talent. I could listen to it over and over... and over... and over... and over... and... over... a...n ...d..........o..............................................v.........................e..............r....................

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:15 pm

After too much traveling, I have finally gotten to do some serious listening to 3 Cheers. To add to all the other suspected influences, I thought I heard some Procol Harum in there. While the album didn't blow me away immediately, like most of the other Glass Hammer works, I am finding that it is becoming really addictive I listen to it more. Hopefully, this will pass, so I can listen to some other music again...

Great job, again!
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Physicist wrote:After too much traveling, I have finally gotten to do some serious listening to 3 Cheers. To add to all the other suspected influences, I thought I heard some Procol Harum in there. While the album didn't blow me away immediately, like most of the other Glass Hammer works, I am finding that it is becoming really addictive I listen to it more. Hopefully, this will pass, so I can listen to some other music again...

Great job, again!
That is EXACTLY how I feel with Glass Hammer music. At first, it just sounds "better than good," but after several listens it turns into "absolutely amazing!!!" The Compilations, may be the album most like that to me, followed by 3 cheers.

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 am

I know this late, but I just started posting on the forum. I love the CD. It is totally different from the previous several CDs, getting away from the concept album(which GH's are great, don't get me wrong.) The coolest things Fred and Steve did which made the CD was to bring Susie more into the mix, having Fred playing the drums and guitars again, making the songs short and sweet(although dark-which is cool in itself, and having Steve playing his old Korg analog synthesizer in the background a little. It was probably fun to record this, a little easier maybe, a break for a change. I am looking forward to the next prog Cd though that Steve and Fred come with. It was fun going back to the late 60's production influences on 3 Cheers. And it was great listening to Fred slamming the drums. Susie was the bomb. Steve held it together as always. Thanks
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 pm

aswas wrote:I know this late, but I just started posting on the forum. I love the CD. It is totally different from the previous several CDs, getting away from the concept album(which GH's are great, don't get me wrong.) The coolest things Fred and Steve did which made the CD was to bring Susie more into the mix, having Fred playing the drums and guitars again, making the songs short and sweet(although dark-which is cool in itself, and having Steve playing his old Korg analog synthesizer in the background a little. It was probably fun to record this, a little easier maybe, a break for a change. I am looking forward to the next prog Cd though that Steve and Fred come with. It was fun going back to the late 60's production influences on 3 Cheers. And it was great listening to Fred slamming the drums. Susie was the bomb. Steve held it together as always. Thanks
I, quite personally, preferred the songs with male lead vocals, for the most part. I really love Susie's voice, but I prefer it more in the settings of albums like the Inconsolable Secret, where female vocals seem to fit. Don't get me wrong, anytime Susie sings is like a blessing, let's just say that David, Fred, and Steve (and Carl) is more of a blessing in albums like 3 Cheers. Sun Down Shores ftw!

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 pm

I shouldn't have excluded Fred and Steve in the vocal importance, because, you are right, it is. I was just exploring one addition or change that each of the three brought to the new CD to change the flavor of the CD. You are right, Susie's voice is perfect for the IS. I am looking forward to their next prog venture also.
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:47 pm

aswas wrote:I shouldn't have excluded Fred and Steve in the vocal importance, because, you are right, it is. I was just exploring one addition or change that each of the three brought to the new CD to change the flavor of the CD. You are right, Susie's voice is perfect for the IS. I am looking forward to their next prog venture also.
I wonder how TIS Revisited is going to sound as far as vocals go. I hate to hear it without Walter... but I AM excited to hear what new magic GH will create! (Elven Recording Magic)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:25 pm

I definitely liked Susie best on 3 Cheers. Especially those rocky songs. I mean, she was good in tIS too, but something didn't click quite as well as it did in 3 Cheers I think.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]