Got mine!

The latest news on the upcoming album for 09.

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Got mine!

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks Fred, Steve, Susie for signing my copies!

Well, this is my quick and dirty first impression, with a more thorough review to follow.

The first thing that strikes me about this CD is the production - the vocals very prominant in the mix, with lots of phasing and other effects - it's really growing on me... very slick, gives it a really unique quality that previous albums didn't have.

I absolutely adore the cover of 'Rose for Emily', an already quirky song that lends itself well to the treatment given to it.

I'm finding myself enjoying the ballads just as much as the 'proggier' peices... but what is just uncanny is how many 'nods' there are musically to songs from previous albums, especially Perelandria and On To Evermore. Seeing as a lot of people hearing this album might not have ever heard them, it's certainly not something bad at all.

Fred, Steve - I'm not sure if it was intentional, but this album, paired with the performance at 3RP this past summer really seems like you guys were trying to revisit some of the simplicity in songs that got lost after say... Shadowlands?

I did notice just a couple.. different? moments with the percussion... some cymbal hits that seemed to be 'stopping' early right before another cymbal hit - not a criticism, and maybe just because y'all explained how they were done my ears are listening for something that gives them away... anyhoo, back to the music...

I love the heavy use of electric piano and the greater return of keyboard as a large part of the music, I really missed it in CoA. I still get chills at the beginning of 'A Bitter Wind' when the Mellotron comes in.

The Curse They Weave... wow! Very industrial and electronic. I was suprised at how much I liked this track - it's something I'd expect to hear from something like Nightwish mixed with Porcupine Tree. Vocals deserve special mention on this song.

On Sun Down Shores, it was so nice to hear vocals from Steve and Fred (not that there's anything wrong with Susie, for sure!)... I love your voices guys, and you should sing way more! Again, lots of old influences in this song that I'm loving.

Schrodinger's Lament... I don't even know where to start with this one! lol it needs a couple more listens I think... :P It definately has some really fantastic instrumental work in the latter parts.

Hyperbole - More of this great new sound - not 'pop' by any means, but a more accessable sound... its really hard to give it a name, or even bands that sound like it.... Its kinda early 90's without the cheezyness or roto-toms? Ahhhhh but finally some really blazing synth work! I missed you analog waveforms! lol

I completely admit to crying (jus a lil) the first time I listened to 'Falling'. This is a rediculously beautiful song Fred. It reminds me a WHOLE bunch of the first half of 'Heaven' but with this bittersweet emotion running through it. Thanks for singing it too... your vocals are perfect here.

So... overall? I need a bunch more listens to render final judgement, but I am so far liking this album much more than I had Culture of Ascent... less 'noodly' guitar... more keys... more vocals.

I truly am thankful to know you guys, and am in awe of the gifts you've been given.

I hope this album is well received by everyone that hears it, and if they dont like it... well... who cares! It's clearly something that meant a lot to you all.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 am

::chirp:: ::chirp::

Cmon guys!!!! Discuss! reply!!! flame!!!! It's a new GH album and theres no posts on the forum for 48 hours?!!?!?!?

:twisted:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I said it in the other topic and I'll say it here: it's a great album. I think the experimentation with the usual GH sound and the shorter track lengths have really worked for it. It also seems way more accessible to non-prog fans; I can see why songs are being put on rock band.

Susie sounds great, the guitars sound great, the bass sounds great, the drums sound great. Everything sounds great!

My favorite song is definitely "The Curse They Weave". It's overly catchy. I also really love "The Lure Of Dreams" and "A Bitter Wind".

Don't really care for "Schrodinger's Lament", but that is only because I don't like excessive amounts of talking (or, in this case, rambling) in songs. Musical parts of the song are good, though.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Can't yet say anything haven't got my copy...Waiting,waiting,waiting

unusal for German postorder to be so slow.....
The world is smaller than you think!

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:51 am

Finally got mine. Well worth waiting for. Once again a very nice suprise......

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Well, one album thoroughly given a good going-over (aurally-speaking) and it is indeed mighty! 8)

Well-paced and feeling quite stripped-down, it's an album that, once I start listening to it, I end up going right through to the end as it flows so well. A rare thing these days!

It's definitely a different approach to the GH sound but it's done so deftly that it fits right in with the canon of work that precedes it - this is no Spinal Tap Mark II free-form jazz combo! :lol:

I'm grooving along to the heavier outings at the moment so The Lure of Dreams, Sleep On, The Curse They Weave and Hyperbole are to the fore at the moment but maybe it's just 'cos I'm ingesting too much caffeine! :P

Top album - can't fault it (not that I'd want to of course...)

So when's the UK tour dates announced? :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 am

And German Tour dates....

asbury

Post by asbury » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm late jumping in on this, but I am really enjoying 3 Cheers. Excellent production and great flow, as others have pointed out.

The standout track to me is Hyperbole. Love the music, the lyrics, and the emotion -- especially how the how song builds to the "Don't you think ..." passage right after the keyboard solo.

Maybe the biggest surprise is how much I love the "softer" songs on the album. Lure of Dreams and The Curse They Weave were instant favorites, but Come On, Come On, Mid-Life Weird, and A Bitter Wind are getting just as many listens.

Great album. I've really enjoyed the different sound more than I might have guessed.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 am

Cool!!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm

That's ok. I still haven't posted my opinion yet either.

I think I'm aiming for the most hyperbolic ratio of laziness of response to awesomeness of album.

I'm pretty sure that makes me the winner.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 pm

I absolutely LOVE Steve's voice in Sun Down Shores!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.