Page 1 of 3

3RP Review

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 pm
by Bnielsen
Hey y'all

Just got home from Pittsburgh and working merch for Steve and the gang at 3RP.

Their set was pretty awesome! I'll write more when I get a moment.

from what I can recall: (and corrected by Steve)

Tales of the Great Wars
The Lure Of Dreams (new)
Cup of Trembling
A Bitter Wind (new)
Glass Darkly
The Mid-life Weird (new)
Fred, Matt drum solo with some bass from Steve
Chronotheme
A Maker of Crowns
South Side of the Sky

Little help from Steve/Fred or anyone else here - I know I botched the list...

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:46 am
by Sam Gamgee
Awesome! I'm really disappointed I couldn't be there! But I'm sure it was awesome, as always...

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 am
by bb
It was indeed awesome. The band sounded great. Fred had everyone mesmerized, Susie was in fantastic voice, and Steve / Dave / Matt played with their usual excellence. Even the one blooper that I managed to catch sounded good! (ie it didn't really matter.) It looked to me like the audience was really hooked.

Fred was grumbling to me afterwards about some sort of goof he made on a solo; I dunno, maybe he should play it that way all the time... :D

We haven't been to the Roadhouse before, and it's a super venue. Betty and I will have to find some reason to go there again.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:19 am
by Kurt
I'm so glad I went. My two friends and I were stoked to see so many awesome bands- we could hardly believe it when Glass Hammer exceeded our unrealistically high expectations. Fred and Steve singing again, extended solos, and everyone just generally rocking out was lots of fun.

Fantastic show- and getting to talk to and hang out with GH was more than we could have hoped for. Definitely the best weekend of my year.

Re: 3RP Review

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:02 am
by MayorOfLongview
Bnielsen wrote:Hey y'all

Just got home from Pittsburgh and working merch for Steve and the gang at 3RP.

Their set was pretty awesome! I'll write more when I get a moment.

from what I can recall:

Tales of Great Wars
New Song
Chronotheme
New Song
Through the Glass Darkly
A Cup of Trembling
New Song
A Maker of Crowns
South Side of the Sky

Little help from Steve/Fred or anyone else here - I know I botched the list...

Tales of the Great Wars
The Lure Of Dreams (new)
Cup of Trembling
A Bitter Wind (new)
Glass Darkly
The Mid-life Weird (New)
Fred, Matt drum solo with some bass from Steve
Chronotheme
A Maker of Crowns
South Side of the Sky

Its All Too Much (Beatles tune - Chattanooga show only)

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm
by esteban
Ya know, Chronotheme was just a beast live at the Chattanooga venue, and probably better at the Roadhouse. Quite pleased to see that one dusted off and reinvigorated.

Glad to see y'all did the Matt/Fred drum-fest again, that really added a lot of fun to the set.

Re: 3RP Review

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:54 pm
by asbury
MayorOfLongview wrote:Tales of the Great Wars
The Lure Of Dreams (new)
Cup of Trembling
A Bitter Wind (new)
Glass Darkly
The Mid-life Weird (New)
Fred, Matt drum solo with some bass from Steve
Chronotheme
A Maker of Crowns
South Side of the Sky

Its All Too Much (Beatles tune - Chattanooga show only)
Any chance of the performance being released in some format? I know there's a DVD from all the performers at last year's 3RP, but it has only two or three songs from each group. Probably dreaming here, but it would be great if the whole set were available. (But, I'll be sure to get a 3RP DVD if that's my only option!)

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 pm
by FredProgGH
Well, there was no multitrack recording done so the audio will be bootleg quality at best (I'm guessing a stereo board mix). And there's a few moments I'd prefer left to the vagaries of recollection and not subjected to too much scrutiny. :P But I hope at least parts of it come out in some form, even if the audio is a bit sub-par.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:49 am
by Japes
FredProgGH wrote:Well, there was no multitrack recording done so the audio will be bootleg quality at best (I'm guessing a stereo board mix). And there's a few moments I'd prefer left to the vagaries of recollection and not subjected to too much scrutiny. :P But I hope at least parts of it come out in some form, even if the audio is a bit sub-par.
I really hope so, too! I wasn't able to make it to the show ;'(, but perhaps I can still kind of experience what happened if it's released! =D

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 pm
by yeshead 777
Ya'll don't know how heartbroken I was to miss 3RP. But I guess life and death wins over music everday-SERIOUSLY! Thanks to all for their prayers. I really was pretty sick!, in ICU for five days! Anyway, I got to see GH in Chattanooga!, and "All too much"-which by the way Steve didn't take my advice, ha-ha. But seriously Steve,love the hat! Their were positive reviews on PE, and I know ya'll kicked butt! How 'bout King's X???? Talk to ya'll soon!

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:12 am
by shanocles
yeshead 777 wrote:Ya'll don't know how heartbroken I was to miss 3RP. But I guess life and death wins over music everday-SERIOUSLY! Thanks to all for their prayers. I really was pretty sick!, in ICU for five days! Anyway, I got to see GH in Chattanooga!, and "All too much"-which by the way Steve didn't take my advice, ha-ha. But seriously Steve,love the hat! Their were positive reviews on PE, and I know ya'll kicked butt! How 'bout King's X???? Talk to ya'll soon!
What the.... ICU! :shock:
dude, i'm a nurse so i know you must have been pretty ill.
and weren't you supposed to intro King's X or something.
i'd seriously be bummed but really thankful at the same time.

so what happened? maybe start another thread or something.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 pm
by yeshead 777
Somehow, I got bilateral pneumonia, and got sick really fast. Started having some S.O.B.(shortness of breath) on thursday the day after the GH show at Rhythm n Brews-thank God I got to see that! Went to the dr. on Fri.,finally had to go the ER sat. night, couldn't breath, was directly admitted to the ICU, Oxygen Saturation on admission was 73%-VERY LOW!!!Pretty weird after being a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years, and finally being on the other side. They took GREAT care of me!!!!Thankfully, I don't remember a lot, and I had a very speedy(although not totally complete)recovery. God's trying to teach me something obviously, been thru alot the last 13-14 months!

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 am
by shanocles
yeshead 777 wrote:Somehow, I got bilateral pneumonia, and got sick really fast. Started having some S.O.B.(shortness of breath) on thursday the day after the GH show at Rhythm n Brews-thank God I got to see that! Went to the dr. on Fri.,finally had to go the ER sat. night, couldn't breath, was directly admitted to the ICU, Oxygen Saturation on admission was 73%-VERY LOW!!!Pretty weird after being a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years, and finally being on the other side. They took GREAT care of me!!!!Thankfully, I don't remember a lot, and I had a very speedy(although not totally complete)recovery. God's trying to teach me something obviously, been thru alot the last 13-14 months!
whoah. yeah 02 sats level any lower is dead man's territorry!
glad to hear that you've come thru. obviously the Lord has some work for you still to do here bro.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 pm
by Japes
How was the performance compared to Glass Hammer's other performances?

And, I was wondering how exactly 3RP worked? Is it a music festival that takes place over a few days, and if that's the case do you just stay there all day until it's over when you go to a hotel? I've never actually gone to a professional music fest or concert... :'(

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 pm
by FredProgGH
Pretty good. Not perfect, actually there were a few major glitches but it happens. But the tight bits were very tight. 3RP had a really nice band house for everyone to hang out in and the hotel was only 10 minutes away so there was the option to hang out and see other bands or go back. We spent a lot of time at our table too. Every 'fest like that is different but usually the bands will always have pretty immediate access to the hotel they're staying at and there's a good place to hang out backstage.