Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

JeffMc

Speaking of Middle Earth inspirations

Post by JeffMc » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:16 am

And not to take away from these magnificent musicians here on this board:

have you heard this?

Music Inspired by Middle Earth featuring David Arkenstone

Review from Amazon.com

It's very hip to refer to Tolkien, given the success of Lord of the Rings on celluloid. But to be fair to David Arkenstone, he's always been inspired by the master fantasy author, so the release of this album just happens to be timely. A collaboration between composer-multi-instrumentalists David and Diane Arkenstone, the disc features many of David's trademarks as it incorporates influences as diverse as Aaron Copland, international sounds, and progressive rock. With both orchestral and ethnic instruments at their disposal, the composers and their Middle Earth Orchestra journey from grand symphonic peaks to delicate valleys, including the grand fanfare of "Field of Cormallen," the mysterious and ethereal atmosphere of "Palantir," and the lively, Renaissance-flavored dance of "Road to Rivendell." While this ode to Middle Earth is nothing groundbreaking within Arkenstone's extensive catalog, it's still an amiable, engaging album that will appeal to longtime listeners and intrigue many fantasy fans. --Bryan Reesman
JeffMc
In the Quah, in Wa.
"My home is a place by the sand. Cliffs and
a military band, blow an air of normality"

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:47 pm

yes, I have, as a matter of fact. I'm borrowing it form a friend. Well, I've been trying to give it back to her for several weeks but I just keep forgetting. :-p But anyway, I liked it, but I thought it sounded kind of cheaply made at times. Maybe it's the mix, but it sounded more like it was all done on a synthesizer instead of taking enough effort to have a real orchestra Of course, that could be because Howard Shore's sountrack has such majesty with his full orchestra, and I could be making an unfair comparison. I don't know I liked the actual melodies and harmonies better than some of Shore's stuff though, even if I didn't like the mix so much. It seemed more... varied, perhaps. i don't know. Maybe not. I think the instruments make it less hard core European style music. That's my main problem with the LotR soundtracks. Gladiator is so awesome because they kind of blend a little bit of Eastern style in with their traditional Western tradition. I think LotR could have used a little more of that for variation on all the different worlds. Arkenstone hsa some of this variation (not nearly as much as gladiator but a little). I think he lacks the musical complexity of Shore though. Everything seems so simple comparatively.

I do like the Rivendell one, and the Riders of Rohan. Not sure about the field of Cormallen - it's ok, sort of, but it seems way too... unoriginal or something. The grey havens really dissapointed me though. Here I was expecting something like "The Last Ship" with its bittersweet beauty, and instead we get the classic soundtrack-trying-to-pull-on-your-emotions-for-something, reminding me of the end of Homeward bound rather than the last parting of close friends and fellow comrades... (frodo and sam! *sniff*) Or maybe like one of those inspirational sports movies. (YES! That's my problem with field of cormallen also, and what I meant by "cheaply made".) Glass Hammer never does that ever ever ever! Yes!!!! Thank you!!! I do NOT want to listen to inspirational sports movie music with my Tolkien! Glass Hammer does the Havens so much better.

Overall I did enjoy it though. It's always interesting to see a new side of the Tolkien inspired world. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:31 am

Has anyone heard the new Tolkien Ensemble album," Dawn in Rivendell"? I actually don't know if it's even out yet, but I want to find out if I should get it. It sounds interesting.

Lady Rose

Post by Lady Rose » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:12 pm

I actually have that album. I really like it. The best thing I find about it is that most, (possibly all) of the songs are actually from Middle Earth. Whether the rythym(?) and melodies are the same, who knows? My favorite song is the "Song of Nimrodel" Excellent.

Lady Rose

Post by Lady Rose » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:15 pm

Christopher Lee also does a lot of the voices.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:49 pm

Hey, welcome, Lady Rose. :) Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds very interesting, especially since Chris Lee has a very soothing sort of voice. I might have to check it out. So what other poems are on there? And Silmarillion ones, by chance?