progress...

2010's release featuring Jon Davison and Alan Shikoh.

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Re: progress...

Post by shanocles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:07 am

OH YEAH! got it today. man unless everyone else has their copy and hasn't posted about it yet or this is a record... someone in australia gets a pre-order before everyone else!!!!! that's a first!! i'm usually like three weeks behind. well that's the great news. bad news is i can't hear til tomorrow afternoon when i get home from work!! thats torture. alas, many thanks for posting it out so soon fred & steve & julie. eagerly awaiting to be progged up tomorrow. totally made my day. cheers. shano.

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Looks like they are shipping the pre-orders!
so excited!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 pm

shanocles wrote:OH YEAH! got it today. man unless everyone else has their copy and hasn't posted about it yet or this is a record... someone in australia gets a pre-order before everyone else!!!!!
My son and I got our copies today here in Texas. Babb and Schendel must be using a non-Euclidean shipping system where Oz is closer to Chattanooga than Houston is.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Got it today. Very awesome. Thanks for autographing.

So... when do these preorders for this One album start? :D

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:18 am

NelStone wrote:Got it today. Very awesome. Thanks for autographing.

So... when do these preorders for this One album start? :D
My thoughts exactly. I can never get enough Glass Hammer!
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:10 am

really getting into this new album man... have had 4 or 5 listens now and its definitely impressing me with each spin. it has so much depth when you sit back & listen out for each individual instrument and what its doing. that's what i love about prog. well done guys! hoping many sales come your way!!
If left is wrong I don't wanna be right...

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:20 pm

shanocles wrote:really getting into this new album man... have had 4 or 5 listens now and its definitely impressing me with each spin. it has so much depth when you sit back & listen out for each individual instrument and what its doing. that's what i love about prog. well done guys! hoping many sales come your way!!
That's about where I am. Superb effort! I enjoy every cut, but there is so much depth I haven't been able to grasp it all yet.

Beyond the obvious core of Babb and Schendel work and the Yes-like vocals, I am hearing similarities to an eclectic range of music--as far-reaching as bands like Return to Forever and Echolyn. Because of the depth, I am finding I like it more with each new listen. Now, back to my headphones...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:38 am

Physicist wrote:That's about where I am. Superb effort! I enjoy every cut, but there is so much depth I haven't been able to grasp it all yet ... Because of the depth, I am finding I like it more with each new listen. Now, back to my headphones...
yeah its great isn't it! my drive to work is about 30mins there, 30 mins back, so i can listen to most of it ... i just have to sit in the car to wait until the song i'm on finishes :lol: but that happens with most cd's i own.

it'll be great to see this up on amazon so we can all give GREAT reviews!!

i like steve's little vox track too. (nearer the end of album if my memory serves me well, can't remember cos i'm at work)

PROG ON!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 am

shanocles wrote:
Physicist wrote:That's about where I am. Superb effort! I enjoy every cut, but there is so much depth I haven't been able to grasp it all yet ... Because of the depth, I am finding I like it more with each new listen. Now, back to my headphones...
yeah its great isn't it! my drive to work is about 30mins there, 30 mins back, so i can listen to most of it ... i just have to sit in the car to wait until the song i'm on finishes :lol: but that happens with most cd's i own.

i like steve's little vox track too. (nearer the end of album if my memory serves me well, can't remember cos i'm at work)

PROG ON!
Glad you like it! That would be Fred taking a short solo near the end :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:38 pm

You and Fred always underestimate the strength of your vocals...

For instance, Fred singing Heroes and Dragons... and Steve singing in... dangit! I know Steve's is deeper than Freds but I always manage to get the twos of yous mixed up.

=)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
shanocles wrote:

PROG ON!
Glad you like it! That would be Fred taking a short solo near the end :)
Steve
of course. now i'm home i can hear it. track 6, 8:00 onward right? but where are you?? maybe you're the ziddle!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am

Sorry guys. haven't been able to purchase a copy yet but Brent lent me his for a few days. Wow! How different even form the rough draft we heard in June. After 3 almost complete listens "If the stars" is not only my fav track-but maybe my fav GH track of all time. It is just stunning-the chorus is stuck in my head already. "If the sun" is brilliant also. I love the ziddle song right off the bat too, but the other 3 are gonna kinda be growers I think. like said above, there are so many layers here! very dense stuff-alot to take in, including a phenom guitarist and GH's best singer yet(no offense to past ones).
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Been giving it more listens recently, and Beyond, Within is definitely growing on me. Somehow, this album feels a lot more like Culture of Ascent than earlier Glass Hammer work, though... Not a bad thing, just not the impression I was getting. Maybe it's just how I'm feeling. (I really do get a lot of In the Court Alkinoos vibes, too)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 pm

I've been playing it nonstop on my car's CD player. I'm hoping to write a review while on vacation this week.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I've been playing it nonstop on my car's CD player. I'm hoping to write a review while on vacation this week.

Great - can't wait to read it!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart