Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

What's your favourite Lex Rex track?

Tales of the Great Wars
15%
One King
No votes
Further Up and Further In
25%
Music for Four Hands (And Temporal Anomaly)
5%
A Cup of Trembling
10%
Centurion
5%
When We Were Young
25%
Heroes and Dragons
15%

Total votes: 20

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

second chance

Post by King » Sat May 10, 2003 11:29 pm

WOW, so I went back and listened to the WHOLE Lex Rex album again while I was packing to come home from college (and again, and again) and I really, really like it. Sometimes it takes a while for prog music to grow on me but once it does...look out...my prog music (the stuff I've decided I like) is some of my favorite music in my ever so small collection. So :D Im just getting more hyped up for NEARfest!! Well enough of that, goodnight!

ProgVanWinkle

Further Up

Post by ProgVanWinkle » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:25 am

I am gonna go with the concensus here. Great cut.
Prog lives!

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:48 pm

Guess I can't vote anymore, but my favorite is Heroes and Dragons. The first time I heard it, I played it over and over again, until I had it memorized.

April

Thomas Andersson

One king

Post by Thomas Andersson » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:01 pm

I can't believe "One King" hasn't got one single vote (yet)! I voted for Further up but King is probably my 2nd favourite on the disc. I just love the vocals and it has some wonderful keyboard lines... not to mention that clavinet (or whatever it is) solo. And the guitars. It feels like an epic but it's "only" 6 minutes long!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:24 pm

I love that song very much too!!! One King ranks #3 on my GH top twelve list. The only problem is the other songs are really awesome too. I have to say Heroes and Dragons ane WWWY come first because of their profound music and lyrics together, which is an extremely powerful combination (at least for me, anyway) and then after that Tales of the Great Wars because it's just so cool! One King comes close behind. If I could vote for four, I would vote for those four.
Further Up and Further In comes next on the list of lex rex favorites but it's not so close as those first four songs. I could listen to those four over and over and over for the rest of my life and not get sick of them, but I think I could get sick of the rest of the CD, if I listened to it several times each day for a few years. It probably would take awhile, but I think it might be possible.

I agree: the vocals are so cool! I wish there were more verses to that song. Actually, though, there's that one part at the end that really bothered me. After the lyrics from the booklet are all finished, I hear Susie singibng words I can't make out (and Stred echoing), (exactly like "Showed themselves/worthy of/following except different words and this time they add "One Man, One King" to the end)
I never did figure it out, until NEARfest. :idea: When they were practicing that song, I glanced over Flo's shoulder at the lyrics of her music: "Came the Time/Dreams were born/Visions of/One man, One king".
So I put it on my site lyircs page, just in case anyone else was wondering. These problems with lyrics really bother me, since I always like to sing along, and it's always good to know what you're singing.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:20 am

My First Post on the board! What's up all? Anyways, I found the last track "Heroes and Dragons" the best. It sort of sums up the whole album well.
[size=109][color=red] :twisted: What doesn't kill you, makes you weirder! :twisted:
[/color][/size]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:39 am

devilmanozzy wrote:My First Post on the board! What's up all? Anyways, I found the last track "Heroes and Dragons" the best. It sort of sums up the whole album well.

Hey!
Welcome to the forum :lol:
Its probably about to get busy in here again. Keep posting!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:11 pm

Cheers to devilmanozzy! :cheers: Welcome aboard!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, if the poll was still open, I would vote for When We Were Young. I absolutely love the vocals in that song, and the synth! =)
(Wow, this thread is old...)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Please tell me you've heard this track on Live at NEARFest? =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Please tell me you've heard this track on Live at NEARFest? =p
Oh gosh yes! I like the studio version, but I absolutely LOVE it live! I think I may give it another listen tomorrow.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

SpriteBat

Re: What's your favourite Lex Rex track?

Post by SpriteBat » Wed May 16, 2012 4:43 am

This album is so good that I literally have like 5 favorite songs, and I could never pick just one.

On a mostly unrelated note, I might try to learn "One King" on bass. Probably an arrogant choice for someone who's been playing for less than 3 weeks, but I just love this song. If any other bass players want to help me out, that would be great. Not that I'm incapable of learning it by ear...I already figured out the part during the main vocal sections, but some of the other stuff seems like it would require very careful listening over and over.