Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

What's your favourite Lex Rex track?

Tales of the Great Wars
15%
One King
No votes
Further Up and Further In
25%
Music for Four Hands (And Temporal Anomaly)
5%
A Cup of Trembling
10%
Centurion
5%
When We Were Young
25%
Heroes and Dragons
15%

Total votes: 20

Thomas Andersson

What's your favourite Lex Rex track?

Post by Thomas Andersson » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:52 am

So what's the best song on this new masterpiece? Even though it is very consistent in terms of quality, you should be able to pick one favourite... at least I can.

//Thomas

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:03 am

This is one very difficult question... I really love "Centurion". At first the sound and the melody of the piano and then the guitar; it sounds so melodic and melancholic. The rhythm gets very interesting after that ( 7 / 8 ) with a screaming synthesizer. (I suppose it broke down after this :wink: )
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flyer

Post by Flyer » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:24 pm

This Album is to great i can't believe it. It's a real jewel a masterpiece wow!!! I want to see this guys performing here in Europe one day!

My favorit Track for the Moment / Tales of the great wars followed immediately by Further up and Further in...

See you :wink:

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:51 pm

Glass Hammer wil performe live but unforunately not (yet?) in Europe. I'll try to be there. Fred told me they'll play the new songs and some pieces from Chronometree. I hope they'll get this on tape!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

HARD choice!!!!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:03 pm

Wow... I love all the songs so much, but I think my favorite is When We Were Young. That is such an incredible song. I mean not only musically, but lyrically... I love that kind of depth. This is why GLASS HAMMER IS THE BEST!!!! A close second is Tales from the Great Wars with the awesome awesome rhythm and vocals and everything, and another favorite is that middle section in Further Up and Further In (the rest of it i like too, just not as much) - the part with "the soldier reckoned he had heard from God..." etc. :) And then I like Heroes and Dragons because the lyrics are so true, and it's simplicity and almost bittersweet flavor somehow strikes a chord deep down within me, while the meaning of the whole rest of the album patches together and just hits me.... wow... it's so beautiful. I just love it!!! **blissful sigh** Doesn't it seriously give you goosebumps when you think about it?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:26 pm

Wel Sam, if my English has been that good, I would have said the same thing...

Elrabin

Too bad "entire album" isn't a choice....

Post by Elrabin » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:57 pm

This album completely rocked my socks. I can listen to it over and over again, and it's just as good, if not better, every time. And you want me to pick one song? Crazy.... I loved nearly every second of this album. But at the moment, "Tales of the Great Wars" really works for me. I can't describe it. Whoa. The lyrics, vocals, instruments, all combining so perfectly to weave this beautiful, amazing tapestry. It's incredible. The entire album is incredible.

- Elrabin
hu ic earmcearig iscealdne sæ
winter wunade wræccan lastum

Thomas Andersson

Post by Thomas Andersson » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:51 am

"Tales of the Great Wars" has some incredible vocal parts and is probably my second fav (I voted for Further up...), but some of the guitar playing on Tales just don't do it for me... I don't know if it's Fred's or Lynne's leads, but I don't really like them. Further Up, on the other hand, has a kickass guitar solo towards the end :shock: That song is perfect. Especially the part that starts around 8:30 – I just love how the vocals interweave.

//Thomas

JeffMc

Furtherup and Further In

Post by JeffMc » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:19 pm

The more I listen to this, the more I am hooked. i vote it my fav. Especially the end when Fred starts his vocals. Very nicely done.
JeffMc
In the Quah, in Wa.
"My home is a place by the sand. Cliffs and
a military band, blow an air of normality"

JeffMc

One King

Post by JeffMc » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:22 pm

Oh, I have to ask Fred this one.

The final note in One King. Is that there on purpose? i mean it has an erie connection to another "roman" from the group Triumvirat in the seventies. Like the ending note to "The Capital of Power" Same instrument mix, etc. Is that an inside joke/story, or coincidence? Seems to connected ;)

JeffMc
JeffMc
In the Quah, in Wa.
"My home is a place by the sand. Cliffs and
a military band, blow an air of normality"

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: One King

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:27 pm

JeffMc wrote:Oh, I have to ask Fred this one.

The final note in One King. Is that there on purpose? i mean it has an erie connection to another "roman" from the group Triumvirat in the seventies. Like the ending note to "The Capital of Power" Same instrument mix, etc. Is that an inside joke/story, or coincidence? Seems to connected ;)

JeffMc

It's pretty much a coincidence. It does sound lke his organ sound though. Maybe it's subconcious because I used to listen to Sparticus a *lot* :D

Fred
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:36 pm

You know, I'm starting to reconsider. When We Were Young is a great song. One of the very best. Right up there with Heaven and Morning Song, and close behind is Tales Of the Great Wars. But I'm beginning to think that the best song on this album is Heroes and Dragons. It doesn't have the majesty of When We Were Young, and it doesn't have the same kind of upbeatness and catchy rhythm as Tales Of the Great Wars, but something about its simplicity really strikes me every time. The lyrics and the quiet melody of it leaves an almost bittersweet impression as it lingers in your mind. To me it really captures, in such few words, the story of mankind: tragic, yet full of hope.
Last week was pretty stressful for me, and I was really tired, but I had my boombox set up to wake me with Heroes and Dragons. It completely brightened my day, and I was able to make a conscious effort to be cheerful no matter how tired I was. Not that a song was all it took, but it certainly helped. :)
It's a very encouraging little song. The more I listen, the more I like. :D Just because it's last, in no way is it the least.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:58 am

"Even the smallest song can change the world" *lol*

Fred
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:53 pm

My favorite is "When we were Young." The lyrics and music up to xx:yy is some of Glass Hammer's best. Is is just awesome. The rest is good too, but not head and shoulders above their rest like the first part!

I also like "Heroes and Dragons" for its beautiful simplicity and "Music for Four Hands (And Temporal Anomaly)" for its awesome technical piano (I am a big fan of classical music).
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:31 am

Theremin wrote:My favorite is "When we were Young." The lyrics and music up to xx:yy is some of Glass Hammer's best. (I am a big fan of classical music).

Hey,
I just checked in and saw all of the new posts. Welcome to the GH forum. Now we have two members here that are in high-school. How did you get turned on to prog - if I might ask?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart