Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

What's your favourite Lex Rex track?

Tales of the Great Wars
15%
One King
No votes
Further Up and Further In
25%
Music for Four Hands (And Temporal Anomaly)
5%
A Cup of Trembling
10%
Centurion
5%
When We Were Young
25%
Heroes and Dragons
15%

Total votes: 20

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:22 pm

Gather ye round the hearth and prepare for the epic (by epic I mean long) tale of how Theremin found prog...

...I think the first time I ever listened to real, non-classical music was November 10, 2001. At this time I had no non-classical, non-Weird Al CDs except for some loud, obnoxious, satanic heavy metal that my cousins got me for Hanukkah (What were they thinking?). I heard an ad for Pink Floyd's Echoes on the radio and since I had twenty bucks to blow I figured that I would buy it, since it was the only music I had ever heard with the slightest bit of meaning to me. After I bought their best of, I began going through my dad's old CDs, listening to all of his Pink Floyd stuff and scoffing at the rest (he had Atom Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, Wish you Were Here, The Wall, The Final Cut, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason). One day he reccomended Alan Parsons Project and aI gave it a try (he only had several bootlegs of them, no CDs) and I was hooked. It was easy to get almost all their CDs, as they are very cheap, some of them costing only $8! I listened to nothing but Alan Parsons Project and Pink Floyd until about March, being ridiculed by everyone. Around this time, I used Amazon.com to order a CD that was not sold at Best Buy. When I was ordering, I saw a thing at the bottom of the page that reccomended other artists in addition to Alan Parsons Project. I listened to the similar artists and none of them appealed to me. About a week later I actually finished my homework early (a rare event!) and was surfing the internet when I went back to Amazon. I searched Pink Floyd and found that they classified the Floyd under the category of Progressive Rock. So, I searched the Prog site under Amazon and somehow came along to Emerson Lake and Palmer. After that, I found Rick Wakeman. An so on undil I found such great artists as Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, The Flower Kings, Genesis, King Crimson, Tony Levin, and of course, Glass Hammer. I did everything I could to get these albums (except piracy: I am totally against cheating legitimate musicians out of their money, especially when they are underappreciated, like most prog artists) by scrounging and begging for money. I have tried to convince my friends to try some prog, but the only thing anyone will listen to are some of Spock's beard's poppier songs. Too bad that nobody else in my town or any adjacent ones likes prog. It truly is awesome...

...And thus Thermin found glory (prog). But the story was not over; Theremin still had much more money to scrounge and many more CDs to buy. he was always on the lookout for a new band to discover and a new type of music to appreciate (he still needs to buy a Red Queen to Gryphon Three). :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:30 pm

Theremin wrote: ...And thus Thermin found glory (prog). But the story was not over; Theremin still had much more money to scrounge and many more CDs to buy. he was always on the lookout for a new band to discover and a new type of music to appreciate (he still needs to buy a Red Queen to Gryphon Three). :D
Have you tried Camel? I'd suggest Moon Madness.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:28 pm

I've heard of them but never listened. I'll go check them out on Amazon.com. Thanks! :D

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:08 pm

YARRR!!! :x Amazon.com only sells a $40 japanese import of Moonmadness! I downloaded Chord Changes and Spirit of the Water and they were awesome! But, I can't buy them (too expensive)! Why, O cruel fates!!! :cry: What other (more affordable) Camel albums might be worth buying?

Elrabin

Post by Elrabin » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:29 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:How did you get turned on to prog - if I might ask?
I will admit that I am probably among the younger in age here, so I'll answer this question too. To tell you the truth, I'm really not quite sure how I acquired any of my music tastes. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were inevitably from listening to too much classic rock radio (which is all I can really tolerate from the choices I have here, with the exception of classical). Everything else in my small CD collection is a mystery to me. Somehow, I stumbled upon Enigma, Delerium, and Dead Can Dance (though not sure how, being that no one else I know listens to them).
As for Glass Hammer, I'm 99% sure you can thank theonering.net. Back when The Middle-earth Album was still in the works, they kept eager Lord of the Rings fans like myself posted on updates on the Glass Hammer website and on development with the album. Though I never got around to buying that particular album (I will soon, though), I checked out the MP3s on the Glass Hammer site and was very impressed with 'Empty Space / Revealer' and (of course) 'Chronos Deliverer.' So I bought Chronometree and a fan was born.
To tell the truth, I never did really check out any other prog bands. I found a copy of Close to the Edge by Yes (on vinyl!) but I never got around to listening to the whole thing (time + my record player doesn't like to cooperate sometimes). But I'm always open to new things and good music.

So, this long and rambling discourse brings me to a question of my own: how did everyone else discover Glass Hammer? At least where I live, they unfortunately do not get a whole lot of air time or publicity, and no one I know has ever heard of them. I'd be interested to know. :)

- Elrabin
hu ic earmcearig iscealdne sæ
winter wunade wræccan lastum

Thomas Andersson

Post by Thomas Andersson » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:56 am

Another very good and perhaps also quite affordable Camel album is Mirage. I prefer it to Moonmadness actually. Another, that is probably 3rd on my Camel fav list, is The Snow Goose. It's quite light instrumental prog.

I guess that at 20 I'm among the younger here as well. So how did I discovered progressive rock? Pink Floyd played a big part for me too, as well as Mike Oldfield and Björn Lynne. But my first step into to realm of interesting and largely instrumental music was when I bought Robert Miles's album 23am. I can't stand his Children/Fable era stuff ("dreamtrance") but 23am has some brilliant instrumental electronic music on it, and got me interested in that kind of stuff. I checked Robert Miles's homepage, and saw that he listed both Mike Oldfield and Pink Floyd as his personal favourites. I had seen these artists mentioned on Björn Lynne's homepage as well, and figured I should check them out. I was instantly hooked. Now I started digging for similar bands, often using amazon.com (although I don't order from there). I discovered Alan Parsons Project (which I don't listen to much anymore however), Camel, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa and so on, and later the newer prog like the Flower Kings, Dream Theater and Spock's Beard. Also some jazz and fusion, as well as more straight-forward rock like The Doors and Led Zeppelin. I found a gold mine of sorts in the 70s rock music, and I am forever thankful to Robert Miles and Björn Lynne for this. :D

Glasshammer has been working with Lynne on several occasions, and that's how I became familiar with them. But I never got around to order any albums until I downloaded "One King". I checked some online reviews, which were all extremely positive, so I bought Lex Rex. And, well, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:21 am

Theremin wrote:YARRR!!! :x Amazon.com only sells a $40 japanese import of Moonmadness! I downloaded Chord Changes and Spirit of the Water and they were awesome! But, I can't buy them (too expensive)! Why, O cruel fates!!! :cry: What other (more affordable) Camel albums might be worth buying?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... PDKIKX0DER

I found one on Amazon for 19.99 :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:24 am

Thomas Andersson wrote:Another very good and perhaps also quite affordable Camel album is Mirage. I prefer it to Moonmadness actually. Another, that is probably 3rd on my Camel fav list, is The Snow Goose. It's quite light instrumental prog.

I guess that at 20 I'm among the younger here as well. So how did I discovered progressive rock? Pink Floyd played a big part for me too, as well as Mike Oldfield and Björn Lynne. well, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hey,
I've only heard 3 Oldfield albums, but at least one of them was a big influcene on me. (As you can hear during "Further Up Further In) Did you notice the similarities? I don't even the know the name of the album that inspired it. What Oldfield do you reccomend?
Steve Babb

Thomas Andersson

Post by Thomas Andersson » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:22 pm

Hmm no actually I can't spot any distinct similarities between Further up and Oldfield's music :o I haven't heard all Oldfield albums, but certainly more than half of them, and probably all of the better known ones. What section of Further up are you referring to? It kind of has.. many sections. :?

And what Oldfield albums do I recommend? Well, first and foremost: Amarok. Released in the early 90s, it's Oldfield at his most fearlessly experimental. It consists of a 60 minutes long patchwork of songs in a variety of styles, put together in a way that makes perfect sense. There's not a single dull moment in there :shock: I cannot praise this album enough; it's possibly the best piece of music I ever heard.

Then there's Tubular Bells I and II, Five Miles Out, The Songs of Distant Earth, Ommadawn... they're all great. You can't go wrong with any of them. But watch out for some Oldfield's 80s pop stuff, as well as his most recent offerings.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:57 pm

Wow :o Thanks Steve! I wonder why I didn't see that? I think that Moonmadness just beat out The Power to Believe as my next in line music purchase. What a great guy: You write awesome music and you saved me twenty bucks! Thats more than I can say for anyone else I know :D .

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:29 am

How did I first hear about Glass Hammer? It was five years ago, I think, when I was twelve (or in 6th grade). My taste in music was basically non-existant; I kind of liked classical just because I hated rock and pop in general, and I didn't know there was anything else. Anyway, I read LotR, and became a Rabid Tolkien Fanatic. My dad had heard about Glass Hammer from some site that compared them to Yes years before that, so he introduced me to JoD. Ever since then, I listened to it a LOT. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Eventually, I got bolder and listened to Perelandra also. I liked it, but not quite as much. Around that time On to Evermore came out, and I listened to it once and decided I didn't like it. Then I actually listened to it and decided it was really cool. And by then... yeah. I was hooked.

I do not like all forms of progressive rock, however. Yes is cool sometimes, but **puts on a flame retardant suit and glances around wildly for would-be attackers (don't hurt me, fred!)** Jon Anderson is annoying! I have all these fond childhood memories of some Yes/Anderson songs, but the only songs I really like of theirs are "And you and I" (which is pretty) and kind of "Gates of Delirium" (in which his voice his perfect for ONCE but not really anywhere else). So I don't like Yes very much. Not that I've listened to all their albums, but I just don't like their overall sound.

Kansas, though... I really like Kansas. Just saying that made me have to switch from listening to TTT soundtrack to Kansas... my favorite song started playing in my randomly shuffled mix - Point of Know Return. That is a great song!! On my iTunes list it holds the "most commonly played" title at 74 times. (I don't get sick of music easily.) I don't know why, but I really like Kansas and not anything else.

Emmerson Lake and Palmer... well... let's put it this way: Peanuts on Drugs. Looks like Schroder's piano skills aren't doing too much for him... I don't like them.

I still haven't heard the Flower Kings - I'll tell you what I think later about them. Haven't heard any other main prog artists.

As for other forms of music aside form prog, I now really like rock (Linkin Park type) as well as medieval/reniassance music (I love madrigals!!!), some choral music (sacred songs are so beautiful!), techno (except when it's excessively repetitive), eastern music with an western twinge (crouching tiger sountrack), and U2 type stuff. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. There's probably more. I like a lot of random stuff.
But Glass Hammer is still the best.

:D :D
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Thomas Andersson

Post by Thomas Andersson » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:39 am

Hey Sam, if you like Glasshammer, choral music and stuff with a medieval touch, you have check out Gentle Giant. One of the most innovative bands ever; try Free Hand or Octopus. Marvellous stuff!

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sun May 04, 2003 8:52 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:It's a very encouraging little song. The more I listen, the more I like. :D Just because it's last, in no way is it the least.
I am so glad someone has stuck up for this little song. Heroes and Dragons is my favorite so far (hence I voted for it).

I am fairly new to progressive rock and some of the instrumental parts are still a little wierd to me. My Chemistry/Astronomy professor is the one who got me into progressive and introduced me to GH. The first two bands I liked were Flairck and Banco and this year will be my first year to come to NEARfest.

The only GH album I have heard so far is Lex Rex and I really love the lyrics (like I said the music takes getting used to for me). Not only is the story a good one but it is spoken so well. I also like GH because I had just re-read the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis and when I saw the title Further Up and Further In my jaw dropped, I knew that the writer must be familiar with my favorite books! :wink:
Last edited by King on Tue May 06, 2003 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon May 05, 2003 6:59 am

King wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:It's a very encouraging little song. The more I listen, the more I like. :D Just because it's last, in no way is it the least.
I also like GH because I had just re-read the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis and when I saw the title Further Up and Further In my jaw dropped, I knew that the writer must be familiar with my favorite books! :wink:
Indeed he is :D
Welcome to the forum!
Steve

Ned

Post by Ned » Mon May 05, 2003 7:49 pm

Ditto on the gentle giant. Playing the fool is an incredible album, and so are the rest.