Bach?

In search of Glory

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Bach?

Post by Theremin » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:19 pm

I was just listening to Lex Rex again (as usual :lol: ) and I noticed some stuff in the Son "Centurion." Around 4:36, you can hear echoes of the narrator saying "goodnight..goodnight". Strange, because this track is before that track... Also, at around 5:40, I can hear a synthesizer playing what sounds like the subject of the fugue from Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D minor transformed into major. Was that deliberate, or am I insane, or am I just mistaken?!? :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Bach?

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:19 am

Theremin wrote: Also, at around 5:40, I can hear a synthesizer playing what sounds like the subject of the fugue from Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D minor transformed into major. Was that deliberate, or am I insane, or am I just mistaken?!? :lol:
You're not mistaken; it just happened to fit by accident. If you listen real close it's still in a minor key; just transposed a bit. It's the chords that make it sound a bit different. That part always sounded a bit like "Carrying No Cross" from "Danger Money" (UK) to me as well.... little plagerisms all over the place *lol*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:02 am

Go Bach! :D Have you ever heard "Switched-On Bach," "The Well-Tempered Synthesizer," "Switched-On Bach II," or "Switched-On Brandenburgs" by Wendy Carlos. They are all adaptations of Bach played on a moog synthesizers. "The Well-Tempered Synthesizer" also has some selections from Scarlotti and maybe Haydn (I forget). Surprisingly, Bach sounds very good on a synthesizer because the varying contrasting sounds the Moog can make put a lot of empasis on Bach's contrapuntal genius. Bach's Inventions sound especially good in this collection, along with the Brandenburgs, especially the first movement of the fourth.
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:24 am

Actually, Switched-on Bach is probably my first memory. I remember my parents bringing it home when it came out all the way back in '68. I still have it on vinyl with the name *Walter* Carlos on it *lol*. Well Tempered Synthesizer is my favorite. I'm glad that it's finally out on cd so I don't have to listen to my vinyl rip any more. At some point I mean to buy Switched-on Box... I don't think anyone has ever made a modular Moog system sound better than her. I wish she hadn't given it up for digital synthesis, but I know she wants to stay cutting edge...

BTW, I tend to agree with Glenn Gould that her realization of the last movement of the 3rd Brandenberg is the best ever done by anyone, anywhere *g*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:03 am

I remember my parents bringing it home when it came out all the way back in '68.
...and I remember being with them when we bought it. We walked into the record store and it was playing the first band. We just stood there with our mouths open, and joined the line to buy "whatever that was we just heard". Great stuff. I wondered if the vinyl was still around -- gotta be well used by now!

Elrabin

Post by Elrabin » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:35 pm

Wandering around an antique shop in a small town in NY and I found Switched-On Bach on vinyl for fifty cents. Would've passed it up had it not been for the discussion here (yes, though I rarely post, I always read). I agree with Theremin; Bach does sound very nice on synthesizer. No doubt I'll be playing this album frequently (my vinyl collection is small, alas). :D
hu ic earmcearig iscealdne sæ
winter wunade wræccan lastum

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:29 am

The reason Bach sounds good on synths is that on most synths there is a lack of voume control for individual keystrokes. This is a problem for a lot of music, but when Bach wasn't writing for organ he was writing for harpsicord, which had exactly the same problem.
WRT "The well tempered synthesizer", water-holder-backer! I thought I was being original when I came up with "The well tempered mellotron" on another thread.

For those who like their baroque music rocked up, keep an eye out for Ciclos, by Canarios. It is a seriously warped version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues