In search of Glory

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

How do you?

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:29 am

Fred/Steve...
I love sharing this and the live album with people to introduce them for the first time to your music... and although I have no problems with the lyrics, invariably the question arises 'are these a Jesus band or somehing?"

I'm curious to know your thoughts and feelings, and that way I can tell them exactly what you guys are, and why you do what you do.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:50 am

Random thoughts, and off the top of my head...

1. We've never used the name of Jesus Christ in our lyrics.
2. I only write about the things that I'm interested in.
3. All art is Christian, whether written by a Christian or not. God speaks through art.
4. We're a band of sinners. However, all members claim to be 'born-again', though some feel more comfortable talking about it than others. In fact, all but 2 members ( out of 11 studio members ) regularly attend church and are active members of a church.
5. We are not a 'Christian band'. I don't believe a band can be 'saved'. lol Not as a unit.
6. I have never seen GH as a band on a 'mission from God'. Our TOP priority is to make great prog albums.
7. Final answer. We are a Symphonic Prog Rock band in the tradition of Yes, Genesis, Rush, Tull and ELP. Spirituality or philosopy is addressed by all of those bands. Any writer worth his weight will address these issues in his music. There is a world-view present on some level in all art. Mine is Christian.
Hope this little rant helps :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:11 pm

Steve, that is great! Precisely what I was looking for.

Thats basically what I was telling people, but now I can quote ya =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03