Title of forthcoming Glass Hammer album (or am I insane?)

In search of Glory

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:23 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Hey! 100 posts, Theremin! Cool!

Um... I don't know who entered it into the iTunes CDDB, but apparently, it's called "Behind the Great Beyond". Uh... sure. So Steve, you might want to look into that or something. I don't know if the info is burned into the CD or what, but maybe you could submit a change.

Of course, you poor soul, you don't have iTunes, so...

Uh - I've missed something. Please explain from the beginning.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:53 am

I don't know about iTunes, but Windows Media Player has a free service that looks up all the album information and even usually the cover art. Because when you put a CD into your computuer (usually) it has no information about the tracks except for their lengths. The lookup thing connects to the internet and fills all the information in for you. Otherwise, when you converted evertything to mp3s, you would have to enter all the info yourself and import your own album cover picture. However, they sometimes don't have an entry for a CD, and it is often wrong on some accounts, so you have to tweak it a little. In this case, they marked "Beyond the Great Beyond" as "Behind the Great Beyond." I'm going to see if I can resubmit it in a little bit.
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:34 pm

Sorry. I'll try to explain again. Basically, when I put a CD into the computer, iTunes looks up the track names, lengths, artists, albums, and occasionally other things (usually no cover art :-p), in the "CDDB" - (CD database, i'm assuming). I think this information either is burned into the CD, or like Theremin said, people submit the names to the database, and every time you put in a new CD, the CDDB will match the CD to its names. And when I put Shadowlands in, it has everything labeled correctly except the year (it has 2003 instead of the technically correct 2004) and Beyond the Great Beyond is listed as 'Behind the Great Beyond'.

In other words, pretty much what Theremin said.

Cool! You're a Semi-Pro, Steve!!!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:03 am

Yeah, WMP is based off the CDDB too.
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:44 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Sorry. I'll try to explain again. Basically, when I put a CD into the computer, iTunes looks up the track names, lengths, artists, albums, and occasionally other things (usually no cover art :-p), in the "CDDB" - (CD database, i'm assuming). I think this information either is burned into the CD, or like Theremin said, people submit the names to the database, and every time you put in a new CD, the CDDB will match the CD to its names. And when I put Shadowlands in, it has everything labeled correctly except the year (it has 2003 instead of the technically correct 2004) and Beyond the Great Beyond is listed as 'Behind the Great Beyond'.

In other words, pretty much what Theremin said.

Cool! You're a Semi-Pro, Steve!!!

Uh - I got it. My eyes were not seeing 'behind'. I kept reading it as Beyond!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart