One King - Influences

In search of Glory

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Oden

One King - Influences

Post by Oden » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:24 am

Im new to Glass Hammer (havent bought an album yet) but hearing the free downloads from each album gives a good overall view on the music, thats great every band who has a website should do so. One King is my personal favourite of all these (Last Ship is another favourite I have to say), well it seems that Yes, Genesis and ELP is the main influences, but in One King I get very strong Starcastle vibes. Starcastle´s selftitled and Fountains Of Light was very influenced by Yes but in the longrun it seem to become vice versa. With the albums Going For The One, Tormato and Drama, Yes sounded like Starcastle. So I wonder..are you influenced by Starcastle as well?

Oden

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:49 am

Fred wrote the music for One King so we'll have to wait on his answer. But I'd think not. I only ever heard Star Castle once many years ago. So I can say for sure that they never influence any of the music I've written.
Steve

ps: Welcome to the forum!!! You need to get the entire "Lex Rex" or "Live at NEARfest".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oden

Post by Oden » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:24 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:ps: Welcome to the forum!!! You need to get the entire "Lex Rex" or "Live at NEARfest".
Thanks Steve, and yes Lex Rex is on my buying list allready. An album who has a song like One King on it has to be in my cd collection. :D
Last edited by Oden on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:23 am

Oden wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:ps: Welcome to the forum!!! You need to get the entire "Lex Rex" or "Live at NEARfest".
Thanks Steve, and yes Lex Tex is on my buying list allready. An album who has a song like One King on it has to be in my cd collection. :D
Its all in the same vein. You'll love it!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:34 pm

I second that!! Just so you're aware though, most of the Middle Earth album sounds different from Last Ship. Half of the album
is inn songs, with rowdy dwarves and hobbits in the background who chime in for choruses, and the other half (including Last Ship) is a studio sound, more celticy than most other GH songs. If that still sounds appealing, go for it by all means - it's a great album! Last Ship is one of my very very favorites also. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Well, I like Starcastle though I'm not a huge fan. I would say it's a case of having similar influences. I always thought One King was the most "Yes-esque" song on Lex Rex. So that's probably it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Oden

Post by Oden » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:21 pm

Thanks for all your oppinions guys! :D Music is very personal we all experience it in different ways thats all natural and yet very fun to talk about. Cheers!

Ps. I am soon the owner of my first GH album n´ I will give you my reflections of it here at the forum... :D