Vocal mix on Centurion and When We Were Young

In search of Glory

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Erdy1

Vocal mix on Centurion and When We Were Young

Post by Erdy1 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:01 pm

I love it when Glass Hammer makes it sound like a full choir is singing (most striking example would be Chronometree's "Chronos Deliverer." I don't know of any other band that does it so well. Lex Rex has many moments like this too, but I'm sad that the vocals on "Centurion" and "When We Were Young" are so quiet. The vocal parts are great, the words inspiring - just wish I could hear them better. Don't get me wrong, I love every song on this CD! I guess I'm just wondering why the vocals on these tracks are so quiet.

Fingolfin
Amateur
Amateur

:eyebrow:

Post by Fingolfin » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:11 pm

I know! I think so too. When We Were Young doesn't quite match up to Heaven because its majesty seems dimmed. I was trying to listen to the choir and I really heard nothing more than a vague "shining white light" type of noise. In other words, some sort of heavenly angelic echo somewhere in there, but it didn't jump out and proclaim "HE IS RISEN!" for the glory and awe that it has!

Centurion is worse. I just hear a blended blur of vocals. Beautiful vocals, yes, I LOVE sopranos of this quality especially, but I can't understand how they are singning any lyrics at all.

I think choral parts in music make it so much more moving though.... Take the LotR soundtracks... Somehow the brass loudly belting out the Mordor theme doesn't have near the effect of the choir singing the ominous Ringwraith theme. The violins mournfully voicing the sorrow and desparation of the war is so much more subdued than just the clear, bitter song of Ben del Maestro during the last march of the ents and when the last stand at Helm's deep is made.

Isn't the human voice just amazing?

...although recorders are pretty too.

~:eyebrow:©~
Fingolfin beheld the ruin of the Noldor. Filled with wrath and despair he rode forth alone. A madness of rage was upon him; his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
He came alone to Angband and challenged Morgoth to single combat.

And Morgoth came.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Vocal mix on Centurion and When We Were Young

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:58 am

Erdy1 wrote:I love it when Glass Hammer makes it sound like a full choir is singing (most striking example would be Chronometree's "Chronos Deliverer." I don't know of any other band that does it so well. Lex Rex has many moments like this too, but I'm sad that the vocals on "Centurion" and "When We Were Young" are so quiet. The vocal parts are great, the words inspiring - just wish I could hear them better. Don't get me wrong, I love every song on this CD! I guess I'm just wondering why the vocals on these tracks are so quiet.

I agree, and we will mix the vocals up a little louder from here on. Assuming that Fred agrees. Centurion is the worst example.
Steve :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Fingolfin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fingolfin » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:10 pm

Does that mean more vocal parts on the new album?? :eyebrow: ©
Fingolfin beheld the ruin of the Noldor. Filled with wrath and despair he rode forth alone. A madness of rage was upon him; his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
He came alone to Angband and challenged Morgoth to single combat.

And Morgoth came.

devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:48 pm

Well I think if you guys ever revisit any songs again, you should revisit this one and have the vocals louder in the mix. But then again thats better not get in the way of the new album so nevermind. lol I want the new album more!
[size=109][color=red] :twisted: What doesn't kill you, makes you weirder! :twisted:
[/color][/size]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:15 am

devilmanozzy wrote:
Well I think if you guys ever revisit any songs again, you should revisit this one and have the vocals louder in the mix. But then again thats better not get in the way of the new album so nevermind. lol I want the new album more!

A bit of history here... It WAS an instrumental song by Fred. I forced some lyrics into it to propel the story. The compromise was that I had to keep them low.
Sometimes it works to keep the vocals lower than the music. When it is written with that in mind, it works. There are a couple of examples on Shadowlands where Fred chose to do that with the lead track, and it works. There's a point during Run Lisette where there are three sets of lyrics and three melodies running together at once - it is hard to isolate them when listening, but the point was to create a kind of 'chaotic' counterpoint. I think it works there too. You'll have to let me know what you think though :)
Steve
:twisted:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart