Odyssey

Journey of the Dunadan, Perelandra, Live & Revived

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Odyssey

Post by Alatar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 am

I picked up the triple CD of "Odyssey: The Greatest Tale" recently, and here are my first impressions.

All the musicians were asjked to use 70's instruments, to add cohesion to the album. I think this decision worked well. There are three discs with three tracks each. There are over three hours of music here, with all songs being over twenty minutes, making it an orgy of prog excess. I loved it.

The Glass Hammer Song is, not surprisingly, in the style of their material for The Inconsolable Secret. It is of a similar quality to the music on The Inconsolable Secret too.

Of the other bands, I agree with Fred's assesment of Nathan Mahl and Minimum Vital as being the other two standout bands. Nathan Mahl sounds like Glass Hammer on Chronometree, and put in a fantastic effort.

One other band I would add though is CAP, an Italian band. Their lyrics are in Italian, which may put some people off, but I really liked them.

Overall, the album hangs together really well, although the different approaches to narrative are a little unsettling. Although the album is patchy in places, most of it is really fantastic, and there isn't a dud track.

So, anybody else heard it? What are other people's opinions?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

otteaux

Re: Odyssey

Post by otteaux » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Well... better late the never for a reply, huh? :)

I just purchased it on MP3 via Amazon. I've gotten through the first disc - I've never heard any songs from any of the bands other than GH (of course).

I liked some of the Nathan Mahl track, although it sort of dragged at bits. I absolutely LOVE the Nexus track! I really felt that I'd been taken on a journey after listening to that on headphones.

"At the Court of Alkinoos" is a fantastic track. I just keep listening to the first 3 minutes over and over again. The piano and female vocals (not sure if it's Beth, Flo, or Suzie) are just beautiful!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 am

otteaux wrote:Well... better late the never for a reply, huh? :)

I just purchased it on MP3 via Amazon. I've gotten through the first disc - I've never heard any songs from any of the bands other than GH (of course).

I liked some of the Nathan Mahl track, although it sort of dragged at bits. I absolutely LOVE the Nexus track! I really felt that I'd been taken on a journey after listening to that on headphones.

"At the Court of Alkinoos" is a fantastic track. I just keep listening to the first 3 minutes over and over again. The piano and female vocals (not sure if it's Beth, Flo, or Suzie) are just beautiful!
Those opening vocals are Susie and Laura Lindstrom. Laura sang Morrigan's Song on The Inconsolable Secret. She' (like Susie) has a beautiful voice. Glad you like the tune!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 am

Hey, did you guys realize that In The Court of Alkinoos is on Spotify? I was just messing around with Spotify the other day and looked up Glass Hammer.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.