Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:46 pm

johnc wrote:
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Horny Orc

Concerning the tavern, those of you with dirty minds are respectfully requested to keep your comments to yourself. :lol: :lol:

johnc

Now John ... who EVER on this venerable forum could POSSIBLY think anything but honorable thoughts??? :D

April (Onigosien)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:44 pm

I'd do my last name too, but I have no idea what language it even is... Some kind of pre-Polish country language... So basically no chance I'd be able to translate that into elvish... I'll just go with first and middle, Rinë Alcarohtariel, "crowned famous maiden warrior". It reinforces my whole "supreme evil tyrant" image, you know...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:39 pm

CanarioAB wrote:Now John ... who EVER on this venerable forum could POSSIBLY think anything but honorable thoughts??? :D

April (Onigosien)

Now we know. hehe

johnc
Last edited by johnc on Tue May 02, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:10 am

Hey John, you brought it up first ;)

:lol:

April

Forgotten One
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Forgotten One » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:28 pm

who have had the priviledge of hearing Wyzards think of it?

Ahh yes...a different time, a different energy...you had to be there to fully appreciate it. Some the best Wizards (that's the way is was spelled when it was actually occuring) music was never recorded to any degree of quality. Certainly, "Phantoms & Lizards" and other notable tracks on the Wyzards CD are the exception.

To me, "All Of The World", although an enjoyable work, should have been saved for another CD to allow more room for original Wizard classics such as "Shadows of The Past", "Will O the Wisp" and others...but thats my opinion and that of others who were fans back in 1981, and not nesessarily those of the producers. :D

BTW, I still have a recording of Wizards performing "Wil O the Wisp" ;)

Some of my fondest memories of Wizard performances extend beyond the performances of original works to their superb "covers" including "Symptom of the Universe", "Rocky Mountain Way", and of course the crowd favorite "Purple Haze". To hear David Carter tear up the frets live with megawatt amps just inches from your head had to be experienced to be fully appreciated. To feel and hear Bill McKinney thump the cans to "Moby Dick", or experience his awesome renditions of Rush classics like "YYZ" and many others is quite beyond description. Hearing Steve do the Geddy Lee on his bass and keys while stomping the taurus pedals to "Working Man", "Bastille Day" etc is also beyond description and probably extends to areas beyond the interests of most on this forum.

I can honestly say that other then the three original "Wizards", David, Steve & Bill, I stand as the only other human who witnessed every live public performance they ever performed as a complete band. In fact, although you will not see my name mentioned anywhere in any liner note or discussion (to my knowledge) I "worked" every public gig ever performed by the band. The exception was their first, but I was there...and chanting Wizards Wizards Wizards with the rest of the crowd. :)

Some may think I am fabricating this story but those who were there will know it to be the truth. I placed work in quotations because work generally indicates toil for remuneration and although there was toil, there was precious little, if any, remuneration for the band let alone crew...if you can call two people a crew. As one of those two "roadies", the payment I recieved was in the form of a good time with friends listening and experiencing great music. I can still see in my minds eye the purplish lights intermingled with whites as the trio played the final strains of "The Final Catastrophe" and hear in my minds ear the last long hair raising guitar note as David ended "Lizards" at 2:30 in the morning in some smokey club.........yes...a different time, a different energy.
"Look back over your shoulder...the past has finally found you, the past won't let you be.."

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:52 am

Forgotten One wrote:
who have had the priviledge of hearing Wyzards think of it?

Ahh yes...a different time, a different energy...you had to be there to fully appreciate it. Some the best Wizards (that's the way is was spelled when it was actually occuring) music was never recorded to any degree of quality. Certainly, "Phantoms & Lizards" and other notable tracks on the Wyzards CD are the exception.

To me, "All Of The World", although an enjoyable work, should have been saved for another CD to allow more room for original Wizard classics such as "Shadows of The Past", "Will O the Wisp" and others...but thats my opinion and that of others who were fans back in 1981, and not nesessarily those of the producers. :D

BTW, I still have a recording of Wizards performing "Wil O the Wisp" ;)

Some of my fondest memories of Wizard performances extend beyond the performances of original works to their superb "covers" including "Symptom of the Universe", "Rocky Mountain Way", and of course the crowd favorite "Purple Haze". To hear David Carter tear up the frets live with megawatt amps just inches from your head had to be experienced to be fully appreciated. To feel and hear Bill McKinney thump the cans to "Moby Dick", or experience his awesome renditions of Rush classics like "YYZ" and many others is quite beyond description. Hearing Steve do the Geddy Lee on his bass and keys while stomping the taurus pedals to "Working Man", "Bastille Day" etc is also beyond description and probably extends to areas beyond the interests of most on this forum.

I can honestly say that other then the three original "Wizards", David, Steve & Bill, I stand as the only other human who witnessed every live public performance they ever performed as a complete band. In fact, although you will not see my name mentioned anywhere in any liner note or discussion (to my knowledge) I "worked" every public gig ever performed by the band. The exception was their first, but I was there...and chanting Wizards Wizards Wizards with the rest of the crowd. :)

Some may think I am fabricating this story but those who were there will know it to be the truth. I placed work in quotations because work generally indicates toil for remuneration and although there was toil, there was precious little, if any, remuneration for the band let alone crew...if you can call two people a crew. As one of those two "roadies", the payment I recieved was in the form of a good time with friends listening and experiencing great music. I can still see in my minds eye the purplish lights intermingled with whites as the trio played the final strains of "The Final Catastrophe" and hear in my minds ear the last long hair raising guitar note as David ended "Lizards" at 2:30 in the morning in some smokey club.........yes...a different time, a different energy.

Wow, you nailed it and brought back some great memories and thoughts of a great great band. I would love to see Wyzards again. Just some great music by even greater people...
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:20 am

Hey to both of you and to the mysterious crew member. You should pm me and let me know which of our old friends you happen to be.
Do you guys know that I have video of Wizards performing Gen X, Will-o'the Wisp and You Really Got Me?

Yes - that band was legendary. I am proud to have been the least of the 3 (yet as some will tell you - the glue that held it together for 3 years).

I have one million memories from those 3 years - not all great mind you. But to have been so young and to have performed like that ! Whew! Needless to say, I was spoiled.

And the CS-5 and Taurus pedals have survived to perform on many GH albums, including the next one!

Thanks for the post. You made my day!

Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

punx
Amateur
Amateur

what a larf

Post by punx » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 am

I'm glad to see some response to this finally (only took 2 1/2 years!) :lol:

There are times at my job when someone walks past my cubicle and (since I have it ripped to my computer) I'm playing TFC (Japanese pressing and custom sequence) and they go "What band is that?" and I always say a lost treasure and leave it at that.....Thanks for letting me know I wasn't alone in the W(y/i)zards universe! :twisted:

Forgotten One
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Forgotten One » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:06 am

and to the mysterious crew member. You should pm me and let me know which of our old friends you happen to be

Let's see, its not too hard to figure out...there really was only two full time "roadies" at any given time...the sound man was one, that being Stan at the very beginning, Horatio, or my favorite the funny man Brett, and that other guy ME who dragged amps around, set up lights & equipment, set up the drum kit and polished the symbols, drove the truck, made the T shirts, ran the massive light setup (all 2 of them) and the list goes on.....I truly am the forgotten one or perhaps invisible? :?:

;)
"Look back over your shoulder...the past has finally found you, the past won't let you be.."

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 am

Nope, you are not forgotten. You are either Tim (which I doubt) or you are someone else. And that means you forgot Tim and he has become the forgotten one.
The t-shirts were the clue...
This guy maybe? Kurt?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:21 am

I can't see the pic.....
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

Forgotten One
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Forgotten One » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:10 pm

Alas, but I wish I were that handsome pipe smoking devil...he is a fine specimen indeed! Where can I make his acquaintance? 8)

Tim is not forgetten, he may have been with you alot and often worked or showed up at or even sang a song but he didnt work them all...and at times didnt come at all.

I can't believe you have forgotten me...the one who discovered you at the Easy Does It...the manager...the producer...the elusive....the genius...the one and only....Howard Dickman :D

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:15 pm

kinda looks like Sesame Street's Bert after a HORRID allergic reaction
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Forgotten One
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Forgotten One » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:26 pm

Surely you jest! I have spent thousands with Phyllis Diller's plastic surgeon!! :)