Wyzards!

Journey of the Dunadan, Perelandra, Live & Revived

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Wyzards!

Post by punx » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:33 pm

OK, I broach the subject because it has always been a wonderful little secret of some of us GH fans, but now that it has been mentioned in The Way To Evermore, I would like to know what other GH fans who have had the priviledge of hearing Wyzards think of it? I know that if someone had turned my pre-teen ear on to Wyzards back twenty years ago, my smile would probably have looked like this: :D , and my ears would have been like my eyes: :shock:

I know it is so not GH really, but the fact remains that even GH has changed invariably through the years. If I am not mistaken, live guitar really didn't appear most strongly until around On To Evermore (which does technically follow the release of The Final Catastrophe in the GH timeline :lol: ), unless you count the live versions of songs from Dunadan and Perelandra, along with the songs from The Lost Album Of '94 :) on Live And Revived, which not all of us have (at least not legally, I know I have from the original run :P ). I know I hear faint echoes of some of my fave metal bands in Wyzard's sound, and it kicks me all the worse when I realize that the majority of the material on the album was written years before the songs I am thinking of! As I understand that only "All Of The World" was written recently (For those select few (like myself) who have the Japanese pressing of The Final Catastrophe, a sidenote to Steve: Was "You Believe It" also written recently?), that makes the craftmanship of a few guys from Tennessee who had no idea they were writing the future of metal years before it happened one of my fave bands of all time.

Well, I await comments from fellow GH/Wyzards fans.

Fredrick Beondo
punx@weirdness.com

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Wyzards!

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:16 pm

punx wrote:a sidenote to Steve: Was "You Believe It" also written recently?), that makes the craftmanship of a few guys from Tennessee who had no idea they were writing the future of metal years before it happened one of my fave bands of all time.
Fredrick,
So sorry I didn't answer this right away. "You Believe It" - the music was written (most of it) around 1982. The lyrics and the bridge were written in the early 90's.
I'm not sure how many of the other forum members have even heard Wyzards!
Steve :D
Last edited by MayorOfLongview on Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:05 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
punx wrote:a sidenote to Steve: Was "You Believe It" also written recently?), that makes the craftmanship of a few guys from Tennessee who had no idea they were writing the future of metal years before it happened one of my fave bands of all time.
Frederick,
So sorry I didn't answer this right away. "You Believe It" - the music was written (most of it) around 1982. The lyrics and the bridge were written in the early 90's.
Well, first off, there is no "e" in the middle of my name, Steve (BTW, this is Fred who you met at Progscape 96 not 95 as TWTE's footage is labelled 8) ). No prob on the lapse of time, as you said, not many GH fans have probably heard Wyzards, but the fact remains there must be a few, and figured to mention it in this forum. I am sure since there is quite a bit of GH craftmanship on Tracy Cloud's Love Changes, that her album, along with the two TMA-2 albums could legitimately be mentioned here as well.

As for You Believe It, It is interesting that you mention the music was written around 1982, because the first thing that the main rhythm riff of the song reminds me of is Iron Maiden, though the exact song it reminds me of is Wasted Years, off the Somewhere in Time album, which again by my convoluted hindsight you partially quoted :D was written and recorded 4 years after the music for this song was written (if not actually recorded) :lol:. I am sure any similarity between the two is completely unintentional (like the Nashville country slide on Into The Night :wink: sorry Steve :) ).

Thanks for the reply, and I still await comments from any other forum members who have experienced the greatest heavy me(n)tal group no one's ever heard :lol:.

Ot-Tor

We're up against...

Post by Ot-Tor » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:09 pm

I bought the Wyzards album not long after I'd heard and almost worn out the sample mp3 "Armageddon" on the Glass Hammer website. I absolutely love it, even more than the Glass Hammer albums! (my favorite of those is Chronometree). It's satisfyingly heavy, has a sense of humor (the "Hell!" repetitions in the title song are a good example), and sounds like a long-lost 70's Rush masterpiece... only better! :twisted: If Wyzards were ever to conjure up another album, I'd be among the first in line to get it.

By the way, Glass Hammer needs to make its way west and give those of us in Memphis who are dying for progressive rock some much needed relief! :D

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:04 pm

I have heard Armageddon from the site, loved it, and am now languishing away for Lack of Wyzards CD. Well, ok, i am not quite languishing because Lex Rex is way cool and better than wyzards, so i have that to listen to. But I still really want a Wyzards Cd and I mean to get one ASAP! :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:10 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote: I'm not sure how many of the other forum members have even heard Wyzards!
I sure have!! My band, I cannot even remember what we called ourselves back then, relished in listening to RUSH, YES, Kansas, and Wyzards. I was in a power trio much like Wyzards. Terry Clouse was the bassist and Todd Godwin was our drummer. We were in our teens when Wyzards did a taping for a radio station; along with several other rock bands. Although, some of the other bands have more "radio-friendly" material at the time, the music that Wyzards created spoke to me. It was a "local RUSH" that I could actually go an converse with. Well, actually David Carter was the only one I knew. Being a guitarist, he was the guy a gravitated toward.

I have heard the CD "The Final Catastrophe" and thought it was very nice; however, I liked the old analog tape that I had in 1982. I liked the arrangements of the songs from then...

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:59 pm

Belithraldor wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote: I'm not sure how many of the other forum members have even heard Wyzards!
I sure have!! My band, I cannot even remember what we called ourselves back then, relished in listening to RUSH, YES, Kansas, and Wyzards. I was in a power trio much like Wyzards. Terry Clouse was the bassist and Todd Godwin was our drummer. We were in our teens when Wyzards did a taping for a radio station; along with several other rock bands. Although, some of the other bands have more "radio-friendly" material at the time, the music that Wyzards created spoke to me. It was a "local RUSH" that I could actually go an converse with. Well, actually David Carter was the only one I knew. Being a guitarist, he was the guy a gravitated toward.

I have heard the CD "The Final Catastrophe" and thought it was very nice; however, I liked the old analog tape that I had in 1982. I liked the arrangements of the songs from then...
Would that I could get a copy of that analog tape...... :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: :banghead: :bawling:

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:08 pm

punx wrote:
Would that I could get a copy of that analog tape......
So would I...

I never owned the tape. One of my long ago departed bandmates had it. It is long since gone away...

Perhaps maybe the mayor has some analog tracks he might share... 8)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:25 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum, Belithraldor. :cheers: That's an awesome name. Where'd you get it?

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:12 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Hey, welcome to the forum, Belithraldor. :cheers: That's an awesome name. Where'd you get it?
Thanks Sam...

I got it at:

http://www.lotruk.com/nametranslator/index.html

This is the Lord Of The Rings U.K. site...

When your real name is translated for you, you can pick between several Middle-Earth races. I chose Elven because they're my favorite.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:34 pm

cool heres my results:

Dear Brian Nielsen, If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Dregrin Proudfoot
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Rhunyc
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Glebriwyn
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Bili
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Prigar
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Banjo and Zigzag
and your sword would be called Pelthail

hmm Rhunyc sounds cool, as does Pelthail, but Glebriwyn??? thats sounds like a pusssssssywillows name to me.... =(
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:45 pm

Here's mine:

Dear April Bower,
If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Meraella Goodbody
and if you were a (female) Man, your name would be Onigosien
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Legiodith
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Mwnoic
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Pourk
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Sword's Sleep
and your sword would be called Glamdrus

Fun site!

April

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:52 am

Concerning the tavern, those of you with dirty minds are respectfully requested to keep your comments to yourself. :lol: :lol:

Dear John Christopher,

If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Drogo Stoors
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Seon
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Celoril
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Mali
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Rigor
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Horny Orc
and your sword would be called Aldring

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:22 am

Dear steve babb, If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Dredoc Mugwort
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Gwiryn
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Anithrawyn
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Hofur
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Puurk
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Thirsty Whale
and your sword would be called Anatis

okay :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:28 pm

http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
Your real Quenya name, if it helps at all...