The Compilations: Vocalists

Journey of the Dunadan, Perelandra, Live & Revived

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

The Compilations: Vocalists

Post by Japes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey all, I've been listening to this album a LOT recently, but even so (still being a fairly new Hammerhead, or Glasshead as I call it) I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing vocalists. Would someone mind just giving a list of who does the main vocals on which song(s). I think I can pretty well identify Steve Babb and Walter Moore between the tracks, and I think I heard Susan Bogdanowicz in In The Court of Alkinoos (but perhaps just as the second female vocalist). Anyways, as you may be able to tell, I'm not entirely sure of anything, so any hard info would be most appreciated.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm

I sing the

"He knelt before the throne of the hallowed prince
And there he made his supplication known"

section of Akinoos. And the first two parts of the "Surely He is good to all of us" breakdown in Morning Song.


Not sure where else, would have to listen.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 am

FredProgGH wrote:I sing the

"He knelt before the throne of the hallowed prince
And there he made his supplication known"

section of Akinoos. And the first two parts of the "Surely He is good to all of us" breakdown in Morning Song.


Not sure where else, would have to listen.
Laura Lindstrom Davis is the first singer and carries the role of "Goddess"
Susie takes the second part as 'the princess'
Fred is Alkinoos
Steve briefly screams out the parts of Ulysses
Walter is the blind storyteller (Homer)
If you can follow the lyrics, you'll know who is singing :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:03 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:I sing the

"He knelt before the throne of the hallowed prince
And there he made his supplication known"

section of Akinoos. And the first two parts of the "Surely He is good to all of us" breakdown in Morning Song.


Not sure where else, would have to listen.
Laura Lindstrom Davis is the first singer and carries the role of "Goddess"
Susie takes the second part as 'the princess'
Fred is Alkinoos
Steve briefly screams out the parts of Ulysses
Walter is the blind storyteller (Homer)
If you can follow the lyrics, you'll know who is singing :)
Steve
Okay, so I got Susie and Steve right, and I think I got Walter. I thought some of Fred's lines were Steve, though, and I didn't recognize Laura. Well, I'm getting better. One day I'll be able to identify everyone blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back! Oh, and who does lead in Time Marches On, is that Steve or Fred?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention how much I love both Steve and Fred's voices, which I haven't heard as much (being introduced only to Chronometree and later albums).

Oh, and who sings "Hero of the Ages, Of the Ages!" at about the 2/3 mark. I wanna say Walter...
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Japes wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:I sing the

"He knelt before the throne of the hallowed prince
And there he made his supplication known"

section of Akinoos. And the first two parts of the "Surely He is good to all of us" breakdown in Morning Song.


Not sure where else, would have to listen.
Laura Lindstrom Davis is the first singer and carries the role of "Goddess"
Susie takes the second part as 'the princess'
Fred is Alkinoos
Steve briefly screams out the parts of Ulysses
Walter is the blind storyteller (Homer)
If you can follow the lyrics, you'll know who is singing :)
Steve
Okay, so I got Susie and Steve right, and I think I got Walter. I thought some of Fred's lines were Steve, though, and I didn't recognize Laura. Well, I'm getting better. One day I'll be able to identify everyone blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back! Oh, and who does lead in Time Marches On, is that Steve or Fred?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention how much I love both Steve and Fred's voices, which I haven't heard as much (being introduced only to Chronometree and later albums).

Oh, and who sings "Hero of the Ages, Of the Ages!" at about the 2/3 mark. I wanna say Walter...
Okay, lets see. I sing the first half of Time Marches On, Fred takes the last half. I think Walter sings that bit about Hero of the Ages. He and I are doubling each other a good deal at the end.
And if you like hearing Fred and me - we're both singing lead on 3 songs on the upcoming album. He's doing 2, I'm doing 1. Susie is handling lead on the rest.
:)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:45 pm

w00t w00t penguin! I can't wait!!
Well, while I'm asking about the vocals, who does lead for Time Marches On, Air Born, The Narrow Way, A is A, and The Morning Song (this question is a biggie)?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Japes wrote:w00t w00t penguin! I can't wait!!
Well, while I'm asking about the vocals, who does lead for Time Marches On, Air Born, The Narrow Way, A is A, and The Morning Song (this question is a biggie)?
Time Marches on, me first, then Fred.
Air Born, me
A is A - Walter
The Morning Song - hmmm.. Walter, then the counterpoint section is Fred, David Carter, me and Walter Moore
I think that's right :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Japes wrote:w00t w00t penguin! I can't wait!!
Well, while I'm asking about the vocals, who does lead for Time Marches On, Air Born, The Narrow Way, A is A, and The Morning Song (this question is a biggie)?
Time Marches on, me first, then Fred.
Air Born, me
A is A - Walter
The Morning Song - hmmm.. Walter, then the counterpoint section is Fred, David Carter, me and Walter Moore
I think that's right :)
Steve
Thanks! It's really cool to hear a band that has such a unique sound vocally that's always changing, especially since it allows many different people to try their vocals to give a different flavor to a different song, or different parts of a song. It's especially cool when they play different characters, because it really defines each of them (like In the Court of Alkinoos)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Japes wrote: The Morning Song - hmmm.. Walter, then the counterpoint section is Fred, David Carter, me and Walter Moore
I think that's right :)
Steve
the counterpoint section is Fred, Fred, then Steve, David Carter and Walter Moore 8)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:57 pm

!!!

Ok, I have listened to this song literally hundreds of times since I first was introduced to it eons ago... and I have NEVER realized that David was there in the counterpoint!! And now just one listen, and, yeah, there he is in the background, just like normal - I seriously have NEVER heard that before!

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY pills!!
Last edited by Sam Gamgee on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Japes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:13 pm

What exactly are you referring to when you say counterpoint? I'm just a bit confuzzled :D
I know I'm still a Hammerhead wannabe, but... WHOA!!! Just listening to The Morning Song, and I think I just heard David's counterpoint! Is it when you have two plus vocalists and the second just gives the "counter" vocal while the first still lingers? Or, actually, is it referring to the additional vocals during multivox? Heck, I don't know, any help please! :shock:
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 pm

You could probably Wiki a more accurate and involved explanation but counterpoint more or less boils down to different concurrent melodies happening at the same time that are independent but complimentary to each other. Bach was the master at it. Gentle Giant does it a lot, both vocally and instrumentally. Regular harmony tends to just follow long exactly with the main melody.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Japes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:!!!

Ok, I have listened to this song literally hundreds of times since I first was introduced to it eons ago... and I have NEVER realized that David was there in the counterpoint!! And now just one listen, and, yeah, there he is in the background, just like normal - I seriously have NEVER heard that before!

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY pills!!
Where else has David done vocals (or instruments) in all of Glass Hammer's work?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 pm

That may actually be the only place. I can't say for sure though. He may be lurking on Narrow Way.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 pm

That may actually be the only place. I can't say for sure though. He may be lurking on Narrow Way. He sang quite a bit on the Wyzards album
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Post Reply