What album by Glass Hammer should I buy next?

Journey of the Dunadan, Perelandra, Live & Revived

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

devilmanozzy

What album by Glass Hammer should I buy next?

Post by devilmanozzy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:46 am

First here's the albums I have and what I think of them.

The Middle-earth Album (I got that bonus disc with it)- This is the best of the albums so far. Very interesting stuff. I really dig songs: Mirkwood, As I Walk, The Last Ship (Very good track!), Mithrandir, Sweet Goldberry.

Lex Rex- I bought this album first since I saw a review of the album on a Prog site. The album was decent, but the mix on the album is a tad too Soft for me. The songs I like on this album are: Tales of the Great Wars, Further Up and Further In (But I'd wish they'd recorded the track so the vocals came up within a minute of the start of the track.), When we were Young, Heroes And Dragons (Very good song!). One sad thing which goes back to the mixing problem on the album would be, I loved the lyrics in the booklet to "Centurion" but I can't hear them on the track. If they ever do a disc like they did as a bonus for the Middle earth album, I hope they Remix "Centurion" so the vocals are heard more clearly.

Journey of the Dunadan- While this album doesn't have too many tracks that grab me, I still like the album for background music. Songs that I like most: The Way to Her Heart (Very beautyful song), The Ballad of Balin LongBeard (but I perfer the version on the Middle Earth Album), Why I Cry (both the Short and long version).

On To Evermore- I Don't like this album all that much. It's like a tad too many soft trcks for me. This songs I like off this album: The Mayor of Longview, This Fading Age (but I perfer the Middle earth version), Junkyard Angel.

Wyzards _The Final Caststrophe- Still trying to get into the album.

Albums I don't have:
Perelandra, Live & Revived, Chronometree.

What album would you suggest I buy next from the web site?
[size=109][color=red] :twisted: What doesn't kill you, makes you weirder! :twisted:
[/color][/size]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:32 pm

I'm not exactly sure how you define "soft". But I think you would really like Chronometree. So buy that first. Live and Revived has some live songs from JoD and Perelandra and a few others (The Wind is one of my fav GH songs of all time), so I would advise you get Perelandra second, and then buy L&R third.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:04 pm

Well I mean, (while trying to explain this to you without being X'ed out of the board) The music is somewhat umm... Not loud.

Well maybe I should explain where my music tastes have been. Here's a short list of bands (the ones closest to bottom of list are newest bands I like)

Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Nevermore, Death, Iced Earth, Rush, Spiral Artatect, Evergrey, Dream Theater, OSI, Cynic.

Now you can see why I'm sort of a oddball here. I dig Glass Hammer cause they strive to be Different, something that is badly needed in the music Industry. So now you can see why I like Middle Earth Album. I like how it is so different from most music being played on the radio, or in the music circles.
By The way, if you can dig a tad bit heavier (Queen sounding music) Go For Blind Guardian's "Somewhere far beyond" and yes its about Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit books.

I hope I am not somehow a troll or something for saying what I like, but there seems to be no "other music" section.

But thanks for the advise, also What do the side projects for Glass Hammer sound like?
[size=109][color=red] :twisted: What doesn't kill you, makes you weirder! :twisted:
[/color][/size]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:43 pm

lol. Oh, that kind of "light". Well, GH generally is. You want "heavy" stuff, you have to get that elsewhere.

Actually I'm a very hybrid music lover as well - I like everything from industrial, hard rock, rap core, rock, punk, techno, dance, prog, eastern/western mixed music (pure eastern is really weird to my ears), irish music, madrigals & renaissance music, medieval sacred music, and classical. Basically anything but country, hip hop, r&b, gospel, and pop. So I like a lot of things. I just like GH best. :) But when I'm not in the mood to listen to light music, I don't listen to it. Then I listen to my other bands. And I also have a big long assorted list.

By GH side projects, are you talking about TMA-2 and Wyzards?

devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:16 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:lol. Oh, that kind of "light". Well, GH generally is. You want "heavy" stuff, you have to get that elsewhere.

Actually I'm a very hybrid music lover as well - I like everything from industrial, hard rock, rap core, rock, punk, techno, dance, prog, eastern/western mixed music (pure eastern is really weird to my ears), irish music, madrigals & renaissance music, medieval sacred music, and classical. Basically anything but country, hip hop, r&b, gospel, and pop. So I like a lot of things. I just like GH best. :) But when I'm not in the mood to listen to light music, I don't listen to it. Then I listen to my other bands. And I also have a big long assorted list.
Yeah Like today I went to work listening to Stonehenge (Progressive Metal band from Hungry) and then going home I listened To Glass Hammer (The Middle Earth album). So yeah I listen to things depending on the mood, which was a cloudy day so both albums made sense to me.

Sam Gamgee wrote:
By GH side projects, are you talking about TMA-2 and Wyzards?

The TMA-2 is the band side project. I have the Wyzard album.
By the way, yes I'm messing around with the colors and stuff on this board so don't be surprised by the color stuff. I'm getting the feel lol.
Anyways Later...
:P

Yes this has been edited once. No Laughing! Gezz I'm terrable at spelling and writing!
[/color][/size]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:56 pm

Cloudy days are the best! Yes, Middle Earth is definately cloudy material, especially Last Ship. :)

Chronometree is the classic summer sunny day, though, driving around and blasting it with windows rolled down... oh yeah.

Night music - that's either peaceful and beautiful music, or some nice hard rock. Depending upon which type of night mood i'm in, i suppose.

I haven't listened to much TMA-2. I only have heard their sample track on the site. It's cool. but the funny thing is, I seem to remember very clearly hearing Fred say in an interview (one of the NEARfest ones?) something about ambient/trance being "boring". And then he goes and writes them? I found it amusing, anyway. :wink:

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:25 pm

"...which GH CD should I buy next...hmmm..."

I posed this question after glomming onto Lex Rex and Chronomotree, and of those whom I asked, a consensus seemed to be Perelandra. Now that Shadowlands has been available for shipping for several days now, I wanted that one and Perelandra. And hey--Perelandra and On To Evermore available as a package deal on the website. Can't go wrong.

The three-CD package arrived in yesterday's mail. Perelandra got one spin thru the CD player, then Shadowlands; as I type OTE is in the player.

I'd only seen the front cover artwork of OTE on the website, then as I took the CDs out of the box, I flipped it over to see the artwork on the back--"...what the...a tattooed angel blowing bubble gum?!? Biker chick angel!!"--and cracked UP. That was, uh, unexpected. :D

On my first spin through Perelandra, I heard a riff in Lliusion that I've heard on the Chronomotree CD. First spin through OTE, I found myself winding back to the beginning of "The Mayor Of Longview;" I really dig the groove the band tears into at the beginning of that song, how the bass and guitar play different roots but it still works together. And, on my first spin thru Shadowlands, it took me by surprise to suddenly hear lyrics I knew! The interpretation of "Longer" is quite well done.

More impressions as they are formed.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:55 pm

johnc wrote: More impressions as they are formed.

johnc
Impressions are wecome and enjoyed :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:50 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Impressions are wecome and enjoyed :)
Awright, then. :) Here's another impression.

For me, nowadays, songwriting is where it's at. Anyone can learn to play an instrument with some degree of proficiency, but those who can write well-crafted music are far fewer in number. I've been listening to "Arianna" a lot over the past few days. To my mind, the instrumental passage between the lyric "...and touched her cheek" and the next lyric "Arianna pulls away..." captures the emotion of sadness, followed by an awakening. I dig it.

Musician magazine interviewed Flea (bassist w/the Red Hot Chili Peppers) back in '91, and he said something that has stuck in my mind ever since. "The best songwriter is someone who has something interesting to say. Period. I've hears [rotten] music from world-renowned virtuosos, and I've heard amazing stuff from people who could barely string together two chords." I tend to have more respect for a songwriter who writes to express what's on his heart, as opposed to writing something for the express purpose of selling it. Which may explain why I have no use for most of today's radio-ready pop music.

Flip side of the coin: I went to see an Atlanta-area prog band called Lord Only a coupla months ago, and one of the bandmemers asked me what I thought of their music. I told him it didn't have a great deal of appeal to me on a personal level, "but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that you keep on writing your own music from your own heart; let listeners know what you feel. Some of 'em will dig it; it's just a matter of time before you find them. Patience."

Why, Glass Hammer was eleven years into its run before I discovered it. :D

johnc

phideaux

Post by phideaux » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:51 pm

I have a very soft spot for Perelandra and my question to everybody is what is your favourite ever GH song???

Mine is Lliusion

runners up: On To Evermore and Conflict

although I think some of Shadowland "Behind the great Beyond" will rate highly in my estimations as well. what does anyone else think? what are your fave GH songs?

phideaux
I have a new album of psychedelic folk rock that you can get for free -- www.bloodfish.com

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:29 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Heaven is my #1 favorite. Close behind come Heroes and Dragons, When We Were Young, and Behind the Great Beyond. These have the "music of epic proportions", along with lyrics of Tolkienesque epicness, which make it totally rock my world. :)

As seniors in my high school, we each get a half page of the yearbook to include some pictures and our favorite quotes... I really wanted to use two lines from Heaven (not the whole thing, since my space is limited): "Tears are wiped away, the pain of years is taken and forever she is free" and "Throw off the chains for the mortal is done away! Her heart is breaking for joy unknown"
...But then I figured that in the context of me being a senior graduating from this school, I decided that they didn't quite get across in the right way... :lol:

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:07 am

#1? Definitely

Heroes and Dragons

April

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:03 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:I haven't listened to much TMA-2. I only have heard their sample track on the site. It's cool. but the funny thing is, I seem to remember very clearly hearing Fred say in an interview (one of the NEARfest ones?) something about ambient/trance being "boring". And then he goes and writes them? I found it amusing, anyway. :wink:
Well, I am probably one of the few people who can say he owns both TMA-2 CDs. What I think Fred may have been alluding to was that he may have found it boring after they did it, because I remember when I found about it from Steve back when Artifact One was being done that it was something they wanted to try doing just to see what happens. They are good, don't get me wrong, and if you listen, you will hear GH-connected moments (how could you not?) as well as related song titles. I wouldn't consider them essential GH material for the completist, mind you, just that they are a small part of the whole GH experience, one that seems to have lived its moment and now is no longer (just like Wyzards :bawling:)

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:35 pm

First off, Holy Moly this is an old thread!

But, the title of this thread is the exact subject of my post. A while back I asked for suggestions on what Glass Hammer album I should get next, but I couldn't find that post in the forums! I was ready to start a new thread, but decided just to use this one.

Anywho, I bought The Compilations and Fred's solo album, and at this point I have decided that instead of trying to pick one album, I'm just going to buy all of the albums I don't have! This includes the Glass Hammer THEN Bundle, the Glass Hammer Adventure Bundle, Lex Live iTunes download, Eiger Dreams and Forum Troll from SnoCap, Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted (once it comes out of course; I can't wait!), and finally a hard copy of Lex Rex (I only have an iTunes downloaded version).

In conclusion, I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, but I just decided that I couldn't get enough Glass Hammer with just ONE album!

Thanks again!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey, getting them all is NOT a bad idea at all =p

Enjoy 'On To Evermore' and 'Perelandra' - they contain some spine-tingling moments.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03