Journey/Perelendra

Journey of the Dunadan, Perelandra, Live & Revived

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Journey/Perelendra

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat May 28, 2005 7:50 pm

I just ordered this bundle. So ya'll that have these give me some feedback of what to expect! I have Shadowlands/Lex Rex/and Chronometree so far and like them all about equally. I love the 70's feel of Chronometree, the songwriting of Shadowlands, and Lex Rex is the most consistent of those three-how do these two compare?I got Perelandra mostly for "Heaven"!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun May 29, 2005 12:33 am

The earlier albums, though still with that distinct Glass Hammerness, have a much different feel. I think they're more laid back, whatever that means to you. Getting Perelandra for Heaven is definitely worth it. Of course, Heaven means so much more in the context of a larger story, so don't go skipping to the end right away. :lol: There are a lot of other good songs on that album. Time Marches On is a classic, That Hideous Strength remains a personal favorite, as well as Felix the Cat, even if I don't care for the jazzy kinda deal on Enda the Lion... Hmm... Perelandra is more purely prog. Journey has a lot of different styles to it, from accoustic inn type songs to a metal-ish orc battle song (that slowly fades into the proggy theme of the forces of light - i love that part). I don't really know how to describe this album apart from all my warm fuzzy memories of first falling in love with the band, so I can't say much more than that. Both albums have always seemed to me to be less energetic then Chronometree/lex rex/Shadowlands, sort of more reflective and calm, especially Perelandra... (By "not energetic" I don't mean lazy or poor quality, though I still like lex rex best so far. They're still intelligent and beautiful, just a different feel.) But these are all vague impressions because though I love the music, I don't know enough to analyze it in much detail... :-/ So that's my take.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun May 29, 2005 1:32 am

You should allways listen to a GH album as an complete package. Every album has a very special feeling. Sometimes when you compare two albums from GH it´s hard to belive it´s one and the same band. This is the greatest strenght of GH and what makes me love them. They have a album for all your moods. The albums even the early ones a very constant in the sound and in the songwriting. They present a lot of suprises as a good prog album should but never a unplesent one. Their a lot of parts where you think you have heard this before, but when you start listning deeper its still something unic. Their are parts where you could think Rick Wakemans playing on Keith Emersons equipment and so on and its just never gets boring listning to this stuff. So be sure you will discover music new after these albums.
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:22 pm

I just got them today. On firat listen I really enjoyed Journey-the narration was a little distracting, but mostly interesting. "The Prancing Pony" was particularily interesting. Musically great-very strong for a debut overall. I'm on cut 7 of "Perelandra" now, and I already have a feeling this might end up being my fav GH CD! The keyboards esp. are just terrific!Cut 2(don't have the title in front of me)is just awesome! My only question so far is "WHERE ARE THE LYRICS TO BOTH OF THESE CD"S?" that are promised in the liner notes. Can't find them anywhere on the website? Am I just stupid or are they not here? let me know,David.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:01 pm

At some opint when the older albums got re-pressed we apparently deleted the booklets and replaced them with single sheet liners. But, Sam has all the lyrics on GHfan.net HERE
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 am

Having convenient lyrics is actually the reason i made that site in the first place... but now it has its few other advantages too. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:33 pm

Very nice site Sam! I printed off the "Journey" and "Perelandra" lyrics last night. really helps alot,David.