Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Hammond sim on Lex Live & Belmont

Post by mflorio » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:38 am

Question for Fred,

Is that one of the Voce models you're using on Lex Live & Belmont shows ? It sounds amazing through the real Leslie (although I didn't see the Leslie onstage at Belmont, was is backstage ?).

Also, what do you use on the studio recordings ?

Mike
http://www.massdream.com

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:37 pm

Pre Belmont I used a Hammond Xm-1 module through the Leslie live. At Belmont it a Nord Electro II rack- the little red module on top of the front keyboards. And it goes 100% direct- there's no Leslie at all. Sweet, eh? Since I am now a Nord endorser I urge everyone to buy one. :D Studio recordings are usually a real Hammond CV + Leslie for the heavy rock (John Lord) sounds, often the Xm-1 + Leslie for the Keith Emerson sound and will probably be mostly the Nord + Leslie on the new album. Although the CV will almost certainly get used too, the Nord is just convenient.

BTW the Hammond module is for sale if you want it! It's not so great if you don't have a Leslie but it's wonderful with one.
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks for the info. The Nord module sounds amazing direct. I would have never guessed it. One thing that always bugged me about the older Hammond sims is that the percussion was never single-trigger, like on the real organs. I've got a Hammond M3 here which sounds great (running thru a Leslie 147), but the limited 3.5 octave keyboards can be frustrating.
http://www.massdream.com

Kineto Zetetics

Post by Kineto Zetetics » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:39 am

Prog Music's Frank wrote:Pre Belmont I used a Hammond Xm-1 module through the Leslie live. At Belmont it a Nord Electro II rack- the little red module on top of the front keyboards. And it goes 100% direct- there's no Leslie at all. Sweet, eh? Since I am now a Nord endorser I urge everyone to buy one. :D Studio recordings are usually a real Hammond CV + Leslie for the heavy rock (John Lord) sounds, often the Xm-1 + Leslie for the Keith Emerson sound and will probably be mostly the Nord + Leslie on the new album. Although the CV will almost certainly get used too, the Nord is just convenient.

BTW the Hammond module is for sale if you want it! It's not so great if you don't have a Leslie but it's wonderful with one.
Fred, this is very interesting. Has the Nord module got full facilities to alter drawbar, percussion and Leslie simulation settings? The organ tones on ‘Belmont’ are first rate. I’ve been using a Korg CX3 myself for a couple of years now but think that you have it nailed with that module.

Also, concerning the ‘Live at Belmont’ gig where do the Mellotron tones from? (fantastic on ‘Knight of the North’) I currently use the GForce M-Tron VST plug in but I’m nervous about laptops live. Finally are the piano tones the onboard Roland RS-9 samples or did you have it MIDI’d to a module?

Always keen to learn from a master.
Dave

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi Dave! No masters in sight but I'll try to help *lol*

Yes, you can change all drawbar settings on the Nord in more or less real time. It uses buttons for each bar and it looks like it wouldn't work well at first glance but it actually works fine. Also, it will respond to slider messages from a controller keyboard like some of the Kurzweils that have seven sliders. The Leslie is limited to fast/slow/brake. No mic distance settings or that kind of thing, but the default sounds really good. (I *think* you can edit the speed ramp up/down times in the OS but I'm not 100% on that.) And overdrive is controllable. Percussion and vibrato/tremolo settings are the same as any organ.

I used the GMedia Mtron on the new album and it rocks! But yeah, I'm not ready to take the VST's live yet (or pay for a MUSE Receptor...) so the Mellotrons live have always been a Roland MVS-1 "Vintage Synth" module.

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/roland_msv1.cfm

GREAT unit but hard to find now, though they tend to be cheap if you do.

And the piano sounds were in fact the RS-9 straight. And the pipe organ as well. That tool some patch tweaking *lol*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Kineto Zetetics

Post by Kineto Zetetics » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 am

FredProgGH wrote:Hi Dave! No masters in sight but I'll try to help *lol*

Yes, you can change all drawbar settings on the Nord in more or less real time. It uses buttons for each bar and it looks like it wouldn't work well at first glance but it actually works fine. Also, it will respond to slider messages from a controller keyboard like some of the Kurzweils that have seven sliders. The Leslie is limited to fast/slow/brake. No mic distance settings or that kind of thing, but the default sounds really good. (I *think* you can edit the speed ramp up/down times in the OS but I'm not 100% on that.) And overdrive is controllable. Percussion and vibrato/tremolo settings are the same as any organ.

I used the GMedia Mtron on the new album and it rocks! But yeah, I'm not ready to take the VST's live yet (or pay for a MUSE Receptor...) so the Mellotrons live have always been a Roland MVS-1 "Vintage Synth" module.

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/roland_msv1.cfm

GREAT unit but hard to find now, though they tend to be cheap if you do.

And the piano sounds were in fact the RS-9 straight. And the pipe organ as well. That tool some patch tweaking *lol*
Actually Fred, just on the strength of one of your previous postings, I chased down a Roland MVS-1 module on Ebay a few weeks back. I agree it's a great module. I haven't got into editting on it yet but the tron sounds are very good. I got it for £90 (around $140)! What has blown me away recently are some of the libraries for Halion which I use as a Cubase plug in. The choir library is EXCELLENT though it hasn't got that beautiful distortion that Tron choirs have. As I mentioned I am too nervous to use a laptop live (even though I now only gig infrequently). The new stripped down (and cheaper!) Receptor sounds the ideal solution but I still have issues with midi messages in a live situation - I've had some hairy experiences in the past (lost 'note off' messages etc).

I'm pleased to hear that the piano patches are from the RS-9 as I think that it carries the same samples as the XV5080 rack I have. It sounds great on the Belmont performance.

Cheers
Dave

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Fred, I'm assuming you've seen this offering from Nord:

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Produc ... nformation

It sounds amazing!

edit: nudge
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03