Bass guitars

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Bass guitars

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:35 pm

I'll throw out the opening pitch on this one. I've been playing since '85, and count rock and fusion players first and foremost among my influences. I got interested in bass in early 1985, thought off-and-on about it for several months. Then I had the pleasure of seeing original Kansas bassist Dave Hope with AD, on June 22, 1985. That date is seared into my memory, as it was somewhere in the middle of that show, seeing Dave play so skillfully and (apparently) effortlessly, that I resolved, I've got to learn how to do that.

Dave and Geddy Lee are the two players I credit (or, as the case may be, blame!) with motivating me to take up the instrument. I've never been really motivated to learn any other instrument; I know quite a few people who play bass in addition to other instruments--primarily guitar--but I wanted to specialize. Do one thing, do it well.

My main instrument's a '98 Peavey Cirrus 5-string which I've had since mid-'99; its backup is (this one's for you, Steve!) an Ibanez Roadstar II five-string which I've had since '90. It must've been made sometime in the mid-to-late-80s, before they'd really figured out how to build fives. Peavey amps and cabs, Digitech and Zoom stompboxes, Boss DI.

The package containing the Lex Rex and Chronometree CDs arrived in the mail last Wednesday, and I finally had some time yesterday to try to play along with Tales Of The Great Wars. (Had to start somewhere. :) ) So far I can knock out about the first five minutes of the song.

Steve and Sam Gamgee are the only other players I know of, who frequent this forum. Any others?

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:16 pm

I play so very little. I haven't dared to try GH yet. It's too intimidating. ;) But when I DO work my way up to it, which song do you think would be easiest?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:38 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:I play so very little. I haven't dared to try GH yet. It's too intimidating. ;) But when I DO work my way up to it, which song do you think would be easiest?

You're asking this of someone who just discovered the band two weeks back, remember. Gimme some time to acquire more CDs, listen to 'em, get the basslines under my fingers...uhhhh....I'll get back to you. In a year or so. :lol:

In the meantime, listen to old country, or old Motown. Get the basics first. Bassists live and die by the root-five.

johnc

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bass

Post by Venividi » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:42 pm

I have been playing bass since 1973 (I was 14). I started playing bass because the band I was in had too many guitar players (I had to switch to bass or leave). My first instrument was the school's Standell bass, an ugly, fat, hard to play monster. I quickly bought my first bass (to solidfy my place in the band), a used Lake Placid Blue Fender Jazz bass. (I bet that puppy would be worth a lot today if I still had it!) Around 1975 I got hooked on Yes and shortly thereafter ELP. Of course this meant that I HAD to get a Ric! So in 1975 I had my dad haul me down to B-Sharp Music in Minneapolis and traded in my Jazz bass for a brand new, black 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 and started to play along with Yes and ELP-got pretty good at it too!

My Ric survived until 1986 when my then two year old daughter knocked it off its stand and split the neck in two. Being that I did not give a hoot for a post 1980 Ric (they screwed up the necks), I got a parts bass from Knut Koupee, another music store in Minneapolis. I never liked this bass, but I had sort of switched from bass to other instruments for a while. In 2000 I decided to get back into playing bass and acquired a black 1976 Ric from e-Bay. It was great to get that Ric sound and feel back. I have since added a Carvin 5 string to my toolset. After many years I am playing around (not gigging) with my old band again I hope to have some orignal music samples to share soon (within a year).

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:57 pm

Here it is...

This Peavey Cirrus, which Sam has christened Luinlun (blue noise, I think), has a 35" scale fingerboard. Most basses' scale lengths are 34"; the extra inch is a great aid in improving the definition of the low B string. The price I pay is slightly more difficult fingering, because the frets are slightly farther apart. According to Peavey, the body is made of alder; the cap (a 1/4" layer of wood on the front of the body, where it can be seen) is maple with purple-heart stringers; the fretboard is pau ferro, a Brazilian hardwoord which is about twice as dense as maple. It weighs in at 9 1/2 pounds.

Guitar players look at my floorboard and get thinking "he's trying to beat us at our own game." :twisted: The signal chain goes right to left; there's (1) a red Digitech Whammy pedal, (2) a little silver Zoom 506II multi-effects pedal, (3) a Boss DI-1 direct box for going into a PA, (4) a silver Visual Sound Visual Volume pedal (a string of LEDs light up to show exactly how much signal is going through), and (5) a black expression pedal, connected to the Zoom; on the fly I can change the amount of distortion, delay, chorus, or any other parameter, or use it as a wah-wah. The signal leaves the volume pedal into the amp.

Anyone who reads this far without falling asleep from boredom is to be commended. LOL Still, everything on that board has a purpose.

johnc
Last edited by johnc on Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:53 pm

Uh.... I read it but without understanding much of it... But I didn't fall asleep! :D
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:29 pm

Yup, I am a 18 year old bass player. I started getting serious about the instrument when I was 14. For a year and a half, I relied on a pick... so the transition to fingerstyle was pretty hard for me, in fact I am still IN the transition!

My gear... well here's ME with my bass:

Dont stare at me too long I've been told I broke a few cameras that day (and I call that picture "Surveying the Crowd").

The bass in the picture is a 2002 Deluxe Fender Jazz bass. I bought it new from MusiciansFriend.com - the color is Candy Tangerine. I love it! You can manipulate any tone you want with it... get a great slap tone, fingerstyle, picking, and tapping... it all works on this bass.

I just bought this bass:

It's a '75 Reissue Fender Jazz bass. I got it "sort of" new on eBay. I've been admiring these basses (the '75 Reissues) because of their great vintage '70s aggressive tone! I have to set this bass up... when I got it, the action was so low that notes above the 5th fret wouldnt sound.

In January '04, I bought this:

That is the Geddy Lee signature Fender Jazz bass. It's made to be like Geddy's '72 Jazz bass; it is made in Japan. It has good tone (it actually sounds more plastic than others), but it has become obsolete since I bought the '75 J-bass; I am thinking about selling it... but I dont know.

I put all of my basses thru a Peavey TNT115 bass amp. It gets the job done... but before I bought the '75 bass, I was in the market for an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro bass head thru a SVT410HE cab. I'll have to wait until I get more money, now. :lol:
-Ryan
"Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
I'm only here for the beer!"

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 pm

Walter (our guitar player) has one of the Geddy reissues. It does sound amazing. Instant Geddy tone. What are you playing it through??
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:58 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Walter (our guitar player) has one of the Geddy reissues. It does sound amazing. Instant Geddy tone. What are you playing it through??

Right now, all I am putting it thru is a Peavey TNT115 combo amp with no effects in between. The Geddy bass sounds good thru the TNT115, but it sounds even better thru the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro head I was looking at... in fact, the moment I laid eyes on the SVT-3 Pro was at a time when I wasnt even looking for bass gear. I was hooked on a guitar project that I had in collaboration with Warmoth, where I planned to build a double-neck guitar/bass. I was testing out effects pedals and stuff and then I took a walk over to the bass section and tried out the SVT-3 Pro head thru the SVT410HE cabinet. WOAH... it blew me away. I forgot EVERYTHING about the double-neck and I concentrated on sticking to bass. :lol:
-Ryan

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:05 am

Yep, the Geddy bass + SVT definitely = Farewell To Kings sound!! Are the new ones tube or solid state??
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:23 am

I think all of the SVT Pros are tube amps, but I am not too sure. The SVT-3PRO is a tube, from what I remember. Sounded great... and just by changing the cabinet, I could get really different tones. My favorite was the SVT410HE; it had a really aggressive and punchy quality to it.

I've also been interested in the 4004 Workingman series of SWR amps... they offer a full stack for about $1350. I've never actually heard them though, so I need to find some place around here that has it.
-Ryan

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:02 am

I love how everyone is going back to just mic'ing a tube amp for gboth guitar and bass- the sound is great =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:57 pm

I particularly like the magenta fur 'hat' ... quite a fashion statement, that :P

April
www.theprogpalace.com

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:53 pm

ok, april you are scaring me.....
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:24 pm

CanarioAB wrote:I particularly like the magenta fur 'hat' ... quite a fashion statement, that :P

Haha, thats not my 'hat'! :lol: That's the picture from the eBay auction; the pink fuzzy stool was that guy's doing.

Actually, my friend and band mates saw the pink chair when I was showing them the auction. They immediately made "gay guy" voices (if you know what I mean) and then they leave the room... the next thing I know my friend charges down the stairs, pinches his nose to simulate "the feminine gay guy voice" and says "Ooooh Ryan does the bass come with that silly pink chair big boy? OH ah hee hee hee hee." :lol:

When the bass arrived without the pink chair... I was relieved.
-Ryan