Bass guitars

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Stan Dupp

Post by Stan Dupp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 pm

I've owned a bass since 1977, and I played with a pick exclusively until around 1982, then I incorperated finger style into my reportoire. I still believe that finger style players that don't use a pick are missing the best of both worlds....I switch back and forth easily and seamlessly, and I love using the pick and fingers for dynamic purposes....and it's fun to play with a pick....

I was once told by another bass player that I'm the only guy that he's ever seen play funk with a pick and nail it....!

I play: F bass GFC custom 5 string, Music Man Stringray 5, Yamaha BBN5 with Duncan Musicman type Pickup, Yamaha bb1600, Fender 75 JAZZ, Ibanez Roadster 300 series, F bass 4 sting fretless, Moog Taurus Pedals, Roland pk5 Midi pedals....etc etc....eden 410 xlt, eden 210xlt, GK 800 RB, pedals pedals pedals,

And I do it because it's the most fun thing to do (legally....in public)

stonewolf

Post by stonewolf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Being a guitar player did help me transition to bass especially because I knew what kind of musical style & brand of bass I would be playing. No problem with the pick, my 4003 sounds great!Playing classical guitar developed coordination but I do notice that uncurling the fingers is something I have to think about and usually attack the strings a bit too hard when I do. Slap playing is groovy and I admire the Victor Wootens of the world.

An interesting anticdote about Myung and DT - Growing up on L.I I used to be part of the crowd that hung out and partied with them when they were called Majesty, then went to their record signing party at Portnoy's house. That was the last I saw of them..Myung was dating this gal Stephanie at the time and a bunch of us used to carpool over to Sundance and see them play...real loud! I have more stories but that is the gist of it. It was pretty cool to see they finally made it, Japan was very kind to them.
"play something important"

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 pm

The drummer in one of my bands would pick your brain dry if he knew that. He's a major-league DT fan.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:52 am

This little toy is giving me a bad case of gotta-have-it-osis. It's got about as much power as my Peavey bass amp, but weighs only about 65 pounds compared to the Peavey's 95. I really like the slanted-back cabinet; you can point the speakers straight up at your face. I'm over the idea of needing face-melting volume from a bass amp; nowadays I just want something that's loud enough for me to hear myself over the other musicians' instruments.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.