Bass guitars

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:01 pm

lol...that's a room full of musicians for you...particularly instrumentalists, lol
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:28 am

hmm. -sniff-
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pick vs Finger

Post by Venividi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:54 pm

Ryan in the House wrote: For a year and a half, I relied on a pick... so the transition to fingerstyle was pretty hard for me, in fact I am still IN the transition!

I am curious why you are transitioning from pick to finger. Its seems to me that some of the best bass players in the world are pickers (Steve Babb included!).

I use the pick for almost everything. I like the sound a LOT better. I use the fingers when I want a more mellow sound, usually for slow songs.

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:43 pm

Seeing players who I admired is one of the reasons I switched to playing with my fingers, such as Geddy Lee, John Alderete, Michael Anthony, and Stanley Clarke. I havnt completely dropped using a pick... in fact, I still do. The main reason I am using fingerstyle right now more than the pick is that I want to become better with my fingers, so I just need to work on them more than the pick.

I like to use the pick, too... it gives you a sound that fingerstyle can not. At the Musician Forums, I was one of the only bassists that defended pick-usage (can you believe that?). It must have been a "trendy thing" to bash pick-players, or to consider them as "underlings" compared to the fingerstyle players (yes, these bassists were Jaco elitists... but they were bitter morons!). I reminded them that in '51, when Fender made the first P-bass, NAMM published an article about it, and I took a quote from the article which said "The insrument can either be played with a plectrum, or finger-style."

So, I know that pick-usage dates back to the very beginnings of electric bass history, and I respect players who use picks.

But if you can do it all, you are set for life. That why I've been trying to juggle around with tapping, slapping, pick playing, and fingerstyle.
-Ryan
"Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
I'm only here for the beer!"

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:28 pm

Right now the pick seems to be kind of uncool with younger bass players. Even in prog John Myung probably influences a lot of people to use fingers, as does Geddy. In a while some new band will come out and the guy will use a pick and it will all go the other way again! I'm not much of a bass player myself, but I actually like the Geddy play-real-freakin'-hard-with-your-fingers approach. But since I don't play much I do wayyy better with a pick.

BTW I think everyone in GH is a Grand Funk fan.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:46 am

Well, a lot of young guys use picks nowadays, too. It's what they see their favorite punk band doing... so they emulate it. Mark Hoppus... Mike Dirnt... they use picks, and are popular around kids.

A lot of kids are getting into DT, too, though (maybe not as big as the punk audiences) but young bass players nowadays barely even hear about Geddy Lee. I think it's all about Dream Theater now... these kids think DT is the flagship of the music world. They are not in touch with their roots!

So the guys in GH like Grand Funk? Grand Funk fans unite!
-Ryan

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:34 am

I am a big time user of the pick myself. I use fingers for the soft stuff, but the pick is how I taught myself. Geddy uses one too if you take into account his 'fingernail'. When I first began to play, Gene Simmons and Chris Squire both used picks. And if Gene and Chris used one, well then I had to as well! lol

BTW, I actually opened up for Mark Farner of Grand Funk about 15 years ago. Fred was at that show, but not in the band with me at the time. We used to play a couple of GF songs in our 'big hair' metal band in the late 80's and it was always a big hit with our audience.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:49 am

Fingernail 'picks' are FREEEEEAAAKY. :shock:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:45 am

I've seen Wetton use both.

April
www.theprogpalace.com

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

That explains it!

Post by Venividi » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:43 pm

I must fess up. I asked the finger vs pick question because I was showing my basses to a bass player much younger than me and when I mentioned that I play with a pick (which happens to be the EXACT same pick model that Chris Squire uses), he gave me a look of considerable disdain as he said "you play with a pick????"

Its kind of funny becaus its about the same attitude I had 20 years ago toward bass players who tried to sound good using their fingers - like "wake up a learn to play the thing for REAL!" lol

I guess what goes around come around.

On the flip side I was talking to an even younger bass player some time after this and his jaw hit the floor when I told him I had a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001. He couldn't figure out what and old foggie like me was doing with a cool old axe!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:17 pm

CanarioAB wrote:I've seen Wetton use both.

April
www.theprogpalace.com

He didn't use a pick at all on the Tokyo Tapes DVD and you can really tell. It just doesn't have the bite for certain songs.
Same thing with Jeff Berlin on the ABWH DVD (filling in for Tony Levin, who is one of those guys that can get a pick sound without one)- anyway, Berlin didn't sound right playing Chris Squire's parts. He's one of the greatest bass players ever, but his style is just wrong.

Speaking of Tony Levin, have you seen his little hammers that he tapes to his fingers? There's a cool sound.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:18 pm

what about funk fingers?
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:27 am

I favor playing fingerstyle, but need to play pickstyle for really fast intricate parts. I can switch quite quickly, since I store the pick underneath the bottom edge of one pickup. My backup bass, the Ibanez, has a considerably narrower neck than the Peavey, which makes playing fingerstyle harder (the strings are closer together). But for pick playing, it's great. The goal I'm working towards is to be able to choose between the two styles based on what I want to do, not on what I'm capable of. I want to be able to play fingerstyle with the same speed and accuracy I can now get playing with the pick.

johnc

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:29 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:I am a big time user of the pick myself. I use fingers for the soft stuff, but the pick is how I taught myself. Geddy uses one too if you take into account his 'fingernail'. When I first began to play, Gene Simmons and Chris Squire both used picks. And if Gene and Chris used one, well then I had to as well! lol

BTW, I actually opened up for Mark Farner of Grand Funk about 15 years ago. Fred was at that show, but not in the band with me at the time. We used to play a couple of GF songs in our 'big hair' metal band in the late 80's and it was always a big hit with our audience.
Steve

You guys had a 'big hair' metal band? hee hee that sounds fun!

What did you usually play? Sabath?
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:02 pm

I started with a pick because:

a) I heard and saw guys like Duff McKagan, David Ellefson, and Gene Simmons doing it

b) because I heard some incredible bass playing on the Racer X song "Scarified" and I thought that the bass playing was done with a pick...

c) I didnt even know you could get fast with fingers... I hadnt heard of Jaco, Stanley Clarke, or even seen any fast finger-style players

I transitioned to fingerstyle because:

a) it would open up my playing and versatility beyond what I was doing before

b) I had realized that there was a difference between pick sounds and finger sounds (when before I had a hard time recognizing the two), and I wanted to achieve a finger-style sound for certain sounds

c) I was tired of getting dissed about using a pick! I would back up my pick-usage, of course (and I still do), but I wanted to shut the naysayers up
-Ryan