Bass guitars

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:43 pm

rox wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:I am a big time user of the pick myself. I use fingers for the soft stuff, but the pick is how I taught myself. Geddy uses one too if you take into account his 'fingernail'. When I first began to play, Gene Simmons and Chris Squire both used picks. And if Gene and Chris used one, well then I had to as well! lol

BTW, I actually opened up for Mark Farner of Grand Funk about 15 years ago. Fred was at that show, but not in the band with me at the time. We used to play a couple of GF songs in our 'big hair' metal band in the late 80's and it was always a big hit with our audience.
Steve

You guys had a 'big hair' metal band? hee hee that sounds fun!

What did you usually play? Sabath?

Judas Priest, Iron Maidon, Ozzy, ... the usual suspects :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:59 pm

I had been doing these last year with my band. I wonder how many years it will take for me to become a prog icon :mrgreen:
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm a bass (pick) player, and sometime teacher. I've been through this argument time and again, but mostly when in the presence of other bass players who really look down their noses at pick players.

I remember being at Brighton Rockschool and Rob Burn of London's BassTech giving us a quick lesson. As the only pick player in our group, When I played to him he sighed, said 'well if you must use a pick...' and then showed me some rock solid pick technique :D.

My jazz teacher Paula Gardiner tried to get me to switch, but I'm sufficiently comfortable in my own technique to fight my corner and I refuse to join the masses of finger players.

Many of them try to tell me how much faster and more fluid a finger player is, my response is to disuss Dominque di Piaza (spelling?) who is John McLaughlin's bass in the J McL Trio. He uses first finger and thumb in an up/down motion, strangely much like a pick. He's also by far the fastest bass player I've ever heard, using a completely unique style...

I learned pick playing firstly from Trevor Rabin (Yes guitarist during the 80s) who has perfect technique, and then from Frank Gambale (guitarist with Vital Information and Chick Corea) who taught me all kind of sweep techniques not normally associated with the bass!

(In both cases I'm talking videos... I can't afford those kinds of lessons)

I don't think Squire has a good picking technique, in fact I don't know a bass player who's picking technique I would actively recommend. :lol:

My hero of bass technique is Dave LaRue (Steve Morse Band). Solid with a capital Sol.

My villain is John Myung (Dream Theater). Don't hunch like he does! You'll hurt yourself! :D

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi, Sam! We'll have to call you Sam II so as not to get confused with Sam... uh, you know, I :D

Speaking of Dave LaRue, what about Steve Morse's pickng technique? He's the first guitarist I remember ever hearing (and maybe the last) who has developed the habit of picking every single note (no hammers or pull-offs, EVER) and he's really clean at it. Al DiMeola might qualify too, I suppose, though personally I never cared for him that much...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:15 am

Morse is incredible!

I remember watching him with Deep Purple on TV once, even before I started listening to prog. It was like "whaddahell this guys is THA-MAN!".
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:00 am

Hi Fred :D

Steve Morse is quite incredible. I guess he'd be a good model for a bass picker too, but I can't comprehend the kind of speed he gets up on something like 'Rush Hour' - maybe he's finger picking.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:25 pm

BTW, love the AV! Even though he doesn't appear to have a flute that's a total vintage Ian Anderson pose :D

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:48 pm

Oh :)

He's actually a she :)

You can catch a bigger version on my website

www.harlequingames.com

I would strongly advise anyone thinking of going to look not to delve into the site. Its for hardcore strategy gamers, with not much prog going on! :D

However, I notice that Simon Arnold, one of my customers, has already signed your guestbook. He runs a fansite for the brilliant UK Yes tribute band Fragile. The world is small. :D

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:23 pm

lol yup, thats a she.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:29 am

Sure enough! Just couldn't tell from the litle AV.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:34 am

Jerry Peek, bassist with the first version of the Steve Morse Band ('83 to '85), has one of the most interesting right-hand techniques I've ever had the pleasure of seeing up close. He'll play with a pick, but leave his right-hand ring and pinkie fingers free to play fingerstyle. He'll do both simultaneously, like a guitarist might, or do one-or-the-other and be able to change in a flash. Then when he plays slap-style, he'll leave the pick between his right-hand index and middle fingers, slap with his thumb and snap with ring and pinkie. Thus, he can switch between three right-hand techniques so quickly.

Nowadays he freelances in the Atlanta area; I've seen him with several different bands. Great guy, in addition to being a superior player.

johnc

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:28 pm

http://www.bunnybass.com/e-zine/amusing/amusingindex.shtml

Y'all gotta check this out. It had been offline for a couple of years. The pictures are cool, but the funniest part is the "read or write a comment" option that goes along with each entry. Disclaimer: You'll learn a few new words, and not all of them will be PG-rated.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

thor156
Professional
Professional

Post by thor156 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Any one mention Les Claypool ? Now that's some non pick using funk-jazz-freaky style if you ask me...

puff

Post by puff » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:29 pm

Daily updated list of really functioning public proxy servers: http://www.checkproxy.net

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:00 pm

puffball banned! :sprite:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]