Pedal steel?

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

carltonh

Pedal steel?

Post by carltonh » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:14 pm

I hear lots of Steve Howe like pedal steel riffs on the more recent GH albums. (With slide and a smooth compressed overdrive and a little delay)

However, I don't see pedal steel listed as one of the instruments, unless I overlooked it. Does GH use one? Or is it just slide electric guitar?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:38 am

In the CD credits, it's called steel guitar. A guitar that is set on a stand so that the fretboard is horizontal; the player doesn't strap it over his shoulder like a conventional guitar. It's played with a steel slide, and I can't see how anyone would strum chords on it.

Side note--when I first saw the term "steel guitar" in album credits, I naturally assumed, you know, that this was a guitar made of steel. Which oughta sustain 'til a quarter past forever, but woe be to the player who'd have to wear such a contraption around his neck. :shock:

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:10 am

You can see it on one of the lex rex movie clips, i think. I put a link to them at my site on the video page. http://www.ghfan.net
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:04 pm

I don't know a ton about different guitars, but my friend had a lap steel like that. Its pretty cool, even if you don't have a clue what you are doing. My other friends parents used to own a music store, so they have instruments all along their basement walls. They have this one Instrument that is about the size of a ukelele, but is obviously tuned like a guitar (i checked). It weighs a ton! I could barely hold it without a strap and it was only like 22 inches long!
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?