Pedal steel?

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

carltonh

Pedal steel?

Post by carltonh » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:14 pm

I hear lots of Steve Howe like pedal steel riffs on the more recent GH albums. (With slide and a smooth compressed overdrive and a little delay)

However, I don't see pedal steel listed as one of the instruments, unless I overlooked it. Does GH use one? Or is it just slide electric guitar?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:38 am

In the CD credits, it's called steel guitar. A guitar that is set on a stand so that the fretboard is horizontal; the player doesn't strap it over his shoulder like a conventional guitar. It's played with a steel slide, and I can't see how anyone would strum chords on it.

Side note--when I first saw the term "steel guitar" in album credits, I naturally assumed, you know, that this was a guitar made of steel. Which oughta sustain 'til a quarter past forever, but woe be to the player who'd have to wear such a contraption around his neck. :shock:

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:10 am

You can see it on one of the lex rex movie clips, i think. I put a link to them at my site on the video page. http://www.ghfan.net
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:04 pm

I don't know a ton about different guitars, but my friend had a lap steel like that. Its pretty cool, even if you don't have a clue what you are doing. My other friends parents used to own a music store, so they have instruments all along their basement walls. They have this one Instrument that is about the size of a ukelele, but is obviously tuned like a guitar (i checked). It weighs a ton! I could barely hold it without a strap and it was only like 22 inches long!
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?