Walter Moore's Drums on ghfan.net photo

Synthesizers, guitars, bass, drums...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:56 pm

I personally love the Shadowlands drum sound.
I'm generally more interested on divisions and harmonies/melodies, but a good timbre can make good songs incredible...
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:45 am

electric drums??? :shock: I guess I must be a real newbie, I had no idea that the drums on either of those albums were any different. I couldn't even tell you the difference (hehe, my untrained ears!). Don't even think I've ever seen one.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:39 pm

Sorry if that seemed like a smack-down, Brian. All I meant was that there's a real trade-off to consider on that end. It takes way more work to get a good live drum sound. I felt we never got it with Walter, and we're trying to get it with Matt. On Chronometree it didn't matter because an older sound was part of the idea. The problem with drummers is they are all too poor to own good sounding drums! *lol*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Ryan in the House
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ryan in the House » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:46 pm

Oh, believe me guys, I am psyched that we're getting an electronic set! It's unbelievable how much you can do with it. It's portable, compact, silent, and it sounds great! The set we're getting has three cymbal pads (I think you can choke them, but I am not sure if you can do that on ALL of them).

Behold... the Yamaha DTXpress III Special.

One of my only gripes with electronic kits is the digital sound. Sometimes I listen to an electronic kit and feel that the hihats seem too processed, or the kick sounds just too fake. When you record the drums to a song, you dont have the chance to really closely scrutinize the drums because there are other instruments in the background to distract you. It's hard to tell (sometimes) if a kit is electronic or acoustic nowadays, because the electronic kits are so advanced!

Anyway, the choice is going to be an electronic kit, and I am happy with it. Now I just gotta find out what kind of double-pedal I am going to get... I was thinking of the Flying Dragon by Yamaha, but I also like the Iron Cobra by Tama.
-Ryan
"Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
I'm only here for the beer!"

Mark of Cenla

Post by Mark of Cenla » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:01 am

FredProgGH wrote: The problem with drummers is they are all too poor to own good sounding drums! *lol*

I am a public school teacher, and I can afford good sounding drums: Mapex Saturn Pros. Good drums are certainly worth the money, although IMHO too much importance is placed on shell material and price. Peace.
Mark Wellman ><>

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 am

I'm not much of a drummer, but I do know that good drum heads, patience, and a good ear for adjusting the tuning of each peg will make a world of difference
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Captain Squib

Roto-toms.

Post by Captain Squib » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:26 am

Excuse me for being thick, but what is the difference between roto-toms and electric pads like Simmons or D-Drum?
He who stands on toilet must be high on pot!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Roto-toms.

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:44 am

Captain Squib wrote:Excuse me for being thick, but what is the difference between roto-toms and electric pads like Simmons or D-Drum?

No sweat, mang!!

Roto-Toms are acoustic drums and mic up like a regular drum. They simply have one head and no shell whatsoever. Bill Brofird circa One Of A Kind and UK was using an all Roto-Tom kit. They can sort of sound litke little tympanis.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]