Headphones

Computers, mixing panels...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Headphones

Post by Japes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey all, I've been thinking about getting some nice headphones just for listening purposes. The headphones that come stock with iPods are the epitome of headphone crap and I just acquired some Sony in-canal phones that are much better than the Apple ones, but could still do with some improvement. What I'd REALLY like are some nice out-of-ear headphones, but lightweight, preferably under $100. I REALLY like the Bose headphones of those specifications, but they are definitely out of my price range. So does anyone have any suggestions? (I could go with in-ears if someone here has a suggestion that they think is REALLY worth it)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 pm

There's a thread somewhere around here about cheap but AMAZING 'over the ear' headphones from Koss I've bought about a half dozen of them, but they are only like $15 bucks.

Fred said they are the best sounding (and balanced) ones for the price.

Just dont go crazy with bass on them - they will distort and eventually 'burn out'.

KS 12 or something?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:42 pm

I did some searching and couldn't find what you were talking about. I also looked on the forum and couldn't find any other threads with it (though it could be in one of the gosh-awful long ones like "introduce yourself"). If it isn't ks 12, do you happen to remember what it might be? I mean, $15? That's a steal for a nice pair of headphones (not to mention them being Fred-approved), so now I'm really interested in looking them up.
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Brian Nielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:04 am

Oh, those?! They're really that good? From what I've read they're really cheap and low quality...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 am

Japes wrote:Oh, those?! They're really that good? From what I've read they're really cheap and low quality...
Cheap yes, but they do sound really good. I hate ear buds. These are perfect for running because they clip to the ears and the cord doesn't bounce. And you can still hear the world around you if something happens. Good low end. And I've had mine for over a year and they're holding together well. Check 'em out on Amazon and read the reviews there...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- Jon Arbuckle

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 am

FredProgGH wrote:
Japes wrote:Oh, those?! They're really that good? From what I've read they're really cheap and low quality...
Cheap yes, but they do sound really good. I hate ear buds. These are perfect for running because they clip to the ears and the cord doesn't bounce. And you can still hear the world around you if something happens. Good low end. And I've had mine for over a year and they're holding together well. Check 'em out on Amazon and read the reviews there...

Yeah, I'll look at 'em, but do you have any suggestions of "over-the-ear" headphones that are a bit more noise-cancelling?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 pm

Like I said, they're cheap enough that I dont care when they burn up afte about 6 months of use (ok.. *my* use is NOT typical lol)
Brian Nielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:50 pm

I was just given some audio-technica ATH-908s, but I can't find any review online. I am unfortunately terrible at comparing headphones and sound quality, so has anyone had any experience with this these headphones, or similar ones at that?