Writing Process

Computers, mixing panels...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Writing Process

Post by Bnielsen » Sun May 09, 2004 12:38 am

I was wondering if both Steve and Fred could possibly share some insight on how they go about writing a song and it's lyrics? Once you do, do you just commit it to memory, or do you record bits, or transcribe it? Especially in light of the complex nature of many of your songs- do you ever write a simple chord pattern, and then mess with the beat or rythym to make it more complex?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Writing Process

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun May 09, 2004 3:20 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I was wondering if both Steve and Fred could possibly share some insight on how they go about writing a song and it's lyrics? Once you do, do you just commit it to memory, or do you record bits, or transcribe it? Especially in light of the complex nature of many of your songs- do you ever write a simple chord pattern, and then mess with the beat or rythym to make it more complex?

For me, I sometimes start with a drum machine pattern and a bass guitar in my lap. Once I've got the bass line, I'll sequence the bass line with a keyboard sound, then start adding the main keyboard parts. Much later I'll record the real bass.
Or - I'll start with keyboards and a drum machine pattern. Its really all about jamming to a rythym for me. Run Lissette was written that way. When I get something I like, I really begin to work on it as music.
Fred is really good with taking sections, and then doing them in all sorts of new ways. But essentially, I think he writes the same way. We use the sequencer as a recorder.
On our latest peice, I wrote some lyrics first and he put down the music. Then he added more music and I worked on lyrics. Next, I added a big section of music and lyrics, then he put the ending on. This will be the new epic 20 minute tune.
The end result may sound really complex, but the process is very easy for us. Most GH songs are written in hours, then produced for months!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:This will be the new epic 20 minute tune.
The end result may sound really complex, but the process is very easy for us. Most GH songs are written in hours, then produced for months!
Steve

Thanks, can't wait! ..boy oh boy..... why cant GH songs be written in hours, then produced in about a week or so? ;-)
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon May 10, 2004 7:07 am

Bnielsen wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:This will be the new epic 20 minute tune.
Steve

Thanks, can't wait! ..boy oh boy..... why cant GH songs be written in hours, then produced in about a week or so? ;-)

If it weren't for other people wanting to get their albums done we'd be able to! But if it weren't for those other people we wouldn't have a studio! That's life ! :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon May 10, 2004 1:54 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Thanks, can't wait! ..boy oh boy..... why cant GH songs be written in hours, then produced in about a week or so? ;-)

Good things come to those who wait. Better things come to those who don't discover a band until it's been around for over a decade--because then they can snap up the back catalog and drown in a Glass sea of Hammerin' music. :D

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon May 10, 2004 4:18 pm

Drat! I forgot my password and now my email has been altered. :( Oh well. I'll just have to register again... Thank you, the link worked.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed May 19, 2004 9:39 pm

any details on the newest album you can perhaps divulge? ::drool::
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed May 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Bnielsen wrote:any details on the newest album you can perhaps divulge? ::drool::

Only that it is going great. Matt has recorded 20 minutes worth of drum tracks. I'm halfway through the same song on bass. Fred's done the Hammond. But we've both got to add the analog synths. Singers start to sing this week :)
Steve