Computers, mixing panels...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

sequencing software

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:17 am

hey do you guys use Sonar or ProTools?

and i saw some of your written stuff on the Lex Live, steve. could you explain how it works or rather how it's read? heh, classical musician, lay some notes on a staff in front of me n i'm set...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: sequencing software

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:25 am

DruidsGlass wrote:hey do you guys use Sonar or ProTools?

and i saw some of your written stuff on the Lex Live, steve. could you explain how it works or rather how it's read? heh, classical musician, lay some notes on a staff in front of me n i'm set...
For sequencing we use Cakewalk. We've been using it since the beginning. We record to a Roland vs2480 and mix down to the computer for mastering in Sound Forge. Now you know the whole process! We score using Cakewalk, which isn't the best for that, but it gets the job done. My cheat sheets are done with a Sharpie though. No one can read them but me, and even that is hard some times!
lol
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:14 pm

i know u use cakewalk, i was asking which one, Sonar or ProTools?

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:49 pm

Ever used Nuendo? I know several pro engineers who have bagged ProTools and other Cakewalk products in favor of it.

April

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:43 pm

CanarioAB wrote:Ever used Nuendo? I know several pro engineers who have bagged ProTools and other Cakewalk products in favor of it.

April
For scoring?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:53 pm

nah, never used it b4...i use finale for all my engraving needs...hey steve, do you present your music to everyone else aurally or in traditional music form?

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:50 pm

The engineers I know (3 of them) don't primarily do scoring, they do more mastering, sequencing, etc. ... studio stuff direct to CD ... so no, they don't use Nuendo for scoring. I could probably find out it's scoring capabilities tho, I'm guessing it's got that covered. I use Finale NotePad for scoring. For the amount and nature of the scoring I do, it suits my needs although it's not nearly as complete as the full 'Finale' program. It's super-easy to use too. I couldn't for the life of me figure out Cakewalk Home Studio's scoring stuff. You may recall the nervous breakdown I nearly had over it ... ;)

My best friend's husband wrote an entire symphony using the full Finale program -- never once needed his piano to try something out. Amazing program. I've heard Sibelius is good too.

April

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:40 am

i've tried out sibelius and i like finale much more, sibelius sets forth 1 way to do things and if you dont want to do it that way, too bad, whereas finale has gone so far as to allow 3rd party plugins

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:47 am

DruidsGlass wrote:nah, never used it b4...i use finale for all my engraving needs...hey steve, do you present your music to everyone else aurally or in traditional music form?
The string players get music, sometimes the girls on back up vocals. But everyone else gets a cd to rehearse with, and are allowed to improvise their parts 'somewhat'.
Steve

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:54 am

cool, i'm not very good at learning stuff by ear, i'm improving tho...