Books - movies - actors - losers

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Books - movies - actors - losers

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:51 pm

I'm rereading LotR. Again. I've just left Lorien for the 5th time. (GOOOD BOOK! But the Sil is still better. ;))

I've just been constantly realizing how much I love Aragorn. He's been my second favorite character for so long. But Viggo made me forget that. And Frodo? Frodo is so lovable, and courageous, and hobbitlike and wise at the same time. Elijah Wood only knows how to act cowardly, scared, and innocent-looking, which make me loathe rather than love him.

But I'm not here to talk about the negatives! I was also thinking about how my love of certain characters were really deepened by the movie. You know?

***cheif example***
SEAN BEAN! He SO is Boromir. He is such a talented actor, and he took on the role so completely that even though the lines were switched around (acutally, PJ takes away some of Boromir's not so great lines/moments and gives them to other people - like Boromir was the one who disturbed the Watcher, not Pippin, and stuff like that), the character in the movie blends seamlessly with the character in the book.

Another example (not so great, but still excellent) is Brad Dourif. I never really thought much about Grima Wormtongue, but Brad just became so detestable and gross and evil - it was awesome! He just fills in the details that Tolkien doesn't specifically mention.

Eomer and Eowyn, same thing (though I like Karl Urban's job better than Miranda Otto's - just because Miranda and those spastic big eyes in that one scene with her practicing on the sword - lol)

Oh, and I can't forget Dominic Monoghan and Billy Boyd. On screen and off, they were totally Merry and Pippin. Some people complain that they trivialize the hobbits somehow, but I totally disagree. They really made me appreciate the characters more. :)

And Hugo Weaving just rocks, so obviously he did a good job as Elrond. Can't say much for the receding hairline, but you gotta love his zillion expressions. (I printed out a different expression to reflect each subject - Steve, you'd love my Kant one! ;))

And Orlando Bloom was just as I have always imagined an elf to be. I am not going to go into much detail at the risk of sounding like a Bloomie. I am NOT a Bloomie, and if anyone accuses me of being so, I will disembowel them. :)

Anyway, that's all i can think of for now - anyone else? (it's fine if you like viggo and elijah -go ahead and say why. :) i just don't, for whatever reasons.)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:01 am

The two characters that have been best developed by the movie are:

Boromir: Partly due to great acting. I found myself empathising with him much more than when I read the books.

The Ring: It sounds a little silly to list it as a character, but it is definitely given a personality in the movie. The ring becomes an ominous presence in the movie, and Frodo's battle (as well as Boromir's) seems that much more real.

I also like Galadriel's slightly ambiguous nature. Wise and beautiful anyone can do, but dangerous as well is a line lesser directors would have passed over.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:05 am

Lets see what PJ does with Denethor and The Mouth of Sauron. That should be interesting.
Hey - I get to meet a few of the actors in Toronto. Haldir for one!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:06 pm

Awesome! Tell Craig I said hi. ;) When is that, by the way? Coming up pretty soon?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:59 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Awesome! Tell Craig I said hi. ;) When is that, by the way? Coming up pretty soon?

Dec 15-17
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart