Attempt!

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Attempt!

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:56 pm

Got the 4 books of LotR for Christmas, and I'm going to attempt to read them fr the first time all the way through... since.. i think 5th grade. So, anywho, here I go. =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Attempt!

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:16 am

Bnielsen wrote:Got the 4 books of LotR for Christmas, and I'm going to attempt to read them fr the first time all the way through... since.. i think 5th grade. So, anywho, here I go. =)

You HAVE to keep us updated on your progress. We'll help (goad) you along. If you have any questions feel free to ask. There'll be a test when you're done! :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:26 pm

haha! Goad! :twisted: ha!

Where there's a whip
There's a way!

(;) You know things are starting to get scay when the Rankin & Bass musical comes up... Good for you brian! Read those books! :))
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:37 pm

about a quarter of the way thorugh the hobbit, just strted reading earlier
Brian Nielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:45 am

At 2:30 AM monday morning, I have finished "The Hobbit" now for some sleep...
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:22 pm

Bnielsen wrote:At 2:30 AM monday morning, I have finished "The Hobbit" now for some sleep...

Just remember that The Hobbit was the children's book. You're about to read the real thing now! :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:00 pm

Well, kind of the middle of the scale. I still think the Sil is the real thing! But LotR is pretty close. It's the bridge to the most real thing.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:38 am

I've also decided to read all three LOTR books this week (with Silmarillion to follow...) I got halfway through The Fellowship of the Rings at my brother's volleyball tournament today. I like volleyball and all, I used to be on the team myself, but IT WAS 12 HOURS LONG!!! What nutcase of a tournament organizer would make me suffer through this? They played only four games and had to ref at the end, taking another hour. Anyway, I only read for about three or four hours, so I'm reading at a fair pace. I will probably finish tomorrow, although I'm going to get my liscence and then going to play pool with my friends, so I probably won't get started on the two towers until Wednesday. Also, I forgot how much the movie cut out of Fellowship (I havn't seen the extended version, don't get mad) before Rivendell. I read the Lord of the Rings in its entirety before Fellowship came out, but each time I saw the movie, I guess I forgot more and more of what "really" happened. Jackson doesn't really mess anything up too bad, but ABSOLUTELY nothing happens the same up until Rivendell (after Rivendell remains to be seen :D ) Nothing! Also, the movie would have you believe that Frodo leaves very soon after Bilbo leaves. In the book it is *almost* seventeen years! :shock: I remembered that it was several years, and never failed to tell everyone I knew when we watched it. I thought it was between 6 or 10...
Anyway, has anyone seen any of the cartoon versions of Lord of the Rings (not the Hobbit, everyone's seen that). The whole thing is broken into three movies (The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Rings, and some crazy mix betweenTwo Towers and RotK), but all three are done by entirely different people. The animation is never the same at all and it is hilarious. I think it was the last movie where whenever an orc was to appear, they just showed some thermal image or msomething of a horde of peopl wearing bearskins. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was hilarious. Also, since the last two were made separate from the Hobbit and Fellowship (separate studios, publishers, whatever) they tie up all the back stories in hilarious ways. If I recall, at one point Sam asks Frodo where he got the vial (he got it from Galdriel, the name escapes me, please don't hurt me...). So, Frodo replies with something to the effect of "If I tell you, its magic will stop working..." :lol: Sam, you have to stop griping about the live action movies and rent the animated versions. If you don't die from the shock of it, I think you will see the Jackson versions in a new light. So, in conclusion, nobody every mention volleyball every again, for a while at least...
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:48 am

Theremin wrote:but ABSOLUTELY nothing happens the same up until Rivendell (after Rivendell remains to be seen :D )

Well, that is a bit of an exagerration. Midgewater Marshes for one. Frodo stabbed two, and so on. Yes, lots of changes, but LotR is far to detailed to translate directly into movie form.

Can anyone imagine an accurate council of Elrond? It would have put most people to sleep pretty quick.

I mean, I would have sat through it if each movie had been 8 hours (wouldn't that be <i>heaven</i>?) but only people that post on this forum would do that ;)

So some stuff had to go. And I don't think he ruined the "spirit" of the work. Simplified, yes. Over simplified, maybe.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:51 am

I definitely don't think he ruined the spirit of it at all. I'm just in a nitpicky mood after all that volleyball. And I've been listening to Sam too much... :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:30 pm

:oops: sorry, i didn't mean to ruin the movies for anybody. I liked the first two. I loved the two towers, messed up as it is, because it still shared Tolkien's messages.

Oh yes, the legendary Bakshi and Rankin & Bass. "Where there's a whip, there's a way!" "You are stading in the eye of the storm! move an inch, and you'll be dead. You are standing underneath the towers of the teeth...." "Fro-O-o-d-D-O-o-O-o oF the N-n-i-I-i-I-n-N-e f-F-i-I-i-n-N-g-G-g-E-e-E-r-R-R-s, and the R-r-I-i-N-n-N-g of D-d-O-o-O-o-O-o-M!" The guy sounds like a sheep! Tone down the vibrato dude! Anyway, yes, I am quite familiar with both verions.

The Bakshi - i have to take it as a parody, or I'd have to pay fines at the movie store for burning their copy... Those people cannot sit still! Gandalf has to dance around the room for the Ring Verse, and then finally they have to go on a walk because they're so hyper, and throw stones and stuff. Then Sam comes in, and he's a big fat ugly bucktoothed idiot (which i take personally! *sniff*), while all the rest of the hobbits are cute, of course. Anyway, the Ringwraiths freaked me out the first time i saw it, at night, when i was a little sixth grader, with someone else who was kind of scared too. Just the way that they limp around - it's awesome. The rest of it is pretty pathetic. Although Jackson does lean heavily on that movie - Bree, for instance. He takes out the good parts and leaves the rest for the trash that it is. As a parody, though, it's hilarious. Eowyn is so unbelievably ugly!! As is Legolas, and all elves. Elrond looks like a Roman senator, Boromir looks like Gimli, and Aragorn is an indian wearing a little tunic that stops way too high above his knees. It's really disturbing.

The Rankin & Bass, while it has its definite flaws, is way better. I must admit I have a rather fond attatchment to it. Frodo is so likeable and simple, but not too young, like Elijah, and you have to love his half-anime eyes. I love Gollum, and Sam, even though he's uglier than everyone else (well, I suppose, Pippin looks like a monkey, so maybe he's not that bad), is at least a better character than Bakshi's. He's like a raving lunatic instead of a big oaf. And the songs are just funny. I love the idea of the orcs jumping out to ambush them, and singing a big long song... Eowyn is much better in this movie than Bakshi's too, and I'd pick their Theoden over Bernard Hill anyday. Gandalf cracks me up too.

See, I think the reason I like Rankin & Bass is because I saw "The Hobbit" when I was really little, and then forgot about it completely, until a few years later. Seeing it a second time was really cool, because the overall creepiness of that movie mixed with the deja vu of my creepy impressions the last time I had seen it was a very very interesting experience. Every time I've watched it since, I still have some recollection of that mystified, creepy impression it left on me. It's so odd. But that's why i like rankin & bass.

I agree that PJ did a much better job though overall. Don't get me wrong. I got some of the spirit, but not enough, and yes, he simplified it. He could have done better.

And the Midgewater marshes are on the extended DVD, not the one theremin's seen, just for the record.

You're getting your license? Exciting! Good luck! and watch out world!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:50 pm

Just got past where they meet Farmer Maggot

you weerent kidding about it bing much heavier reading.... ugh
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:26 pm

The first half goes a lot slower. Once you really get into it, though, it starts to fly. Keep it up! Don't despair! The best is yet to come. :)

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:26 pm

Bnielsen wrote:At 2:30 AM monday morning, I have finished "The Hobbit" now for some sleep...

I'm halfway through Fellowship of the Ring. Boy, that book starts out slooowww....

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:59 pm

It's an especially slow intro if you've just been reading the Silmarillion, in which a hundred years are covered in a chapter. And then FotR, where each day practically takes a chapter at first... But it does get better! I promise!