Attempt!

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:55 pm

If 3d tic tac toe is too easy to win, you could have one of two problems. First, you are playing the blasphemous 3x3x3 3d tic tac toe, or you have an intelligence problem. 3x3x3 3-d tic tac toe sucks becuase the first player can force a win no matter what as long as his first move is in the center. If it isn't in the center, the second player can force a win for hiomself by making his first move in the center. You can easily remedy this by playing 4x4x4, it is the same, only the "cube" is slightly larger. There is no longer a center space that is the only absolute key to victory, and a game can take several minutes to play. YOur other possible problem can manifest itself in two ways; either you are two smart or your opponent is too dumb. A swift blow to the head will solve the first, although the second is harder to fix. :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:57 pm

Just when I stop to worry about you two.....
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Hey, you'll be sorry about ten years down the road when 6-dimensional tic-tac-toe replaces chess. A game of that can take hours!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:10 pm

*strikes the drama queen pose* Fine then. I don't have to put up with this persecuting for my Geeky Nature! We should make a section of the forum where All Geeks can be Geeky in peace. We should entitle it... "Lord Geeks of Hammerdom" and there we will find the magical land where no one makes fun of us for who we are!

...:lol: or not :lol: ;) especially since I make fun of myself, if no one else does!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:20 pm

Amen. :mrgreen:

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:22 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:but wouldn't you want to go by the author's own words in understanding the big ideas behind his work?

Nah. :wink:

Well, having studied language and literature for...however many years it was (heh... :oops: ) I have to bank on not always listening to the author. Hmm, that's not really what I want to say...

Communication, writing included, consists of 3 parts. Originator (JRRT), Message (Sil.) and Reciever (Me!). All three are important. I actually would add another: Influences. So yes, knowing JRRT and the work are important, but no one can take them outside of their own experience. If I could, what good would it do? I mean, OK, Sil is a good read, but if all I am is entertained then I wasted my time. JRRT didn't write his books to entertain. He wrote them to, among other things, express something about the world.

If I cannot interpret his work, use it to grow, and integrate it into my, uh, conciousness (couldn't find a good word there), then I have really missed the White Ship (or boat).

That is why I have started the topics and Legolas and Gimli, Free Will and the Ring, and Morality in ME. So now, Sam, you are going to ask: Wouldn't reading Fairy Stories help? Maybe, I don't know. Right now my JRRT Life Integrator, version 3.0 (available for download soon) is on overload. I'm still working on the morality issue. And the freewill issue. And other things. Once I deal with that, then I'll have more discipline to get through Fairy Stories.

To prove I'm not being an elitist smarty pants:
Feanor's Hair: Black (we've already been there)
Tallest: Thingol
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Yikes, that was the main section where I got my variable variables, functional variables, and constant variables all confused. But have you ever tried math in four dimensions? I'm not kidding - I saw God. It was beautiful!

Crap, I don't know what you're talking about. When I was in HS (you young punks!) I never heard any of these terms.

But I am proud to say (sort of) that I can still solve multiple variable equations without much effort. Flo got me this Mensa quiz card pack thing for Christmas and I do a few a day. Guess what! Today, there were 44 penguins! HA! How about THAT!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:06 pm

idoron wrote:Tallest: Thingol

Tallest: Ents.

Our physics book likes to use penguins in its problem: penguins on a string being pulled across the ice by a "playful curator" (more like torturerer!), "slide-loving" penguins accelerating down a frictionless plane at an angle of 45?...

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:54 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:
idoron wrote:Tallest: Thingol

Tallest: Ents.

Original "trivia" said "tallest of Children of Illuvatar." Ents aren't.

Sam Gamgee wrote:penguins on a string being pulled across the ice by a "playful curator"..."slide-loving" penguins accelerating down a frictionless plane at an angle of 45?...

Why penguins? I guess they're just so cute. But I can just hear the "when am I ever going to use this in real life" questions. Unless you're a playful penguin curator with a penchant for pulling pitiful penguins across a frozen pond...

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Another semi-related bit of trivia -- there's a great prog band in Baltimore named Iluvatar. I think GH should tour with them :D

April

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:46 pm

idoron wrote: But I can just hear the "when am I ever going to use this in real life" questions. Unless you're a playful penguin curator with a penchant for pulling pitiful penguins across a frozen pond...

Well, actually.... :twisted:

As for ents - i knew you'd say that. ;) just trying to confuse you. And launch into another in depth discussion of the difference between "child" and creature of illuvatar, even though both are rational beings... Hm... (Maybe we'd better save this while we wait to finish our other 50 or so... ;))

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:59 pm

Sil text says that Children are Elves and Men. I think because they are the only ones directly created by Eru. The others are created by the Valar.