Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:17 pm

Humor of understatement.

Found in the Encyclopedia of Arda:

<blockquote>
With the possible exception of Tom Bombadil's identity (and - of course - the wingedness or otherwise of Balrogs), there is no more hotly debated topic than the ultimate fate of Glorfindel. Were Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell the same person?
</blockquote>
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:31 pm

I saw a direct Tolkien quote answering the question on a webiste three years ago. :( I only wish I could find it again, but i *think* it was at thegreyhaves.net, and that's now gone...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:45 pm

Which question? Glorfindel or Tom B?

The Glorfindel situtation was a name oversight. In his notes in HoME V12, JRRT indicates that he meant to bring the two together and make it the case that G. returned to ME from the Halls of Mandos. But obviously, this did not make it to publication (and IMHO Canon) before JRRT died. There are lots of things in the notes that Tolkien changed, intended to change, etc. But many conflict directly or are inconsistent with published writings, so notes I take as "nice reading" and where don't conflict, take as "semi-canon."

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:1. Yup. He got reincarnated. Tolkien said that elves can sometimes kind of get reincarnated through their descendents. I think there was something special that happened in Glorfindel's case, kind of like Cirdan was a little odd for having a beard, but it did happen.

See post above.

Sam Gamgee wrote:2. Confused. You mean another quote from the meeting with Galdor? or the Council? Or what, exactly?

I was thinking about the Sons of Feanor.

Sam Gamgee wrote:No fair looking it up! I know exactly where Sam and Merry fall, but not quite where Boromir falls (I think he's in between the hobbits, but that's just a guess.) or where Gimli falls, exaclty (though I could give a time range. Just make your list and then post it after Brian tries, and I'll do the same.

What? I'm a cheater? This is hint dropping if I've even seen it!

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:30 pm

I'm done with the trilogy! I finished "King" today. :)
Jules a.k.a. She-Elf
[url]http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/hess2323[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:53 pm

Yay Jules! I knew you'd finish first. :D Do I get money now or something? ;) What'd you think?

idoron - I was talking about Glorfindel... Oh, never mind. Some things aren't meant to be answered. What does Galdor have to do with the Sons of Feänor? And I was just urging you not to look it, but to wait until Brian guesses, then make your guess. ;)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:52 am

::eyes swim apon the page:: Sam, you have GOT to be kidding

i wanted you to make a quiz so that I could prive I read it- NOT so that I would have to re-read it again! lol -sigh-

::gives up and dumps the pile of corn-cobs over his lifeless form::

:banghead:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:04 pm

I'm sorry... :oops: I told you I'm no good at these. Theremin, fair game for you. Except idoron gets to work on the age question now.

...You don't even know who Glorfindel? The rest can be nasty, yes. I admit. But... Glorfindel! That's a sure proof you've read the books and not just seen the movies. He's not that big of a character, but he's really important to Tolkien purists!

Uh, anyone wanna help me think of easier questions?

If you're insulted, I'm really sorry. It's been a long time since I've only read the book once.
1. Name all members of the company in 30 seconds.
2. (You did this fine before - do you still remember?) Name the 15 people who set out from Bag End in the Hobbit.
3. Name at least 3 names for the person crowned in this book. 4 would be nice, but i think that one only has an appendix reference.
4. Did Gandalf die? Just give it your best shot. I mean by this a yes or no answer. Just to erase any loopholes, "death" = "the separating of the soul and the body to the point where the body has no life in it, etc etc." It isn't a trick question.
5. Who are the two leaders of the Uruk-hai that take Merry and Pippin?
6. Who was King of Rohan before Theoden? (this might be a little tricky, but they're always saying Theoden son of ____"
7. Can you make a guess as to who now carries the elvish rings? (maybe you can't, but try?)
8. What's the name of the River Daughter... her smile bright and gleaming... (starts to sing a GH song that totally gives away the anwer within the next two words)
9. What was Galadriel's gift to Sam?
10. Where was Sauron's fortress after Mordor fell the first time? (tough one, I know)
11. You've gotta know Glorfindel. Huge Hint: he's in the fellowship, first appears before the council.

Are those any easier?

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:15 pm

Some answers to the revised (not insanely difficulat) quiz

1. Do you mean the fellowship? If so then, Frodo, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Sam, Pippen, Merry, Aragorn, Boromir (23 seconds :lol: )
2. Gandalf, Bilbo, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin Oakenshield, Gloin, Oin, Nori, Dori, Ori, Balin, Dwalin, Kili, Fili (I admit it, I forgot about Ori, I had to look it up :banghead: )
3. Dunadan, Strider, Aragorn
4. I havn't gotten that far in TTT yet, so I'm relying on my memory from years ago, but I think that he didn't actually die, didn't he climb a gigantic staircase back up?
6. Thengel
7. I think that Galadriel, Elrond, and Gandalf had them. I think Elrond got his from Gil-galad, but I can't remember how Gandalf got his.
8. Goldberry
9. Magic soil
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:06 pm

Well, I waws actully intending you to do quiz 1 and brian to try quiz 2, but i wasn't explaining myself very well. But that's ok!!

3. Yes, technically, the Dunadan is one of his names, but I was looking for a title specific to him. There are lots of Dunedain. But if you haven't gotten too far into TTT, you wouldn't have heard it yet, so never mind. Come to think of it, it doesn't come up til ROtk... Whoops. Soory, bad question. I was looking for Elessar or (more trisky) Estel, which he was called when growing up at Rivendell.

4. The fall didn't kill him. But after he chased the Balrog up the stairs, and killed it, then he died. So many people think he was just kind of "upgraded" - but no, he actually physically DIED.

7. Correct. Gandalf got his from Cirdan. The Grey Havens was another area like Rivendell and Lorien long ago, but Cirdan the shipwright gave his ring to Gandalf.

Good job! Bravo! :D Brian only gets the rest that are left unanswered. It's his own falt for not showing up for a day ro two. I give up on this quiz making business. It's too hard. :p

But I kind of am wondering... Can Idoron Appendix-Reader name all of Samwise Gamgee's children without looking it up? :twisted: ;)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:04 pm

LOL! SAM! email a quiz to me first, then I'll post it up after i asnwer it- then i have a CHANCE to do it beofre anyone else does lol
Brian Nielsen

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:46 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote: Theremin, fair game for you.

Sorry...
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:30 pm

Don't worry about it Theremin. You snooze, you loose. All quizzes are henceforth fair game for whoever wants them from this day forward!!! ;) Unless otherwise *clearly* stated. (my bad)

Brian, I'm giving up on quizzes. Except for this ONE question that BRIAN and ONLY BRIAN most answer: WHO IS GLORFINDEL? In FOTR? (you can answer about the Sil too, but i don't think you have any clue about that so never mind him.)

That's your quiz. You fail it, you've utterly brainwashed by Jackson's malicious lies. (for the record, it's a joke - i like pj. he's awesome. but i just liked the dramatic effect. You know? kinda gives it that extra kick.)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:19 am

Ha-HA! But of course my dear Samwise, I truly CAN answer this one without even needing to refer to the book!

Glorfindel is a famous head Elf type elf that helped the hobbits reach rivendell and get away from the nazgul (sorta messed THAT up in the movies, eh?)
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:40 am

Bnielsen wrote:Ha-HA! But of course my dear Samwise, I truly CAN answer this one without even needing to refer to the book!

Glorfindel is a famous head Elf type elf that helped the hobbits reach rivendell and get away from the nazgul (sorta messed THAT up in the movies, eh?)

Good :) Name another blood relative of Arwen's - other than her brothers or Elrond.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart