No Blame for Boromir? (Or Smeagol, Isildur, etc.)

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:00 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:I thought the Mercy was referring to Frodo's.

What would the act of mercy be?

Sam Gamgee wrote:Ok, I don't think the Ring had complete posession of him every step. Quite honestly - you know that one scene were he can't walk anymore so he starts to crawl? - I don't think it was the Ring driving him to do that. He couldn't surrender it, but he didn't put it on and claim it until the very end...

That is kind of the point I was trying to make. His "failure" was "decided" long before he reached Orodruin, because the Ring was/would/had take(n) hold of him. But the Ring, first and foremost, wanted to be in control of Frodo. The fact he was taking it to Mordor is kind of a "bonus" for the Ring. That is were it needed to get anyway, so the will of the Ring was bent on domination of Frodo. It is not until he gets to Orodruin and perhaps the Ring realizes it is not going to Sauron in the Tower that it starts trying to hinder him (becoming so heavy, and Frodo so weak he can't walk).

Interesting point, possibly supporting some of my earlier arguments:
The Ring seems to have little or no interest in/power over Faramir. "I wouldn't pick it up by the wayside." Perhaps because it is occupied with Frodo.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:26 pm

The mercy he showed toward Gollum.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]