Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Currently reading...

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:57 am

What's everyone reading right now? (Besides this post)
I'm reading Lord Dunsany's "The Elf-King's Daughter", and Edding's "Wurm Oroborous". My but we're all very well-read!
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a long list...

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:25 pm

Right now I'm reading "Return of the King". I'm really excited about the next book on my list, though - The Lays of Beleriand - Long epic poems about the Silmarillion?!?! How cool can you get?! I love epic poems about great heroes - the only problem is that not all epic-poets know what a true hero is... Homer's ok I suppose (Achilles is really dumb, but Odysseus isn't too bad), but the guy who wrote Beowulf? I love Beowulf, but he is such a jerk! He's so arrogant and stuck up and stupid, which although the vikings thought it was good character, kind of mars his heroic image for me. But Tolkien really understands a good hero, so I'm excited. He quotes this one passage from The Lay of Lethian in The Silmarillion about the battle between Finrod Felagund and Sauron, and it is soooo cool.

The only problem is that I have to actually get around to reading RotK. I'm not used to having any time to read, so it's kind of hard to remember that reading is an option for my free time.

Also I am working hard on that website... It should be ready soon now...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:19 am

Sam,
Tolkien's Beowulf has been found! Check out the link.

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1041182146

Steve [img]:D[/img]
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

COOL!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:37 am

Go Wiglaf! Go Beowulf! I want my copy of Tolkien Beowulf now!

So what are your books about?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Dunsany and Eddings

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:36 am

Lord Dunsany's "Elf King's Daughter" is high prose from 1924 that actually influenced Tolkien and Lewis. A couple of heroes, half-elves, and elven princess, unicorns, gnome-like trolls, etc. It is an absolutely beautiful work of fantasy that I've had laying around for 10 years.
Eddings was a big influence on Lewis, and was the only thing around to compare LOTR's to when it was first released. Also written in the 20's. It is a very early heroic fantasy quest, written in language that could be compared to Shakespeare. There are huge flaws with the story, but the prose and the scope of the quest more than make up for it.
Happy new year! :D

Elrabin

Post by Elrabin » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:07 pm

Well, if you're really curious, I'm currently reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's a weird novel; 80% of it is a history of philosophy from the Greeks up to now, and the other 20% is the fictional novel part that ties everything together. Very... educational.

Always wanted my own copy of Beowulf. I'll pick up Tolkien's when it comes out, sure, but to hold me over, I'll probably find Seamus Heaney's translation and buy that.
hu ic earmcearig iscealdne sæ
winter wunade wræccan lastum

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:03 am

Sophie's world sounds like heady stuff! Let us know how it turns out. I'm moving on from Dunsany to Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell. It's a 'quest for the Grail' series that began with the Archer's Tale.
Outside of Tolkien - does anyone have a favorite heroic fantasy author? Anyone ever read David Gemmel?
steve :)

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:58 pm

I purchased Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code" last week, upon a friend's recommendation. She has found it so engrossing that she's knocked off a hundred pages a day, in the midst of handling two jobs and two kids.

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:33 pm

I've heard both that it's a piece of ill-written junk and that it's a very interesting and intruiging book, but just be forewarned (if you haven't figured it out already) that even though the authr claims he's dealing with only "facts", the truth behind the story is basically non-existent.

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:10 pm

Currently Reading:

JRRT <i>On Fairy Stories</i>

various parts of LotR and Sil.

Have started and not gotten back to:

The Future of Ideas, Lawrence Lessign
The Story of Philosophy, Will Durant
Walking the Bible, Bruce Feiler
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:32 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:I've heard both that it's a piece of ill-written junk and that it's a very interesting and intruiging book, but just be forewarned (if you haven't figured it out already) that even though the authr claims he's dealing with only "facts", the truth behind the story is basically non-existent.
Jesus did not have children-unless you count all of us too.
Revisionists! lol
Steve

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:33 pm

idoron wrote:Currently Reading:

JRRT <i>On Fairy Stories</i>

various parts of LotR and Sil.

Have started and not gotten back to:

The Future of Ideas, Lawrence Lessign
The Story of Philosophy, Will Durant
Walking the Bible, Bruce Feiler
Can't wait to hear what you think of Fairy Stories. You'll have to share. Also, you would really appreciate The Worm Oroborus - which I'll loan you if you like. Check out some reviews of it. It is BIG in scope like the Silmarilion.
Steve

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:43 pm

Currently reading the Silmarillion, but I just got done with "Portrait of a Lady" which I hated, and a while back I read "King Lear". That was one crazy dude!
That made me think about the fact that I haven't seen anyone mention Shakespeare...any readers? Josh and I both enjoy plays by good ole' Bill.
One of my favorites is "Much Ado About Nothing".

I've been reading a lot of books on raising kids (*surprise *suprise). I just got done reading a book called "Toilet Trained for Yale"..which is a humorous, yet thought provoking read on how we are obsessed with trying to make our kids smarter (starting fromt the womb) with fancy preschools and learning tools, etc. instead of just letting them play..and "playtime" is actually the biggest factor in brain development.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:10 pm

Still working on Fairy Stories.

Started this weekend and am having time getting back to it.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:05 pm

I just got done with "Till We Have Faces" by CS Lewis. I only have two chapters left in RotK.
Jules a.k.a. She-Elf
[url]http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/hess2323[/url]