Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:36 am

I am currently reading two books.

The first is a non-fiction book called S*pam Kings. It is obviously about bulk emailers, and the people who oppose them. It is told as a narrative, and is quite enjoyable reading. The author has a good eye for what makes a great story. One of the people he focuses on is a former White Supremacist leader who turned into a spammer (how's that for evil). This tale has a Faustian arc, with the spammer being a gifted man, showing huge potential (he was a gifted student and chess player), but whose character flaws led him down a path which in the short term seemed rewarding, but ended in personal disaster. (Incidentally, a certain book by Vladimir Nabakov also has the same plot arc)

The second book I'm reading you may have heard of. It's called The Davinci Code. I can see why people really like this book. It is a deft combination of conspiracy theory and detective thriller. Both genres are linked by the clue finding plot device, and Dan Brown solicits art symbolism to tie these together. It requires a certain suspension of disbelief (there is a James Bond level of realism) and some of the assertions made are untrue, but it is kind of cool to look up copies of the paintings he talks about, and see the clues to The Holy Grail (although some of the Paul is Dead Beatles theories hold up better to close examination). My favourite quote about this book is by Catholic Cardinal George Pell: "Of course the book is doing well, it mixes conspiracy theories and anti-Catholicism, both of which are very popular at the moment."
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 am

A friend recommended the author J. D. Robb to me a few months back, so I picked up her book "Imitation in Death" from the library two weeks back. So far it's your basic meat'n'potatoes murder mystery, the only twist being that it takes place fifty years in the future. So at least we haven't nuked ourselves to death or been taken over by the Islamofascists.

The list of books authored by Robb, in the front pages of this book, is sixteen titles long and all of 'em have the word "death" in the title. Morbid, eh?
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:41 am

I´m currently reading Inside Out from Nick Mason. I really love this book it gives a hole new view of Pink Floyd. But I´m allways been a great fan of Pink Floyd too.
The world is smaller than you think!

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:38 am

I'm reading one of my Christmas presents, Modern Engineering for the Design of Liquid-Propellant Rocket Engines (Huzel and Huang). It's great to read stuff like that and be able to just turn the page when the integral signs get a little too intrusive.

I don't suppose the title has a big impact in the popular market, though. :D

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:45 pm

bb wrote:I'm reading one of my Christmas presents, Modern Engineering for the Design of Liquid-Propellant Rocket Engines (Huzel and Huang). It's great to read stuff like that and be able to just turn the page when the integral signs get a little too intrusive.

I don't suppose the title has a big impact in the popular market, though. :D
Sounds like it would give me a case of MEGO (My Eyes Glaze Over). :lol: I've begun making regular visits to the local library branch; last week I checked out a coupla cheapo Star Trek novels.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:32 pm

I would highly recommend to anyone, no matter what your beilefs on life-after-death to check out Howard Storm's "My Descent Into Death". A wonderful personal account of a clinical death / afterlife experience.

Mike
http://www.massdream.com

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:25 pm

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158234 ... e&n=283155

The most fun I've had reading a book in a long time. Part Tolkien, part MacDonald, part Jane Austen. Its a fantasy set in the Napoleonic wars, so you know I'm loving it!

It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:08 pm

Just ta' let you know...
J.D. Robb is Nora Roberts posing as a mystery writer. :o
Who do you think I'll be without you?

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:14 pm

My wife has been reading Jonathan Strange this month and has had nothing but good things to say about it. I'll have to give it a go.

I'm finishing up A Song of Ice and Fire, book 4, A Feast for Crows, by George RR Martin. I'm trying to take it slow because the dude takes a long time between books! It's a fantasy series, but somewhat light on the magic and dragons (though I think dragons will be making a comeback) and more focused on politics and the warring between the various houses to control the Iron Throne. Martin is an excellent writer and the narrative really flows.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 am

I have just made my way through the three trilogies of books by Robin Hobb. Very readable, although the third trilogy isn't quite as good as the first two.

The Liveship Traders series in particular had some very cute ideas. Anybody else read these?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:33 pm

I've fallen way behind on my book reading. I'm moving shortly, but still have not packed up the books I haven't read, so its a poor excuse. I did start and stop reading Michelle Malkin's "Liberals Gone Wild" (LOVE THAT TITLE), which hopefully I'll start up again this weekend. From the chapter I did get through, it's a very fun read for right wingers like myself. I never did get Mark Levin's "Men In Black". I also have that mamouth book 5 of the Harry Potter series, but that will wait till I get to the new house next month.

Someone mentioned Star Trek novels. I was really into them in college, but stopped by the late 90's. I have a few I bought but never got around to. I guess I should start again since there is no new TV series yet.
And now for something completly different...

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Alatar wrote:I have just made my way through the three trilogies of books by Robin Hobb. Very readable, although the third trilogy isn't quite as good as the first two.

The Liveship Traders series in particular had some very cute ideas. Anybody else read these?
I read the Farseer trilogy and enjoyed it very much. I'll check out the Liveship Traders.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:31 pm

I am 1/2-way through the 2nd chapter of "Fellowship of the Ring" for the umteenth time......
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:39 pm

Its been a while I posted here...but its also been a while I read some books. :lol:

Lately I started on the Sci-Fi genre..

I have read Starship Troopers and am waiting for H2G2 (The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) at the local Library.

Planning to read some Asimov later.
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 pm

HROLF KRAKI SAGA
Poul Anderson
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06716 ... e&n=283155

The Danes ROCK! (or once rocked)
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart