Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Checked out from the library a coupla days ago, to read on the plane...

Clive Cussler's "Polar Drift" and a Babylon 5 novel, "To Dream In The City Of Sorrows." I liked the TV series; we'll see if the books hold up to that legacy.

Oh yeah, I'm flying out to Las Vegas tomorrow. Yay!
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:51 pm

Working my way through the Last Mythal Trilogy - best of Forgotten Realms I've read so far. Maybe because it has to do with elves. Who needs dwarves or anything else if you have elves?

Also, when I have the time and concentration, I'm reading a couple other theology books at a time, and liking them a lot, some more Aquinas, von Balthsar, and Sheen. Very excellent.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:16 am

Finally got around to Guy Gavriel Kay's "Lions of Al-Rassan". I'm a big fan of Kay, although sometimes he's like methyl mercury, a wee bit goes a long way.... :) Recommended. (Although Kay novices might find A Song for Arbonne a bit more accessible IMHO.)

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Just finished The Road, new Cormac McCarthy. Maybe his best novel. Incredible.

Now onto Voices by Ursula K. Le Guin, a sequel of sorts to last year's Gifts, which I loved.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

caskof43

Post by caskof43 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:09 pm

Just started C.S. Lewis ~ Out of the Silent Planet
"The first qualification for judging
any piece of workmanship from a
corkscrew to a cathedral is to
know *what* it is - what it was intended
to do and how it was meant to be used."
-C.S. Lewis

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Joe-× » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Finished Bernard Cornwell's excellent Warlord Chronicles a couple of days ago. Just starting on Louis De Wohl's The Spear. It's a book about the Roman soldier whose spear flew straight to the side of the King of the Universe.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:44 am

Joe-× wrote:Finished Bernard Cornwell's excellent Warlord Chronicles a couple of days ago. Just starting on Louis De Wohl's The Spear. It's a book about the Roman soldier whose spear flew straight to the side of the King of the Universe.
You'll have to let me know about The Spear! I think the Warlord series is my favorite Cornwell of all, even over the Sharpe books.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Finished the Farseer-trilogy by Robin Hobb.
continuing on her living-ships trilogy.
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Reading the entire Dune series.

ALready read book 1 a bunch of times, now reading book 2, Dune: Messiah
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Been reading myself to sleep the last few days with the novelization of the "Fantastic 4" movie.

Some forum members are into heavy literature, and then I come along and tell that I checked out a cheap paperback from the library. In literary terms, does that make me pop and make y'all prog?

I don't know anyone who indulges the creative muse by writing, but I s'pose that if I asked them what the publishing world is like, I might be left with the feeling that it's much the same as the music world--the stuff that's easily digestible gets most of the promotional push from publishers, and the arty stuff is relegated to small independent bookstores which are staffed by people who genuinely care about the craft, as opposed to someone who's manning the checkout counter at Borders because he wasn't judged good enough to work at McDonald's (takes deep breath :lol: ).

Thoughts?
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 pm

John, you're a dork, but I love ya man =p

Hey, you coming to either NEARFest or ROSFest this coming year?

I could save you some serious money if ya wanted to work at NF selling merch, or hotel costs if you wanted a place to stay at my apt.
Brian Nielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:12 am

OK, so I finished Dune Messiah, and am kinda confused....

Frank Herbert sometimes writes so much of inner monologes thats it is difficult to discern all the elements that are coming together for the next part of the story.

Also, he has an annoying habit of building up these great conflicts, such as the Hayt/Duncan character's plot to kill him, but in the actual moment of truth, it was kinda anti-climactic for me.

Also, theres too much unexplained between the first and second books- the Jihaad, the birth of his empire, Alia growing up, ect...
Brian Nielsen

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Bnielsen wrote:OK, so I finished Dune Messiah, and am kinda confused....
That's why I gave up on Herbert. Some wonderfully cool ideas, but he has this seriously annoying habit of making the characters interpret events in some context that you aren't privy to.

Character A: Hi.
Character B: Looks like rain.
Character A: Omigod! The universe is forking!

Gah.

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Joe-× » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:24 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:You'll have to let me know about The Spear!
The book is pretty good. The plot is smattered with enough of the familiar and the original to keep it interesting. The story flows well, and the characters are interesting and seem real. The dialogue is a bit stilted as you might expect from a lot of the safe fiction of the time period (1950's). It's got a little Dick and Jane flow to it. Not quite as edgy or as conversationally breezy as modern readers would like, nor with the natural depth that fans of classic literature might prefer.

Here's a sample:

http://www.love2learn.net/history/samples/spear.htm

Joe

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Eragon

Post by Joe-× » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:26 pm

I had thought that my kids read this. They'd both ordered it from their school book club in recent years. Both had started to read it but quit. They said that they didn't like the character and place names. Admittedly, much of my own problems with lots of fantasy literature is the same thing.

I'd heard some talk that there is a movie version of this book coming out soon (December 15th), so I decided to read the book. The kids have seen the previews and want to see it even though they didn't like the book. I couldn't find the book in either of the kids' rooms, so I had to get the new mass-market printing with the movie photos. I've now bought this book three times.

It's a lazy saturday afternoon read. Light and flows fast. The plot is a hackneyed rehash of bits and pieces of other stories. I'm waiting for the youtube mashups featuring the scenery/action from Eragon and the dialogue from Star Wars or LoTR. It should be quite amusing.

The problems with the book are too basic. The author presents a problem for the title character; it gets resolved; next problem surfaces; continue this cycle for 700-some pages. Everything is too predictable and the "important" stuff may as well be in BIG RED CAPITAL LETTERS.

Eragon will find his precious. Uncle Garowen will be killed and the blast marks will be too precise to be anything but stormtroopers. The crazy old ranger is a jedi master who finds out that Eragon's midichlorians are off the chart. Alderaan will be destroyed and the guys will go to Bree to find the receipt of mystery. Angela will look into the palantir after Eragon talks to Mr. Tumnus. Obi-Brom will die fighting the Balrog and be encased in carbonite. The hobbits will be taken to Gilead by manflesh loving Urgals. Arya's resistance to the mind probe is considerable. Eragon, Eravis, Breepheria, and Hwin will cross the desert to Archenland. The magic words won't open the dwarf doors. Helms Deep will be breeched by Urgals. Darth Shade will be cut in half. Eragon will have a vision telling him to go see Yoda.

The rest of the series is probably as predictable. Murtagh is clearly Eragon's brother and a bad guy who will be turned to good by throwing the Emperor down the reactor shaft when he is zapping Eragon with lightning. The superduper sword inside Old Man Willow will save the day in the last book. Eragon will use the Ark of the Covenant in the well of souls to bring someone (duh, Arya) back to life with superduper magic that would kill anyone else. Eragon will discover that he is an immortal of the clan Macleod. The ring of power will be destroyed when Eragon launches his photon torpedoes down the exhaust shaft and Sauron will fall. Eragon and the dragons will sail away to Avalon. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Save this one for the kiddies.

Joe