Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:56 am

idoron wrote:No, Foundation is on my list.

Instead of Stranger in a Strange land I picked up Neuromancer (Gibson) and am reading it now.

Stranger will be next I guess.
I got bogged down in Stranger. I finished it, but I can't say I enjoyed it.
Good luck though :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:27 am

My understanding is that there we two versions published. The first version was severely cut. The second was the "directors cut" and was something like twice the length of the original. Which did you read?
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:23 pm

I just started Eragon (that one book started by a 15 year old, finished 4 years later), at the demands of a seventh grade groupie of mine. (yes, i have groupies. Lots of them, especially in seventh grade. They are to become my lackeys when I take over the world! MUahaha!)

It's really good so far - the imagery is awesome. But I can tell it's not written by an experienced professional - he doesn't know how to vary his sentence structure very well. Tisk tisk. Learning the dull subtleties of grammar is crucial in the art of writing! But other than that, it is rather amazing, considering.

He's such a Tolkien-wannabe though... and he's not quite cool enough to pull it all off.
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:14 pm

:idea: I will NEVER be Sam's lackey! :idea:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:25 am

Well, you say that now...:twisted:

Actually, come to think of it, Eragon is the first non-Tolkien literature book (as opposed to background research reading) that I've read outside of school in probably over a year or two. Wow. That's probably not even healthy. Oh well! :cackle: Ha!

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:21 am

You scare me... :roll:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:03 am

I saw the author on David Letterman, and saw the book in B&N (Bucks and Noma). I was thinking about reading it (eventually) but after that review, maybe not.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:54 am

Just finished it last night. *shrug* It wasn't that great. Some parts were cool, but it got really long and kind of boring. And now there's a whole second book, and who knows what beyond... It didn't strike me as particularly original. Of course, I'm used to reading The High King of Literature, so...

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:38 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Just finished it last night. *shrug* It wasn't that great. Some parts were cool, but it got really long and kind of boring. And now there's a whole second book, and who knows what beyond... It didn't strike me as particularly original. Of course, I'm used to reading The High King of Literature, so...
Okay - what shall I read next?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:52 pm

Have you read Lays of Beleriand yet? Early Silmarillion fragments in epic poem form - beautiful!
Or you could read the Letters of JRRT - it's kind of boring at first, but it soon gets into really good stuff once you get past the first 50 pages or so.

Non Tolkien... uh... uh... What's that again? ;)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:28 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Have you read Lays of Beleriand yet? Early Silmarillion fragments in epic poem form - beautiful!
Or you could read the Letters of JRRT - it's kind of boring at first, but it soon gets into really good stuff once you get past the first 50 pages or so.

Non Tolkien... uh... uh... What's that again? ;)
That's not a bad idea. I'll hunt for the lays :)
Steve

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:05 am

After a really boring past few months of political theory in school, we have now started The Brothers Kazamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I'm only 175 pages into it, and it's 729 long, so I've hardly started, but I've heard all aobut how awesome and psychological it is. And if it's anything like Crime and Punishment, it should soon reach (and even become top!) my list of Favorite Other Than Tolkien books. Do I even have a list like that? I actually don't think so. Well, I'll have to make one, and the Brothers K will be on it. Anyone else read it? (Don't spoil anything!)

Oh, and on the side, I bought a cheap (and really ugly looking) copy of the Rainbow Fairy Book, a collection of stories from all the other color fairy books by Andrew Lang. In case you're not familiar with him, Tolkien talks a lot about him in "Tree and Leaf" (essay on fairy stories). in a positive way. Anyway, some of these stories are really really frivilous tales of princes going on pointless missions involving massive amounts of things happening three (and occasionally seven) times. Some of them, though, are rather amusing and really interesting to hear in contrast to the common stories of cindarella and rapunzel and all that.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:53 am

I'm reading the latest David Gemmell book, though I never checked the title and its not close. But its good. Sam - ever try Worm Oroborus yet? For scope and language you can't beat it.
Steve

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:10 pm

no, I haven't. I'll have to put that on my To Read list after the fifth reading of The Hobbit and before a third reading of the Silmarillion. :lol:

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sat May 29, 2004 11:02 am

I'm starting the Oddessy. I have been trying to start for 2 days now because i thought I would read the introduction. But it turns out that the author just goes on and on and never makes any points relevant to a first time reader.

So next sitting I will start the actual poem.