Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat May 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Introductions are nearly always a waste of time. The Odyssey is a good book. :)

But Brothers Karamazov is like a 729 page short story - and that's one of the worst insults I could give! Seriously, though, I was really disspointed because I didn't understand the point at the end - Dostoyevsky kept bringing up all these themes and he didn't really draw them together. I was left lost. Apparently, this is somewhat the same as Flannery O'Connor's writing style (wchich i utterly depise), the way many things are left open for interpretation or left for the reader to think about. That bothers me. I want the author's solid view of truth or beauty, and then I can fuse it with my own view in certain ways. If the author doesn't even tell me what they think is true, how am I supposed to take the book? You know?

Ok, so Brothers K is still a good book, but it bothers me as an epic minded person. If you like short stories and epics you would probably love it.

You know what is a reallt good book, though? Dante's Inferno. Wow. Beautiful book. Sad, terrifying, but incredibly beautiful. It's up there with Beowulf on my list. Maybe... maybe even... yes! It's higher than Beowulf. Wow. Not higher than the lays though.
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat May 29, 2004 7:39 pm

Beowulf is some good stuff.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:47 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:I want the author's solid view of truth or beauty, and then I can fuse it with my own view in certain ways. If the author doesn't even tell me what they think is true, how am I supposed to take the book? You know?
You really are a Plato disciple, aren't you? :)

The world is a big, strange place. Sometimes one can only ask the questions. Sometimes there aren't answers we can really understand. And in that case, as many others, asking the questions is the first, or only, or best thing we can do.

In that case, you take the book as, well, the question. IF that is all there is, at least you're getting asked.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:00 am

No, Plato doesn't really believe much in literature, except as political propaganda... (He's also the dude who wanted to get rid of most of the Greek modes because they sounded too lazy - he only left two that he thought would make people industrious. So he'd ban GH from his republic. Along with all the wonderful pastries and doughnuts. :( I'd hate to live in it...) But you are right that I have a very philosophical view of literature. Not quite as bad as Plato, who was ALL about things having a function and all that, but I suppose I am somewhat similar. i have a rather philosophical view of everything, come to think of it. i want there to be meaning and depth. I don't really like poetry (excpet for epic poems, which rock) because i don't see the point - it's kinda cool and everything, but i don't get it enough. I hate most short stories because I finish them and think, "So?" "Who cares?" "I don't get it." or "That was a waste of effort." I don't really like most modern art because I don't get it - weird colors and shapes trying to appeal to something in my subconscious is NOT good enough for me. But setting up for a grand conclusion with heroes and struggles and themes and questions, and then kind of stopping suddenly - that drives me crazy. Or if there are no heroes and there is no truth shining through - if the author only wants to ask a question with no foretaste of resolution - I hate those kinds of stories.

I like stories where the author presents some kind of hero or appeals to some higher standard - I don't care how dark the struggles or how close to despair anyone comes, just as long as there is a hero. Or an appeal to a higher standard. I may not necessarily agree with it completely (Beowulf is a jerk, what he stands for is his own glory - that's pretty stupid) but if there are enough elements of truth in it I will find it beautiful. Anyway, that's the type of literature i prefer. Of course, come to think of it, I have read very very few books in the past few years that were not written by Tolkien, so I'm not exactly the literature expert...

How about you?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:29 pm

anyone want to donate/lend me a copy of the Sil? im still broke, and i really want to read it.... PM me...
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:55 pm

You could always go to the library...

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:23 am

Bnielsen wrote:anyone want to donate/lend me a copy of the Sil? im still broke, and i really want to read it.... PM me...
You might find it at a used book store in paperback. I bought Fred one like that about a year ago and it only cost a couple of bucks. I'd send you mine but is a 1st edition!!!!! I was actually on the waiting list when that book was published in the late 70's.
I'll keep my eye out for a paper back.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Working through the thriller "The Bourne Identity" at this time, two chapters at a time before I turn out the light for the night. I saw the first half of the movie of the same name, last year.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:54 pm

The CharWoman's Shadow - Lord Dunsany
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:48 am

i just finished Mists of Avalon, anyone have any suggestions for an almost strictly fantasy reader who has already read LotR?
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:27 am

The Silmarillion. The best work ever created by mortal man, and I'm not kidding or exaggerating. It's AweSOME! And there are various people here who agree with me (I think). It's way better than LotR, even.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:28 pm

Sam does NOT fool around when she has an opinon. I'm still waiting to get my hands on a coply of the sil.
Brian Nielsen

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:06 pm

Brian,
I am going to look around for another used copy of the Sil. I got mine used and you can borrow it, I will bring it to NEARfest, hope I am done reading it by then. If I find another copy then you can have one copy.
That is if you dont get hooked up with one before NF.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:21 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:The Silmarillion. The best work ever created by mortal man, and I'm not kidding or exaggerating. It's AweSOME! And there are various people here who agree with me (I think). It's way better than LotR, even.
I agree. I think it is safe to say that I have read every book ever written, therefore I am qualified to put forth my opinion. Some folks have a tough time with it. I did the first time. But at last I actually read the thing and it truly is the best peice of epic / heroic fantasy ever written.
Steve

:cat:

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:51 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:The Silmarillion. The best work ever created by mortal man, and I'm not kidding or exaggerating. It's AweSOME! And there are various people here who agree with me (I think). It's way better than LotR, even.
I agree. I think it is safe to say that I have read every book ever written, therefore I am qualified to put forth my opinion. Some folks have a tough time with it. I did the first time. But at last I actually read the thing and it truly is the best peice of epic / heroic fantasy ever written.
Steve

:cat:
Sitting here at work reading the Sil, listening to the middle-earth album, and popping into the forum for the nightly visit...in between EKGs, of course... 8) ...night shift has its perks... I must say I heartily agree that the Sil is a very good book. It jumps around in time a little from story to story and it follows a LOT of different characters on their little adventures but JRRT ties it all together in an intellegent way and it is hard to put down. It is certainly the next logical read if you have read the Hobbit and LOtR, especially if you are into "studying" middle earth lore, history, etc...or if you just want "a little more"...or a lot as it may be...

'...to drink the dainty meade of kings I never did aspire!' ::goes off singing::
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen