Currently reading...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:55 pm

oh...besides the fact that a friend of mine from school who is well aquainted with Tolkien's works told me, when I mentioned that I wanted to read the Sil, that I would never get through it and it just wasnt gonna happen...well...that lit my fire...and I didnt regret it, so go for it! :wink:
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:44 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I'm reading the latest David Gemmell book, though I never checked the title and its not close. But its good. Sam - ever try Worm Oroborus yet? For scope and language you can't beat it.
Steve
Now that I actually am forcing myself to read non-Tolkien books, I would indeed like to read it... but apparently it's not in the St. Paul Public Library's ocean of books. Is this a rare book? Where did you get your copy?

Oh, and while I'm at it, any other suggestions for books to read? (note: i hate most science fiction)
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:32 pm

Its on Amazon.com so it must be back in print.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:33 pm

Lord Dunsany - The King of Elflands Daughter :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:49 pm

I got a BN gift card for Father's Day so I picked up The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. I heard him discussing the book on NPR and it piqued my interest. He also wrote The Elegant Universe

Fabric is about the latest theories and "understandings" of how Space and Time work, and how they are contructed. I have not "started" the book but have browsed it.

He has a wy of discussing issues that is more conceptual than overly scientific and mathematic. ALmost like reading the philosophy of astrophysics. A lot like Hawking.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:07 pm

Brian,

Done with the Sil. It's yours come Friday. Well...not really YOURS, I do want it back.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:13 pm

w00t! Thanks jen- by the way, if for some odd reason I don't get a hold of you before Friday, I *WAS* able to get Froday off, so I plan to be up there no later than 12 noon =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:03 am

I recently started Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. Wow. That guy is so cool!! He has such a grasp of the spiritual side of things, but he's so down to earth and practical at ths same time. As I once heard him described, he's a hearty, beer-drinking, cigar-smoking msytic! :lol: He's so quotable - at least once on every page comes an image or play on words that makes you stop in your tracks, think about it, and wonder at how amazingly ingenious it is before moving on. He cuts straight to the heart of matters in a direct, clear way. It's a very deep, amusing, and thought-provoking read. I highly recommend it. Even if you don't agree with him, you'll enjoy him anyway. :D
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:17 am

I just finished reading Peggy Noonan's book on Ronald Reagan, 'When Character Was King'. Well-written, thoughtful and very, very interesting. Great insight into how Mr. Reagan thought and felt about things, how he got into politics, and many other stories. It's prompted me to seek out other books on him but I haven't started any others just yet (because of course school owns my life).

April
www.theprogpalace.com

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:17 am

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan of Cimmeria, Book 1) Robert Howard
Guilty pleasure! I just finished The Charwoman's Shadow by Lord Dunsany.
Steve

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:36 am

Anyone ever read "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield?

Great book- although it is a bit 'mystic' at times, it does offer some nice insight into how the world around us 'could' work.
Brian Nielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:33 pm

anyone read Katherine Kurtz's Deryni chronicles? hey sam you should like this one, it kinda features the church in it, lol...i've also heard that her sieres entitled the Chamber Chronicles is good as well...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:53 am

I just started reading the Silmarillion! =)

Why oh WHY couldn't Tolkien just use ONE name for all the different beings?!
Did one person REALLY need 37,002 names? ;-)
:twisted:
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:34 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I just started reading the Silmarillion! =)

Why oh WHY couldn't Tolkien just use ONE name for all the different beings?!
Did one person REALLY need 37,002 names? ;-)
:twisted:
Stick with it. Its like climbing Everest. The view from the top can't be beat, but the climb is hell!
GO MAN GO!
Steve

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:20 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Steve! :D

I also just read a neat book on many various ways of looking at philosophy of The Lord of the rings titled;

The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All (Popular Culture and Philosophy Series)
by Gregory Bassham, Eric Bronson (link to Amazon)

(Thanks Jen, great gift!)

This really ties together many of the discussions we have already been having on the forums here, and I highly recommend it. It takes veiwpoints from many leading scholars of Philosophy, and shows us a little deeper wisdom to be gleaned by the story.
Brian Nielsen