Any Fantasy Recommendations?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:48 pm

Whelan's done some better pictures than that of Elric. See if you can find a his cover to Stormbringer, The Sailor on the Sea of Fate, or Elric at the End of Time.

Robert Gould also does an awesome Elric.

According to Moorcock, the films are being "talked" about, so I guess that doesn't mean anything for certain. One name being kicked around to play the albino prince of ruins is Jude Law. Let's hope something gets done this time. In the 80's, so the story goes, Eric Bloom of Blue Oyster Cult tried to develop a film - David Bowie was first choice for Elric. Wendy Pini of Elquest fame also developed ideas for an animated movie. You can find a book with her drawings on ebay sometimes.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:25 am

There's a connection between John Carter of Mars and Moorcock that I just found. Apparently in the 60's, Moorcock wrote a trilogy called "Cane (or Kane) of Old Mars) which is a tribute of sorts to Burroghs. Anyone read them? I've found them on Amazon and added them to my wish list. I can't resist!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:33 am

Yeah -- they're not bad. He has updated them sort of. If you get the omnibus from White Wolf, the stories have become a part of his Eternal Champion saga.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:34 am

milomorai wrote:Yeah -- they're not bad. He has updated them sort of. If you get the omnibus from White Wolf, the stories have become a part of his Eternal Champion saga.

Shall do!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Sat May 13, 2006 5:18 pm

CanarioAB wrote:One of my favorites is a series of 4 volumes by Mary Stewart. They are centered around King Arthur, and are entitled The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, and The Wicked Day.
Those are excellent and often overlooked by many fantasy readers.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

slig

Post by slig » Tue May 23, 2006 10:13 pm

I would have to recomend THE WHEEL OF TIME books by ROBERT JORDAN those are great.
GLASS HAMMER ROCKS!!!!!

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:52 pm

after reading "The guide" I have had enough humor and space for the time being.

I'm looking for a Fantasy-series with is completed (so no Robert Jordan or song of fire and ice) and well.. fun to read while on holidays. I prefer a easy read with a good story and characters, some love some war..
and an Ultimate Evil Guy to beat up of course! :twisted: :lol:

any ideas?
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:22 pm

you might try Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Fun read throughout with compelling characters and good plotting. The first book is Assassin's Apprentice.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:47 pm

Thimon wrote:after reading "The guide" I have had enough humor and space for the time being.

I'm looking for a Fantasy-series with is completed (so no Robert Jordan or song of fire and ice) and well.. fun to read while on holidays. I prefer a easy read with a good story and characters, some love some war..
and an Ultimate Evil Guy to beat up of course! :twisted: :lol:

any ideas?
David Gemmel - Legend
There are others in the series, but each novel is complete.