Any Fantasy Recommendations?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:57 pm

I don't think any good fantasy list is complete without Roger Zelazny's original Amber series: Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, The Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, and The Courts of Chaos.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:47 am

Most definitely!

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:13 am

And we bounce back to Doubting Thomas...
theHermit wrote:When he wakes up in the Land he is confronted with being some sort of reincarnated hero, which he thinks is rubbish, coming from his world's perspective. As I recall, the rape doesn't occur until midway through the first series, but then the daughter that results from this plays an important role in the Land so there are interesting plot developments that evolve from this event.
While Covenant was an anti-hero, Donaldson made him just too unlikeable. I remember the whining getting to me too. One of the most poignant results of the rape is the reactions of the parents who know that Covenant is both the rapist of their daughter and a reincarnated hero whom they must aid to save The Land.

Rather than reading TC again, I'd for his Gap series (see SF thread), which while still being tough going, at least has a likeable main character.

Well, that's Donaldson, and I brought up Pullman. Anybody think they can be more controversial? How about Anne Bishop?

Incidentally, War of the Flowers by Terry Goodkind and Doomsday Book by Connie Willis are both excellent reading, and not controversial at all.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:02 pm

I've been meaning to check out War of the Flowers. Thanks for bringing it up!

As to an earlier post about the later books in the Pullman books, FWIW, I thought the series finished very strong and didn't note a dropoff in storytelling as it progressed. YMMV.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Am I the only one here who was into the early Xanth novels? I think its Flo that hated puns so much, she would have really hated Xanth. I thought the first few were pretty good.
Also, are there no Conan fans among us?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Love Conan -- only the Howard stories though.

What about Leiber? Can we discuss fantasy reading without Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser?
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:54 pm

I liked Robert Jordan's Conan books. Though I totally prefer the Howard books, which are currently be re-released in the original form.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Have any of you tried the Wheel of Time Series? Ugh. The first books were really good, but then he kept on adding more and more characters till it made you want to barf.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:35 pm

alien2112 wrote:Have any of you tried the Wheel of Time Series? Ugh. The first books were really good, but then he kept on adding more and more characters till it made you want to barf.
I always had the feeling that the publishers wanted to make certain that the series never ended. I read one of them and thought it okay. Julie loved them for awhile but got tired around book 5. We met Robert Jordan a few years back. He's a very nice fellow.
Steve

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:48 pm

Steve, I enjoyed A Spell for Chameleon but I think that's the only Xanth novel I've read.

The Conan books I'll add to my list.

Anyone here read Michael Moorcock's Elric series? Great stuff, IMHO.

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:04 pm

ELRIC RULES! Did you hear that they're planning 3 films based on the original books? Can't wait to see if it happens this time.

Moorcock's Hawkmoon is fast and fun reading too. So is Corum.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:02 pm

Once upon a time I was a big fan of Elric. I'd love to see him on the big screen. Also - John Carter of Mars is going to the big screen. I loved the Mars books when I was a teenager. Anyone else read those?
Steve

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 pm

I hadn't heard Elric is coming to the big screen, but I would love to see it happen!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:31 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
alien2112 wrote:Have any of you tried the Wheel of Time Series? Ugh. The first books were really good, but then he kept on adding more and more characters till it made you want to barf.
I always had the feeling that the publishers wanted to make certain that the series never ended. I read one of them and thought it okay. Julie loved them for awhile but got tired around book 5. We met Robert Jordan a few years back. He's a very nice fellow.
Steve
Next time you meet him, tell him not to listen to his publishers. :P

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:35 pm

I never heard of Elric until I saw a certain Michael Whelan pic and wondered what character it was. I did some searching on Google and found out.

Here's the picture I saw--- it's seventh down center.
http://www.arthistory.cc/html/michelwhelan/images1.htm

I might try the series sometime.